Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest mikeeey
I just completed the rewrite of my SN76496 emulator in ARM asm. I've decided to make it public so that other programmers can make use of it and perhaps improve upon it in the process. I'm releasing this code as an experiment to see how it's received by the community and perhaps continue releasing more source code in the future.

You can download it here: sn76496.zip

L.B.

awesome! when will you release your newest build with this code included?

Guest bitbank

I just released a new version (1.0.0 - see I took your advice). It includes SNES code for the Desktop PC, but not yet for WinMo. It will be a while before that code is ready. In the mean time you can try your favorite games to see if they work at all. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME SNES BUG REPORTS. I know it's in bad shape.

Some other useful fixes as well. Check out the site for more info:

SmartGear

L.B.

Guest bitbank

I just picked up a T-Mobile Shadow / HTC Juno

The main buttons don't seem to be responding properly in SmartGear, so I'll debug it and come up with a fix. Anyone else with this device experiencing problems with SG recognizing button presses?

Thanks,

L.B.

Update: I believe I've located the problem. I've seen this before on Palm Treo devices. Some of the phone function keys (off-hook, on-hook, etc), don't behave like normal buttons. Normally, when a button is pressed, it sends a WM_KEYDOWN message and when released it sends a WM_KEYUP message. This way, software can tell not only that it's been pressed, but that it's being held down and released. These "strange" buttons behave differently. When the button is pressed, nothing happens and when it's released it sends the WM_KEYDOWN message immediately followed by the WM_KEYUP message. This doesn't give software like game emulators enough time to detect that the key was pressed. I will create a fix for this so that "special" keys can be marked in the key definition dialog and they will simulate being pressed for a few milliseconds. They won't be useful for movement or even fire buttons because of needing to be released, but they can be used for things like START, SELECT, PAUSE and EXIT. Thoughts?

L.B.

Update Update - That worked! I need to clean up the keyboard definition dialog to allow this feature, but adding a fake "pressed time" of 10 frames works nicely. It will be included in the next release.

Edited by bitbank

Guest rushmore
I just released a new version (1.0.0 - see I took your advice). It includes SNES code for the Desktop PC, but not yet for WinMo. It will be a while before that code is ready. In the mean time you can try your favorite games to see if they work at all. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME SNES BUG REPORTS. I know it's in bad shape.

Some other useful fixes as well. Check out the site for more info:

SmartGear

L.B.

Drats! No cab file yet :D . I guess I will have to wait till I get home tonight.

Guest thelostsoul

Latest version's looking good on my Blackjack II - was having some new problems with GameGear audio that appear to be fixed now.

Really appreciate when devs listen to their users :D

BTW- I started some work on a website, but it's going to be a while before I can show you anything because I have an assignment of designing a website for my class that will have to take priority :( I have a pretty cool idea for a smartgear site though...

Guest bitbank

Some good news :D

I just uploaded version 1.0.1 with a feature many have been asking for. You can now define unique settings for each gaming system. I'm happy with the way it came out and would like your feedback on it as well. I also added in my fix for badly behaving device buttons. Please see my website for more details:

SmartGear

I also made CAB files available this time :(

L.B.

Guest thelostsoul

I just installed the 1.0.1 build, and I like that feature, but on my Blackjack II, it doesn't save settings. I tried to enable "Fit2Win" but it keeps revertting back to 150% for some reason. I'm having the same problem with the Auto Load/Save option and the volume :D

Key settings work fine though.

Guest bitbank
I just installed the 1.0.1 build, and I like that feature, but on my Blackjack II, it doesn't save settings. I tried to enable "Fit2Win" but it keeps revertting back to 150% for some reason. I'm having the same problem with the Auto Load/Save option and the volume :D

Key settings work fine though.

I just tested it and it seems to work fine. Make sure you are editing the correct system in the settings dialog. Please describe exactly your steps to recreate the problem. Try switching to another system in the settings dialog to see if that saves the one you were editing.

L.B.

Guest thelostsoul
I just tested it and it seems to work fine. Make sure you are editing the correct system in the settings dialog. Please describe exactly your steps to recreate the problem. Try switching to another system in the settings dialog to see if that saves the one you were editing.

L.B.

I only see system options for the Key settings, not the regular settings dialog. I tried opening a GameGear and a Gameboy game, and it simply doesn't work.

Steps:

Press menu - Settings and set it to "Fit2Win" then check the "Auto Load/Save" box. Press Save.

Open a game, and it starts the game from the start, ignoring the previous save, and it's in 150% zoom mode.

Pause the game using the 0 key, press File - Settings, then set it to Fit2Win and Auto Save/Load. Press Save.

Resume the game, and there is no difference. If I reopen the settings dialog, it's automatically reset itself to 150% and uncheck auto save/load.

Guest bitbank
I only see system options for the Key settings, not the regular settings dialog. I tried opening a GameGear and a Gameboy game, and it simply doesn't work.

Steps:

Press menu - Settings and set it to "Fit2Win" then check the "Auto Load/Save" box. Press Save.

