GPS and i600

Guest amanson

Guest amanson

Are there any applications that can use the GPS capability of the i600? In the phone settings, I found a GPS setting that can be set to '911 only' or 'Location on'. Are there any map programs out there that can be used with this function?

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nukl3ar

The only map program I've been able to get to install at all has been Mappoint. I, too, found the "location on" setting. When I first installed Mappoint and downloaded a map of this area the location indicated on the map was almost exactly where my apartment is located. Since then however, it has not shown the location where I am when run. I've also bought Pocket Streets but have been unable to get it to install via Activesync. I dont know if it's possible to get a reciever to connect to the i600 or not. Anyone that knows please reply.

Guest Malkie

That is why I've been waiting for the 2003 OS as it has Bluetooth support and with a bluetooth SD card, GPS company software (there are many to choose from) and a BT GPS reciever and voila! That new OS will open up a plethera of new capabilities for this phone, Bluetooth hands free headsets... new drivers in the OS may even allow for 1.3 Mpxl SD cameras, FM radio recievers, TV recievers,.. there is no reason that the i600 could not do what a Pocket PC handheld PDA can do already with a little more time. Hope springs eternal! -MalKiE

not Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Malkie

Posted by Nukl3ar, 'Newbie', on Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:02 pm "I've also bought Pocket Streets but have been unable to get it to install via Activesync"

Nukl3ar you may have to go to 'explore' in the activesync window click on the yellow PDA icon "My Device" (mine says "My Smartphone" In the tree click on IPSM>Windows>Start Menu There you will find two folders one called 'games' the other named 'accessories' go to 'accessories'. You will need to right click on the .exe or .cab file extention in your desktops Program files> Pocket Streets and choose 'copy' then right click in the open space of the "accessories" and choose 'paste' you will then see a window pop up sputtering something about conversion. don't sweat this. Now on your phone soft key 'Programs>more>(how many mores depends on how many program links you already have installed) but 'more' until you get to the page with accessories folder on it and open it. There you should now see the .exe icon for Pocket Streets move your cursor down until it's highlighted and then press the softkey for "OK" that should begin the installation of the program giving you the option to put it on the phone or on yor SD card if it's big enough. I hope this has been helpful and if it works (and it should) let me know how the Pocket Streets program works. If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try to put instructions into a line by line format. Later. -MalKiE

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Nukl3ar

Sorry ... doesnt seem to work for me. The dowload came in a zip which expands to a folder. Copying either the entire folder to that location or just the setup.exe both result in the error message "This file is not a valid CE file" or some such nonsense.

Guest Malkie

That's odd %P I have 240 megs of apps on my 256 Mb SD card and I haven't had a problem with any of them and many of them had to be unzipped first as well. Our phone does run on the CE 3.1 platform so I'm not sure what the problem is. Not that it would be much help (and now I remember where I've seen your monacre before) you've already contacted Microsoft haven't you? Do you have the latest version of active sync 3.7.1? I would hang onto Pocket Streets until you get your phone upgraded to 2003. I have a feeling it will work flawlessly then. (though I've been wrong before) 8D If it dosen't work then I would return it to point of purchase and make a scene. you know, cry, scream, yell, and tell the story about how you traded the cow for the magic app and you don't want to climb the vines that grow from it once you throw it out the window and you definately don't want to have the giant "Microsoft" come crashing down on your house when you chop down the vines....etc. etc. etc. 8P -MalKiE

Guest Nukl3ar

I guess I'll wait for the update to 2003. Where do you remember the nick from? You're probably right but I'd like to be sure :D So far, I've not had much luck w/ support from MS for anything ... crying & whining has been totally unsuccessful no matter what I want them to support. I'm running the latest version of everything I can find for the phone. I've had real good luck w/ cabs installing ... most of my problems seem to be w/ anything that installs via activesync. maybe something I'm doing wrong.

Guest Malkie

Not sure maybe pdaphone.home or coolsmartphone.net maybe even on another forum here within MoDaCo. I could just be bleedin' bonkers but I know that somewhere in the last week I've seen your issue with Pocket Streets before. There are also a couple of other smartphone forum webpages that only have one or two postings as they did not catch on like this one has. I have surgical striked a couple and couldn't find my way back to them with bread crumbs from a gingerbread house at this point. 8P I have had some interesting problems with activesync myself and in fact just upgraded to 3.7.1 this morning. I'm running a two week old Gateway P4 3.0GHZ w/HTT, 800MHz FSB, 512Mb of 333MHz DDR SDRAM, WinXP/Home, and had my first problem with 3.7.0 late last night. thus the upgrade. 8 hours 2 minutes 45 seconds thus far with no problems. -MalKiE