BETA PLAYER, new player, BEST Player

Guest xavierjohn22

Guest The PocketTV Team
i got reports of stuttering when i didn't call SHIdleTimerReset with audio playback (for a few seconds i have it too. and it's quite annoying when you start audio playback "close" the phone and after few minutes (what you set in homescreen timer) the audio stutters) i think media player calls it too. but i will add an option so the user can decide.

Are you sure the "stuttering" is not caused by something else, like the Registry flushing ?

Have you tried increasing the priority of the decoding thread ? You can increase the priority to "above normal", no need to be privileged to do that.

Guest picard_beta

i don't know what happens underneath, but it's definitly in connection whether i call SHIdleTimerReset or not.

thanks. i will try the priority increase. do you think i should increase it during normal (foreground) playback too?

Guest The PocketTV Team
i don't know what happens underneath, but it's definitly in connection whether i call SHIdleTimerReset or not.

thanks. i will try the priority increase. do you think i should increase it during normal (foreground) playback too?

it should not hurt, but my philosophy is: "if it isn't bkoke, don't fix it". In other words, if things work, don't change anything, you may introduce some unforeseen problem.

increasing the priority will just guarantee that your app will run when it needs to, to the detriment of lower priority apps. if you app is correctly programmed and does not contain any free-spinning polling loops, it should not use more CPU when you increase the priority, and in case of stuttering, if will probably run better.

if you have polling loops (with no call to Sleep in the loop), then you should not increase the priority, as it will just waste more CPU cycles and reduce battery life.

Guest steverae

Are they any skins for this yet? I have installed the windows media plugins and they work flawlessly, now just need a wm skin then i can remove media player all together.....

let me know.

Guest De-GeXte
you mean the screen doesn't turn off? or the backlight has different levels?

i think the screen won't turn off completly because i constantly call a function which prevents the homescreen to auto return. if it would return the audio would stutter for a while (or maybe when the screen turns off, i'am not sure anymore).

I'll explain my situation.

I want to use my phone as a portable mp3 player. I use Beta player for this and then press the "home" button to show the homescreen. Then i hold the red button to lock the keypad and put the phone into my pocket. Now i would like the screen to completely turn off cuz i wont be looking at it anymore while betaplayer is playing audio.

If you don't want the screen to turn off completely by default, plz make it an options so i can switch it on.

much appreciated

Guest picard_beta

i understand. but i can't turn the screen off. at least the function for that doesn't work on mpx200 and mio8390. but i will add an option to let the default 'screen off' timeout turn off the screen. but this solution has a problem. the audio may stutter for a while after the screen turns off. the priority settings suggested by PocketTV team didn't help (tried the highest).

Guest The PocketTV Team
i understand. but i can't turn the screen off. at least the function for that doesn't work on mpx200 and mio8390. but i will add an option to let the default 'screen off' timeout turn off the screen. but this solution has a problem. the audio may stutter for a while after the screen turns off. the priority settings suggested by PocketTV team didn't help (tried the highest).

Just like someone mentionned, this may be cause by some special low-power mode in which the device goes after the timeout, to save battery power.

e.g. maybe it slows down the processor speed a lot.

now you just have to practice your favorite pass-time (i mean, reverse engineering) and find out what WMP does when in wants to play in the background.

Guest picard_beta

i tried only SP2002 and WMP doesn't go to background. it probably calls the SHIdleTimerReset function too (if i manually go to home screen the playback stops)

update: there is an option for background play, but had to restart WMP. still the screen doesn't turn off. probably calls SHIdleTimerReset...

maybe the time has come for an OS update :)

Guest De-GeXte
but i will add an option to let the default 'screen off' timeout turn off the screen. but this solution has a problem. the audio may stutter for a while after the screen turns off.

Thx for adding the option :) i have to live with the stutter then

Hi Picard_Beta....when i try to enter a URL in the open file thing, when i press back to delete a character it just goes back to the main Beta Player screen!! i want to use the program for streaming media so it would be great if you fixed this, cant see it being hard to do :)

cheers

tom

Guest steverae

Will any skins become available for this player, like the ones pocketmvp had

Also is there a facility to save your playlist, otherwise whats the point of the load playlist feature.

Guest nedge2k

@Picard_beta

I cant seem to get beta player to run :? It's always worked fine before but it wont even start. I tried killing all apps and non-essential processes but still nothing. It does, however, tell me to give the crash.txt file (attached). Any i ideas whats causing this? I have been doing a bit of beta testing for a few people lately so it could be to do with that. Also, the link to the unstable versions seem to be dead so i havent been able to see if this is just a ver 0.04 problem.

Am using E200 with I-Mate rom btw.

crash.txt

Guest The PocketTV Team
@Picard_beta

I cant seem to get beta player to run :? It's always worked fine before but it wont even start. I tried killing all apps and non-essential processes but still nothing. It does, however, tell me to give the crash.txt file (attached). Any i ideas whats causing this? I have been doing a bit of beta testing for a few people lately so it could be to do with that. Also, the link to the unstable versions seem to be dead so i havent been able to see if this is just a ver 0.04 problem.

Am using E200 with I-Mate rom btw.

Most likely that's because you have installed it in the phone, rather than on a SD card.

Try installing it on an SD card, it will probably solve your problem.

When installed in the phone, Betaplayer may crash randomly because of a bug in the IPSM driver. The same happened to us. In PocketTV we had the same problem, but we implemented a workaround. Picard know about the problem, but the current version of Betaplayer does not have the workaround. The IPSM bug affects mostly large applications and causes wrong code pages to be executed randomly. The only known workaround is that the application makes a full copy of itself (and all its dll's) in RAM and executes itself by running this copy, and then removes the copy when it terminates (to not waste precious RAM memory).

Unfortunately there is currently no way to detect if a particular device has the IPSM bug. I hope none of the new Smartphones running WM2003SE have the bug, but most Smartphones 2002 have it and some Smartphones 2003 have it too.

Guest nedge2k

Yeh i thought it might have been that too but its not :)

I had ver 0.02 (only have a 64SD so dont watch movies on the phone much) installed to the phone....had no problems then went to use it tonight and it wouldnt open. Upgraded (uninstalled 0.02 first) to ver 0.04...same bug whether on the phone or the SD. Another, possibly related, problem im having is that my backlight stays on for like half an hour when the reg says its set to 5 seconds :shock: hence why i thought a background process was causing the problem. It prolly time for a hard reset but i wanna find out what the crash log says first. Thanks anyway.

Guest The PocketTV Team

> i thought a background process was causing the problem. It prolly time for a http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset but i wanna find out what the crash log says first.

Turning the phone OFF then ON is like a soft-reset of a Pocket PC, it will kill any background process and reboot the phone in a (hopefully) clean state...

Guest nedge2k

I always soft reset after i uninstall a program and after i install one :) In fact...i cant actually remember a time when my phone has been on for 24hrs straight :P But some of the programs ive been testing call the processes at startup and these have, at times, conflicted with other programs so they have to be killed manually or stopped from running at startup.

Guest picard_beta

not much. it crashed probably in a system call. i found a possible problem, but not sure it causes the crash. i will upload a new build tonight.

Whats going on with the latest unstables ? they are not listed at either of the previously mentioned download addresses (the plugins one just redirects to the other one :shock: ). All that are listed are the plugins, is there a 0.9 ? or are they just plugins for 0.8.2 :? (the main 0.8.2 version is not listed either). I already have the 0.8.2 and was hoping 0.9 would fix the issues with the c500, can anyone confirm this missing download (it might just be my pc) ?