upgrade to Mobile 2003 SE?

Guest the bishop

Guest Celestial

I wouldn't hold out hope for that. They are already coming out with their next handset :)

While that would be the best solution to fix the GAPI issue and increase performance I doubt they will do that. Costs time and money :lol:

Guest squall

so far there have been no updates to a different version of the OS on any smartphone. Only updates to improve the pre installed version

Guest schriss

And stupid Mitac doesn't even want to "improve", or actually FIX 8390 (GAPI) :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have Mitac's support replay, update for 8390 is not scheduled :cry:

Guest kiokoman
We will wait forever  

Here is what Mitac support wrote me:  

sorry for this,  

so far we can''t have the plan to update the os.  

it can support the java game. (Great, stupid java, really great...  )

have you asked for a OS upgrade or for a ROM upgrade?

i think we do not need an OS upgrade but a ROM upgrade in order to remove all the bugs and i think this is surely coming out

Guest schriss

I hope you are right, but I asked exactly about GAPI problem and an upgrade which would fix that. Replay was that there are no updates for Mio 8390 scheduled :cry:

Guest the bishop

oh well. :/

I'm now looking at when the MPx comes out, and will sell this phone off -- it's a great phone and I've got a long list of buyers here locally to me. Also looking at other "big name" phones meaning SE, Nokia, Moto, Panasonic, etc ....

seems these smaller companies like Mitac have no budget to fix their current platforms, but as is the 8390 will be good for now.

Guest schriss

I'm going to keep my 8390, there is no better smartphone for me out there right now... I will have to live with (or without :) ) the GAPI :cry:

Guest the bishop

I'm going to sell mine while it's still new and others around here will pay what it costs on ebay for it (which is what I paid) and I'll just get a small non smart phone for now and wait until a "real" smartphone comes out.

real = does not release a phone w/issues w/o fixing them. Also has an office in the U.S.

Guess I learned not to buy overseas brand new stuff w/o reading about the issues the guinea pigs are having. I don't like being a guinea pig!

Guest Celestial

The problems you are having with the Mitac have nothing to do with software but with how software for these types of machines will be handled by the manufacturers or carriers.

Remember, support for smartphones like other types of phones are provided by the service provider in the US.

For instance, the MPX200 a 2202 Smarphone sold by ATT Wireless. People complained about battery life and other issues but ATT is not going to spend the money to upgrade the ROM. This problem is not going away with a US-basded provider. If the ROM does get upgraded (which is still possible because they did demonstrate 2003SE on an MPX200 some time ago) it is because of the user complaints.

BTW the MPX220 is coming out with ATT Wireless and it will be Smartphone 2003SE.

Guest the bishop

aha sweet. now that I've calmed down and have an idea of what is going on with this, I'm going to fix it up and see what's going on w/it. I'd like to see the MPX220, as that seems to be a good phone as well. :)

Guest schriss

MPX220?? No, I prefer Mio 8390, it has much more memory (20MB program memory free) while mpx220 has 7MB free. Not enough for me. For me mpx220 is nothing exciting.

Guest markgamber

I was eyeing the 300 until I found out that it a) Runs the Pocket PC OS, not smartphone and :) it was going to be priced just short of $1000. There's absolutely no chance in hell I'm laying out that much for a freakin phone so I opted for the 8390. The 300 would have been nice if it was HALF that price. Maybe next year.

Guest the bishop

ugh, that sucks. I didn't know that was the price -- sucks.

sounds like the 8390 IS the best out there so far. :)

Guest markgamber

Well, don't take that as gospel, that was the last price I saw listed. It was a couple months ago, if I recall correctly, but it was straight from the horse's mouth. If my Everlink hadn't fried when it did, I would have held out for an MPx100. Funny how things work out...I couldn't have asked for more with the Mitac.

Guest the bishop

yes, this one does rule -- I just must learn more about it I think -- that is my issue. :)

who is your provider again?

and what program did you use for MMS stuff?

Guest pwest13

Man my 8390 is in the post from an Ebayer, I reckon its gonna take a while just short of 2 weeks :)

Sounds like it will be worth it tho!

I got it for £230 all in all, i think its a good deal. Whaddya Reckon guys?

Guest the bishop

what's that come out to be in US$? if its from x1387 that is a great deal - i think they're selling for like $385 or something on ebay now?