Optimised Settings Hack

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

Been working on this for a few days, and was gonna wait until our file copier was finished, but think i may aswell release the info :D

Its possible to change the order of the Settings page, and even create your own settings pages pretty easily by simply changing some xml.

Attached are 3 files to show how this can be done. (to install these, just unzip the zip and copy the three diles into the Windows dir on the phone)

settings.jpg

The first is "root.cpl.xml", this is the main settings list, i've changed the order of the list so the options are in my most oftenly used sequence. And i've also added a new option called 'Options', this links to the second file called 'mid.cpl.xml' that has options from several options screens such as Alarm on/off, Alarm time, homescreen, ringtone all in one screen. The final file is a rearranged Date and Time screen (clock.cpl.xml), is it just me who thinks the standard order of this is just daft? the only reason for going into it is to turn the alarm on and off, so i've made that the first option now :D

custom.jpg

Right, lets try and explain how the list works:

In the file root.cpl.xml you'll see a list, the first part is the href, this is the file that the option links to, usually an xml file. The second part is the res, which is a number that associates the name of the setting, here is a list of the names (Smartphone 2002, Windows Mobile2003 has several more, which i'll list at a later date)....

res="30001"/> // About

res="30002"/> // Accessibility

res="30003"/> // Call Barring

res="30004"/> // Caller ID

res="30005"/> // Call Options

res="30006"/> // Timer Auto-Reset

res="30007"/> // Call Waiting

res="30008"/> // Voice Call Forwarding

res="30009"/> // Channels

res="30010"/> // Date and Time

res="30011"/> // Connection

res="30012"/> // Data Connections

res="30013"/> // Options

res="30014"/> // Currency Formats

res="30015"/> // Delete Colour Scheme

res="30016"/> // Delete Sounds

res="30017"/> // Display

res="30018"/> // Home Screen

res="30019"/> // Networks

res="30020"/> // Number Formats

res="30021"/> // Owner Information

res="30022"/> // Disable Phone Lock

res="30023"/> // Enable Phone Lock

res="30024"/> // Power Management

res="30025"/> // Preferred Networks

res="30026"/> // Regional Settings

res="30027"/> // Fixed Dialing

res="30028"/> // Fixed Dialing Numbers

res="30029"/> // Select Network

res="30030"/> // Sounds

res="30031"/> // Calendar Options

res="30032"/> // Conflict Settings

res="30033"/> // Connection Options

res="30034"/> // Contact Options

res="30035"/> // Inbox Options

res="30036"/> // PC Settings

res="30037"/> // Schedule

res="30038"/> // Telephony

res="30039"/> // Call Forwarding

res="30040"/> // Synchronisation

res="30041"/> // Calendar

res="30042"/> // Contacts

res="30043"/> // Inbox

res="30044"/> // Connection

res="30045"/> // Conflicts

res="30046"/> // Security

res="30047"/> // Unconditional

res="30048"/> // No Reply

res="30049"/> // Busy

res="30050"/> // Unavailable

res="30051"/> // Settings

The actual settings pages are slightly different, in that they contain characteristic and parameter types, but you should quite easily be able to copy bits from one settings page to another, looking at the mid.cpl.xml shows quite well how this can be acheived.

We will be creating a file copier very shortly that will copy these files over at bootup, as these pages will currently disappear if you reboot.

enjoy :lol:

customsettings.zip

customsettingswm2k3.zip

Guest drblow

:shock: Wow! Thats brilliant - I never thought that kind of stuff could be done! Excellent work again fella!! :wink:

The new 'options' menu could work really well with the e200 shortcuts/keyclicks thing, to link straight to a 'one size fits all' menu! Can't wait til the version that doesnt disappear on reboot!

Nice.

Guest midnight

Here's an interesting one, if you copy the battery meter to the main settings list (root.cpl.xml) it changes it into a scrolling list instead of a list with numbers :D

Guest midnight

pixelboy, because i havent really experimented with this a huge ammount, i dont know every trick with what can be done with this so instructions arent really necessary. This way when we find stuff we can post it here and share the info.

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Can you just use the Options menu alone?

Or, could you select for example an "Options" button in your menu which you can select, and the options appear?

Guest pixelboy
pixelboy, because i havent really experimented with this a huge ammount, i dont know every trick with what can be done with this so instructions arent really necessary. This way when we find stuff we can post it here and share the info.

Ahh Ok, cool. I guess without the file copier its not really viable anyway is it. I wait with baited breath for that.

Great work. :D

Guest midnight

ah cool, shame i never saw that earlier, would have sorted it out there and then, i actually came across this by accident, was trying to do something else (still trying, i'll reveal all if it works)

Guest avaishnavi

I unzipped the files and copied the 3 files to Windows directory. But I can see any change in my settings. What could be the reason.

I use Imate SP2 (new ROM).

Br

ajay

Guest SilenceTi

I got this weird bug in the Date and Time menu. When I set the alarm off, my alarm time and normal time are decreased by 1 hour. But at your new options menu, when I set the alarm off, everything is fine.

Thanks for the tips. However, has anyone figured out how to customise the phone to launch apps.

I guess that the GUIDs in the cpl.xml file (below) are dll ID's, but does anyone know the format of the dll's in question - i.e. which functions need to be exposed etc such that we can create our own dll's.

-