Working around +44 bug on SMS

Guest Cent

Here is a workaround on the top of my head:

Export all your contacts to a CSV file from Outlook. Open it in your favourite editor and do a search and replace on all of your contacts to add the +44 in front of it. Then re-import your contacts. I am not sure but I guess this will work.

I had also far too many contacts. But I didn't want them all on my phone. Hence I created a new contacts folder and made Outlook use it as my default. Now I use this one to sync. May too be another workaround

Guest Third_of_Five

I use categories to filter the contats that are sync'd with my SPV. I just add "Mobile" to the categories field and only sync those.

Not sure what happens when I add a new contact on the phone tho... Humm...

Guest ashes01

All Orange shops have a facility called memory mate. Just buy a card off em for about £3.

This will allow you to back up all your numbers onto a memory mate card and one of the features of the machine they have in their shops is to internationalize all your numbers. You can use their memory service as much as you like in any shop for ever. Did all mine in seconds...

nice

I've been trying to write a macro in outlook that looks at all number fields and replaces the first digit with a '+44' if the number does not begin with '+'. I've got as far as reading all the numbers and producing the corrected number but I cannot save the darn things yet. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Will let you know when I've made progress or some guru can finish off my code?

Guest ferpferp

Hi, I wrote a macro to do the same sort of thing to my contacts in Outlook XP.

To save the phone numbers after you change them, you have to use a 'Save' method of the item.

It's something like:

contactitem.HomePhoneNumber = "1234567890"

contactitem.save

Hope this helps.

Ferps.

sorry about the long post ...just incase anybody wants the code .... hope it fits on the pages OK :oops:

' this code will replace a leading digit with +44 if the

' specified field does not begin with a '+'

Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set myNameSpace = myOlApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")

Set myContacts = myNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)

For Each myItem In myContacts.Items

If (myItem.MobileTelephoneNumber <> "" And Not (myItem.MobileTelephoneNumber Like "+*")) Then

myItem.MobileTelephoneNumber = "+44" & Right(myItem.MobileTelephoneNumber, (Len(myItem.MobileTelephoneNumber) - 1))

myItem.Save

End If

Next

Note that this will only do it for mobilenumber1 ..... you can find the names of the other fields in the object browser and set them too.