A simple question....

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Well actually, 2 simple questions for Microsoft.

1) Why oh why is embedded VB not supported on SmartPhone 2002?

2) Why oh why is .NET Compact Framework not supported on SmartPhone 2002?

As an ex-VB developer now working the ways of .NET in real life (as an official Everett beta tester, and having completed Guerrilla .NET I might add), this is a crying shame for me :D

P

Guest rcraswell

I'm not Microsoft, but I'll give you an answer:

1. Space - there's barely enough room on the current devices for the OS as it is.

2. Time - additional interfaces require additional testing time/resources.

The official response from Microsoft is that they can neither confirm nor deny that .Net CF will be in a future version of the Smartphone OS, but that it's "really important" and they're working "really hard" on the problem.

Future phones will have more memory and so will have correspondingly more space for this sort of thing.

--ron

Guest Paul [MVP]

Memory is cheap nowadays, they should have lumped a bit more in.

I would love to run an online course for all the forum members about how to program their SPVs, but Embedded C is just not the way to do it :D

P

Guest HelloDave

Never having used embededded VB before I could be wrong here, but VB on the desktop is slow enough; on a smartphone I would have thought it'd crawl! eVC may not be easy but it's more efficient, though it'd be good to have eVB as well - I never did get that far with Windows programming in C; always thought learning Japanese would be easier! :wink:

Then again, what do I know - I learnt Java!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alistair

How close is the current ARM instruction set to the one that was used for the Acorn machines?

I could program in assembly on an Acorn machine no problem - but would need to learn the IRQs and APIs for the SPV.

Guest Kallisti

Actually, eVC has a lot of advantages, not least the streamlined code it can produce etc. Second is that it's able to mirror the WinAPI pretty closely, thereby giving quite a few pre-trained programmers...

Finally, not having to have the bloatware of all the VB libraries onboard means less memory wastage, and less cpu wastage. That means a cheaper phone, which looked a pretty important factor on the SPV

Ok guys Im new to programming to program for the SPV whats the best language to learn (C++, XML etc) or what and where can I get programs to program and compile with these and also where do I start I have no idea do I write the program compile it and then see what happens?? Im buying loads of books and am going to learn it please help me ;)