Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest kburkhart84
I've played with the HTC Diamond and found it to be too bulky/heavy. The reasons I chose the Touch Dual are the following:

1) Has the Qualcomm CPU

2) Looked like a fun phone that's different from my HTC Vox

3) Got it cheap on Ebay ($200)

I also agree with another poster's comment that I want to have a slow phone for everyday use so that I can make my software work well on the worst case. That's why I carried the Vox for so long. It's an excellent device in every way, but has the slowest cpu available for Windows Mobile (OMAP 200Mhz).

L.B.

That reminds me of my dash. Atleast we know how to overclock those processors. We still can't overclock the qualcomm series yet. Congratulations on the e-bay deal.

I'm really hoping my freezing issue has something to do with my processor being qualcomm, especially considering in a few months I should be buying a samsung epix. I hope even more that it is something that will pop up when you test it on the Touch Dual, which would make it something you can detect and hopefully fix. I'm going to do a little more testing, like testing to see if it does it in the NES emulator as well, or only GBC. I'll let you know.

Guest asrrin29

Glad to see you are alive and well bitbank! I don't know if you've read through all the posts since your absence but I noticed a problem with the latest version of smartgear. Most of the time when I load up a ROM (specifically gameboy ROMS, that's all I use) some buttons are disabled (all except the directional buttons actually) until I pause the game, go into the key settings menu, and press ok. After that the keys work fine. I have an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) running the AT&T WM6.1 stock ROM. This did not happen in previous versions of smartgear.

Guest kburkhart84
Glad to see you are alive and well bitbank! I don't know if you've read through all the posts since your absence but I noticed a problem with the latest version of smartgear. Most of the time when I load up a ROM (specifically gameboy ROMS, that's all I use) some buttons are disabled (all except the directional buttons actually) until I pause the game, go into the key settings menu, and press ok. After that the keys work fine. I have an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) running the AT&T WM6.1 stock ROM. This did not happen in previous versions of smartgear.

Actually, he does know about this bug. I re-reported it myself. I also have the Tilt, though I have used other roms besides the stock at&t rom. Do you also have the freezing problem after playing for a little while??

Guest asrrin29
Actually, he does know about this bug. I re-reported it myself. I also have the Tilt, though I have used other roms besides the stock at&t rom. Do you also have the freezing problem after playing for a little while??

Ah, good to know he's up to speed B)

I've never experienced a freezing problem before, though the longest stretch of gameplay I've had is an hour or two at the most.

Guest bitbank

Another bug nailed B)

Today I fixed the "keyboard defs not working properly" bug.

I still haven't received my Touch Dual yet, but as soon as I do, I'll wrap up my optimization work and get busy on a release.

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Is Punch Out not supported yet for NES? I get this error: http://www.twg.org/punchout.bmp

Punch-Out is supposed to be Mapper 9; I just tested it and it works. What version of Punch-Out are you running? Mine is named:

"Punch-Out!!_(U).nes 262160 bytes 2/5/2000

P.S. I got the HTC Touch Dual (Nike) today and I will begin testing tonight. I'm glad I chose it over the Kaiser, it's perfect for me and will probably replace my Vox as my main phone.

L.B.

Guest tgwaste
Punch-Out is supposed to be Mapper 9; I just tested it and it works. What version of Punch-Out are you running? Mine is named:

"Punch-Out!!_(U).nes 262160 bytes 2/5/2000

P.S. I got the HTC Touch Dual (Nike) today and I will begin testing tonight. I'm glad I chose it over the Kaiser, it's perfect for me and will probably replace my Vox as my main phone.

L.B.

hmm.. mine is just called punch.out.zip. I will attempt to hunt down the one you have. thanks B)

Guest kburkhart84
Another bug nailed B)

Today I fixed the "keyboard defs not working properly" bug.

I still haven't received my Touch Dual yet, but as soon as I do, I'll wrap up my optimization work and get busy on a release.

L.B.

