Megadrive Emulator READ 1st POST

Guest retro

Guest unclelimey
make sure the exe and the bin are in the root of the storage card

and rename the rom to s.bin

same for both exe's

sorry.. being a bit dumb here... root?

you mean drag the files into the storage card folder?

if thats what you mean, then they are already there.

:oops:

Guest scott2eyes
You'll need to put this executable in the root of your Storage Card, then you'll need to find the ROM file for Sonic 1, using Google (because it would be illegal to post it here).  Rename the sonic rom to "s.bin", and put it in the root of your storage card.  Then run PicoDrive.exe using SmartExplorer.

dwhite32- You need to put both the files in the root of the Storage Card, then run picodrive using Smart Explorer.

Guest unclelimey

ahh, got it working now.... looking good, hope someone gets this finished... they may receive instant "god like status" among the smartphone community

nice one :D

Guest maxh2003
shame about controls. but its a start

We need a consensus on how the keys should work - or better yet, redefinable keys.

Meanwhile attached, a hybrid between my version and muff's version. That means full-screen ;) and keys are now different again -

Joystick - UDLR

Volume Up - A

Volume Down - B

Left Soft Button or Keypad 2 - C

Keypad 1 - Start

Keypad 4 - Quit

Keypad 5 - Reload

Keypad 7 - Screenshot

I've mailed Dave, the author (and he must be sick of us smartphone types by now...) to start running a proper smartphone port, but I'll put up the source code (it's not mine, after all) so anyone can bodge their own version for Smartphone too :lol:

Obviously the first things we need are:

a) a proper file selector

:P redefinable keys

c) a proper blanking-out of the screen so you don't get that nasty view of the window behind ;-)

Any other suggestions? Please don't say add sound support :D

PicoDrive.zip

c) a proper blanking-out of the screen so you don't get that nasty view of the window behind ;-)

take a look again at my code m8 - it does this - it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than nothing

Guest agent.m

We need a consensus on how the keys should work - or better yet, redefinable keys.

Meanwhile attached, a hybrid between my version and muff's version. That means full-screen ;) and keys are now different again -

Joystick - UDLR

Volume Up - A

Volume Down - B

Left Soft Button or Keypad 2 - C

Keypad 1 - Start

Keypad 4 - Quit

Keypad 5 - Reload

Keypad 7 - Screenshot

I've mailed Dave, the author (and he must be sick of us smartphone types by now...) to start running a proper smartphone port, but I'll put up the source code (it's not mine, after all) so anyone can bodge their own version for Smartphone too :lol:

Obviously the first things we need are:

a) a proper file selector

:P redefinable keys

Any other suggestions? Please don't say add sound support :D

it started being naughty and moving by itself on strider :cry:

Guest maxh2003

Now has a bodged file requester, good enough for the time being. It's *heavily* based on the PocketMVP file requester, so more kudos to malloc for making the source available. Hopefully I'll replace it with something a bit cuter but this should suffice for now :D

EDIT again, now it should work whether you put ROMs in "Storage Card", "SDMMC", "IPSM", or just about anywhere else ;)

PicoDrive.zip

Guest retro

WOW great work. this emulator is getting better and better..

I have tryed this new version in a sub folder and it now works ok, and the roms in a different folder. and it picked them up ok..

keep up the good work,.

retro. :D

Guest unclelimey

on sonic 1... i got to act 3 of the first zone... when i face the first boss, as soon as i hit him once, the emulator turns itself off and goes back to the home screen

this happened everytime i got to this point in the game

Guest maxh2003

The bad news of course is that we are entirely beholden on FinalBurn Dave for the actual emulator code (unless anyone round here is a Megadrive emulation expert, which I'm certainly not). Please don't mail him asking when game xxx will start working! Obviously we're all way too polite to do anything like that.

The good news is that he's still developing the app - indeed, he was kind enough to send an updated version of the emulator core to me yesterday. I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but he reckons it's giving about a 30% speed increase on PocketPC, and I would therefore expect the same increase on Smartphone. So there is hope for more, faster games in future.

I'll try to put a new version of PicoDrive for Smartphone together tonight (no promises but I'll do my best). I'm going to set up a "proper" page to host it from at gamesforsmartphones.com - the updated source code will be available in due course too, so anyone who fancies a hack can do so, and if I'm feeling ambitious I'll explain how to compile it too - creating Cyclone.obj is the key, but it's a bit non-standard.

Guest jazuk

Well i never post on here, just check the news etc..but after having a play on sonic 1, what a joy.

Thanks to all who worked on this..very appreciated.

Guest maxh2003
sonic 1 - crashes when you meet the first boss

Curious. I managed to defeat the first boss and get onto the next stage...?

Looks like the thing is a bit temperamental then. I guess I should add logging code (and enable the built-in logging in the emulation core) so that when the thing crashes, we can see what it was up to. Another medium-term goal there, then... :D

when I get round to building the PicoDrive for Smartphone web page I can (obviously) condense them into a proper reference works/doesn't-work page.

Guest quacka

It would be good to have the keys definable.

I have mpx200 and would be much better using the d-pad for movement and the numeric keys for the buttons

also flipping the screen the other way around would also be good but then i would be asking for too much :D

Guest maxh2003

Keys need to be definable, certainly. Different games will probably benefit from different key setups, as well as phone differences.

flipping the screen the other way around

Do you mean landscape, but the other way round, or do you mean portrait, as per *my* (not muff's) first EXE?

I certainly want the thing to have a portrait mode - even though the screen won't fit particularly well - to allow one-handed gaming (oo-err missus). But now muff has shown me how to handle the screen rotation, I don't see why there shouldn't be a rotate key that lets you have any of the four possible rotations. Will bear it in mind when I next get a chance to attack the code.

Guest yarod_g14

Thanks Guys!

Its amazing how fast this runs!

There was recently a port of a SNES EMU made for WM 2003(pocketpc). I really wanted to work on this but Im just too inexperienced. The emu loads but there are no keys defined.

Would it be just as simple to port it like this one?

Guest maxh2003
SNES EMU made for WM 2003(pocketpc)

Would it be just as simple to port it like this one?

Erm... possibly... can you see any calls to "GetAsyncKeyState()" in it, assuming it's written in eVC? The statement reads key states (!) and that'd be where you'd change the keys that the program tests - for instance, GetAsyncKeyState(0x30) will read the status of the Zero key, on smartphones.

On the other hand, if it uses the stylus to read input, it'd be a more involved job...?

Guest quacka

I was talking about landscape the other way around. Then yo can have the screen on the left and the dpan can be controlled by your left hand and buttons with your right hand like a real control pad.

Keep up the good work maxh2003.