Has anyone got an SPV to work on O2????

Guest petermerritt

Guest petermerritt

Hi,

much ripping out of hair, got myself a nice SPV unlocked it but whatever I try I cannot get WAP or GRPs to work on my phone, has anyone had any luck?

Peter

much ripping out of hair, got myself a nice SPV unlocked it but whatever I try I cannot get WAP or GRPs to work on my phone, has anyone had any luck?

The GPRS settings (Access Point Names) can vary depending on what O2 account you have. Try some of the GPRS settings in the repository (page 2) and see if any work for you ?

Note: Tick 'Auto detect settings' in IE and then http://(address) will use the Internet connection and wsp://(address) will use the WAP connection.

Guest adriandaz

got mine working, after about 2 hours of fiddling around, I'd prefer my traffic to use GPRS but I think it dials up, but I don't know as the G symbol is always on.

any ideas?

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petermerritt

Hello!

Got umm it working, but its dialing up.. so thats not using GPRS right? Anyway I get 5 hours of it free a month on my o2 sim which only costs me 10 pounds a month.. BUT.... How do you get MMS to work? Do you have to have GPRS for this to work? I'm still confused what GPRS is and WAP is... anyone wana explain?

thanks loads!

Peter

Guest bulletproofbrook

yeah, got my spv to work, been cool for a month or 2. but no gprs. you can get o2 to enable it, but if it is a sim card older than about a year - like mine, you will have to upgrade to a better sim. good luck!!

Guest petermerritt

I mean i can get on the net but it dials up with the little arrow things above signal bars.. if i try to use GRPS you get the little G above the signal bars... but i never get connected? do you need to register with O2 i wonder!?!

I have a really old o2 sim. I got it in the Genie days. The two arrows means you are accessing the full internet via GSM dial up using the free 300 minutes that we get. To get gprs and mms working, you have to ring o2 and tell them to activate it on the account, both GPRS and MMS. Then when it's activated, you can tell by a white box with a G inside it in the task bar of the spv. Then you can access WAP pages only via GPRS free of charge. When using a gprs connection, a G symbol appears in the signal strength meter.

Guest petermerritt

yeh the BIG G is always on on my phone but still cant get MMS or GRPS it dials with the little G above signal bars but no pages come up or ne thing..... help!!! :)

Hi petermerritt

Try and get the WAP connection (WAP over GPRS) working first as O2 will have activate this service by default. Try this topic http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=1027...hlight=payandgo

I used to have the GSM dialup for the Internet connection because it allowed HTML browsing whereas the GPRS WAP access point blocked it (may have changed since).

I think only the O2 contract SIM gives a full GPRS internet connection with APN mobile.o2.co.uk

do you mean normal pages as full html pages?

if so then could you tell me if your using pay as you go or not?

also how you got HTML pages through gprs working. A man at o2 told me i can't access full web pages through GPRS as i am on pay as you go.

Guest adriandaz

full HTML pages, cause I was checking the IP of my phone on www.whatismyip.com

yes I am on PAYG, Online TalkAlot Tariff

I used a guide on here, which I am trying to find.

I can't access it and i have those settings! can you access modaco? if so then you probably can access full html and i can't because i have an old genie sim. Or the bloke at o2 doesn't know anything.

the gprs settings are the same as GPRS wasn't about when genie was around, i think. So it hasn't got it's own server or whatever. So same settings.

I can only access wap pages with gprs.

Guest adriandaz

as quoted from the repository:

O2 settings for Genie account  

Create proxy  

Description : O2 WAP proxy  

The Internet, WAP Network, 193.113.200.195, WAP  

Create GPRS connection  

Description: O2 WAP  

The Internet, wap.o2.co.uk, geniewap, password  

Create Dial Up connection  

Description: O2 CSD  

The Internet, 44, 7712, 927927, geniewap, password  

In data connection make  

Internet connection=O2 CSD (uses HTTP for HTML & WML pages)  

WAP connection = O2 WAP or O2 CSD (uses WSP for WML pages)  

In Internet explorer, tick 'Automatically detect settings'.

Edit: added you on MSN.