I'm waiting for this release. I'm hoping that my freezing bug and the keypress thing are related somehow. It seems like I can run for a while, then when I need to press start, it doesn't work. I go and fix it with the workaround for the keydefs bug. Then when I start/unpause emulation, I instantly get the freeze. In fact, I can't recall if I have gotten the freeze without having done this work around or not. It may have only frozen afterwards, if not right away, then later. I don't know for sure, but I would hope that is the case, since with your above fix, I probably would not get the freezing anymore.

BTW, how is the SNES part coming? I know it is much harder to deal with, not only because of the faster processor/more memory/etc... rather because of the special chips some games used (Mario Kart, Mario RPG, pilotwings, Star Fox, Star Ocean). I'm sure there are more, but the hardest ones to emulate that I know of are the timing chip in Mario RPG, and the DSP1, I think it is called that star fox uses. SNES9x on PC pretty much emulates these perfectly, so you might look at the source code, which is freely available, even though you won't use it directly. It is mostly C I think, but it would atleast show how they emulate those chips, and you probably could port the code to optimized ARM assembly.

I tell you though, if I knew any assembly at all, I would be glad to help. I program in C++ myself, so I can kind of understand C source code, but I would have no idea about porting it to assembly, much less ARM assembly, and even less than that have it optimized.

Also, good luck with your device. Don't forget about the lack of drivers issue with this whole generation of HTC devices(Kaiser, Nike, Mogul) all on the same 400Mhz processor. Good luck with that. I deal with it on my Kaiser constantly.

Guest bitbank

Now is the time to submit feature requests. I just added the following (suggested by a customer):

Add dedicated keys for loading and saving a game without having to pause (saves a lot of clicks).

Please let me know any other features that you would like and I'll try to include them before the next release.

L.B.

Guest asrrin29

There are too big things I'd like to see eventually added to SmartGear.

1. I would like a way to tie the Gameboy emulator clock in with the system clock so that games depending on the time of day function properly.

2. I would also eventually like to see some support for cheat engines such as Gameshark or Game Genie. I don't know the technical difficulties of this, but it would be a pretty cool thing to have.

Guest bitbank
There are too big things I'd like to see eventually added to SmartGear.

1. I would like a way to tie the Gameboy emulator clock in with the system clock so that games depending on the time of day function properly.

2. I would also eventually like to see some support for cheat engines such as Gameshark or Game Genie. I don't know the technical difficulties of this, but it would be a pretty cool thing to have.

Both are reasonable and I can do them. Please point me to a game which displays the current time so that I can test it's working correctly. Is there another game emulator which supports these so that I can see a good way to enter the codes?

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest tgwaste
Both are reasonable and I can do them. Please point me to a game which displays the current time so that I can test it's working correctly. Is there another game emulator which supports these so that I can see a good way to enter the codes?

Thanks,

L.B.

you know.. i cant think of a single winmobile emulator that does game genie/shark.

Edited by tgwaste

Guest asrrin29

Thanks,

L.B.

Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver are two off the top of my head that use the time of day to trigger certain events. they also recognize the day of week, though you have to manually set whether or not you are on daylight savings time. To access the time of day and day of week you just need to access the start menu and "pokegear" at the start of the game, after you talk to the person downstairs of the starting room.

As for a cheat engine, I don't know of any windows mobile device that supports them, but various PC emulators such as no$gba, visualboyadvance, and others all support them. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that these cheat engines are similar to hex editors.

Edited by asrrin29

Guest kburkhart84
Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver are two off the top of my head that use the time of day to trigger certain events. they also recognize the day of week, though you have to manually set whether or not you are on daylight savings time. To access the time of day and day of week you just need to access the start menu and "pokegear" at the start of the game, after you talk to the person downstairs of the starting room.

As for a cheat engine, I don't know of any windows mobile device that supports them, but various PC emulators such as no$gba, visualboyadvance, and others all support them. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that these cheat engines are similar to hex editors.