Open a game, and it starts the game from the start, ignoring the previous save, and it's in 150% zoom mode.

Pause the game using the 0 key, press File - Settings, then set it to Fit2Win and Auto Save/Load. Press Save.

Resume the game, and there is no difference. If I reopen the settings dialog, it's automatically reset itself to 150% and uncheck auto save/load.

I figured out the problem. You're using a landscape device and I didn't add the system selection control to the landscape version of the settings dialog. Fix will be up shortly.

L.B.

Guest thelostsoul
I figured out the problem. You're using a landscape device and I didn't add the system selection control to the landscape version of the settings dialog. Fix will be up shortly.

L.B.

Ah I see, thanks!

I always found that interesting...programmers now have to actually design their software for each resolution....I couldn't work like that....Thanks!

Guest mikeeey

L.B.

landscape as in opening up the keyboard and trying to play in landscape? or landscape like the blackjack screen? im downloading it now! cant wait to try it!

Guest bitbank
Ah I see, thanks!

I always found that interesting...programmers now have to actually design their software for each resolution....I couldn't work like that....Thanks!

I just uploaded the fix. I have to create portrait and landscape versions of each dialog box/window because otherwise, everything would look messed up.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
I just uploaded the fix. I have to create portrait and landscape versions of each dialog box/window because otherwise, everything would look messed up.

L.B.

whne i install hte cab or the desktop exe to the device it says installation unsuccessfull after installing, however it appears it installed anyway..strange

is snes supported in this version? if so, the first rom i tried which was super mario world didnt work.. ill try another.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest thelostsoul

L.B.

Works great! Thanks!!

Guest rushmore
I've written a Sega GameGear + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for the smartphone and would like some feedback before I release it. GameGear titles run at 60 fps (no frameskip) and 44Khz audio on the MPx200 (should run the same on any smartphone). It should be able to run any and all GameGear titles perfectly. GameBoy color titles require more horsepower and not all will run at full speed. The program can open ZIP files, so no need to unzip them first. This demo EXE allows you to play the games for 2 minutes before it exits each game and the EXE will expire on September 1st. My plan is to sell this for a reasonable fee. Any feedback is appreciated.

Larry B.

send feedback to: [email protected]

Download from:

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/downloads/smartgear.zip

First, thanks for the cab installs!

Mapper #23 now loads, but the sprites are corrupt and the games lock up.

Guest mikeeey

so in the controls there is an option for SNES, but when i load a SNES game it says unrecognized file, lol.

anyway, you gonna wanna change the SNES configuration to A,B,X,Y, R,L, Select, and Start. There are more than just ABC for SNES controls.

Guest dario69

I noticed the keys for the PC Engine games do not work. I have a Blackjack 2. But it must be specific to the PC Engine and not the device itself because the other emulators work fine with the exact same keys. I mapped several buttons to the Start/Run function but I cannot get past the title screens.

Not sure when it started but the problem still exists with the latest version 1.01.

Guest bitbank
so in the controls there is an option for SNES, but when i load a SNES game it says unrecognized file, lol.

anyway, you gonna wanna change the SNES configuration to A,B,X,Y, R,L, Select, and Start. There are more than just ABC for SNES controls.

I'll fix this in the near future. SNES support is very limited for now anyway, so it's not terribly important.

Edited by bitbank

Guest bitbank

As stated on my website - SNES support is only in the DESKTOP PC version for now. When I finish optimizing the ARM code, I will add it for the WinMo version.

L.B.

Guest thelostsoul

Found a new problem :D

When I open a game, only the keys that came pre-configured work (eg. the arrow keys) and the system pause key (not the start button). If I simply press the system pause button though, then press file - define keys and press Done (don't even have to redefine the keys), all my keys start working again.

It pretty weird, but what I think is happening is (purely my own speculation, high probability I'm wrong...) is that it's not loading the GameGear key maps as it opens the GameGear game. And this problem also applies to other systems...

Guest rushmore
Which game?

1) Crysis Force is one of the mapper #23 games that has corrupt sprites and locks up.

2) I can also confirm that the TG16 key map does not work. Can not get past the menu screens, just as someone else reported. Only one that seems to work as it should is NES.

3) Also, games that did actually work on the Genesis now do not. One example is Cannon Fodder. It played great, but now crashes Smartgear and goes to the windows screen.

I am going to look for an earlier version on my laptop, since I know two versions ago worked great, in spite of no mapper #23.

Note: The map for TG16 shows it is mapped as I defined, but does not work. Again, the only one that seems to work correctly is the NES map.

Edited by rushmore

Guest annawu

Can someone post the last version before version 1.0 ?

Since version 1.0 i can no more use the TG16 emulator, hardware buttons controls no more work. :D

bitbank, why you pay attention for the emulator on the Desktop PC ?

I am pretty sure, no one need because some other emulators exist already with much better compatibility and

speed.

A very disappointed (female) user.

Anna

Edited by annawu