I know that cheat engines work by modifying a specific memory location in the memory, as in the "emulated" memory in this case. I believe that no$gba is an open source thing, but I'm not sure, but maybe that would help. I think that game shark works by putting the exact memory address followed by the value. Game Genie on the other hand is different. It somehow is "coded" instead of being direct. You might look at the source code for SNES9x as well. SNES9x allows you to "look" for cheats by searching through the memory for specific values. You start playing the game, and see that you start with 3 lives. You search for the value "3". Then you die, losing a life. You again search, but for "2". The second search only includes what was found in the first search, so you should be able to locate the memory address that "lives" refers to in this manner. You can also use comparisons, such as less than and greater than, for example if the on screen indicator is a bar instead of number. You start with one search, to init the cheat engine search. You lose a little energy, then go search again for less than. You repeat that, unless you somehow gain energy, and each time, you eliminate possibilities until you only have a couple left. Then you can apply the cheat and see if it works.

I think that this would be a good system to implement, especially seeing as you are emulating the systems and therefore have access to every bit of memory in the system. I also understand that this feature might not be something you could do in only a couple hours:).

Guest PolloLoco
Now is the time to submit feature requests. I just added the following (suggested by a customer):

Add dedicated keys for loading and saving a game without having to pause (saves a lot of clicks).

Please let me know any other features that you would like and I'll try to include them before the next release.

L.B.

Can you please add the option for full sound when playing Genesis games?

Guest Chaos-Zero

Hey guys, im new here!

I just installed Smartgear somedays ago but i just cant play. When i press any button it'll get me to the pause menu from the game. I have a Touch Pro and this is whit my keyboard.

It doesnt work with my 'normal' buttons, below my screen.

Havnt i set something good, or is it a common error in this release? If so, when will be a new version release?

I just looked around in the topic, but i just couldnt find any answer so fast. So im sorry if i badword up this topic.

Thanks anyway!

Guest NullNull

Hello! I'm trying to run what looks like an awesome program on my Treo 800w, but I'm hitting a wall. While most of the menus have a scroll bar, the settings menu scroll bar doesn't work.

That, of course, can be worked around, but the bigger problem is the games! They seem to have the middle 20% or so misaligned with the rest. I've tried a few different games across a variety of console systems, and they all share the same problem (if they run at all).

I'm guessing it has something to do with my funky-sized screen (320x320). Any help? Any fix on the horizon?

Thanks,

Null

Guest tgwaste
Hello! I'm trying to run what looks like an awesome program on my Treo 800w, but I'm hitting a wall. While most of the menus have a scroll bar, the settings menu scroll bar doesn't work.

That, of course, can be worked around, but the bigger problem is the games! They seem to have the middle 20% or so misaligned with the rest. I've tried a few different games across a variety of console systems, and they all share the same problem (if they run at all).

I'm guessing it has something to do with my funky-sized screen (320x320). Any help? Any fix on the horizon?

Thanks,

Null

Hello NullNull,

I to have the same problem with the settings on my 320x320 treo pro. The author is aware of the problem and says with a little time

he can fix it. as far as the middle 20% being misaligned i dont seem to have this problem.

Guest bitbank
Hey guys, im new here!

I just installed Smartgear somedays ago but i just cant play. When i press any button it'll get me to the pause menu from the game. I have a Touch Pro and this is whit my keyboard.

It doesnt work with my 'normal' buttons, below my screen.

Havnt i set something good, or is it a common error in this release? If so, when will be a new version release?

I just looked around in the topic, but i just couldnt find any answer so fast. So im sorry if i badword up this topic.

Thanks anyway!

Hi Chaos-Zero,

I don't have a Touch Pro to test on, but I haven't seen this issue before with other devices. Are you sure you're setting up the keys for the correct emulator (each one has its own key settings). Anyone else experiencing this problem?

These are the devices I have for testing:

HTC Juno (Shadow)

HTC Vox (S710)

HTC Touch Dual

T-Mobile MDA

T-Mobile SDA

Motorola Q

Motorola Q9h

Samsung SGH-i320N

Palm Treo 700w

HP iPAQ h2210

HP iPAQ h1910

HP iPAQ rx1950

HP iPAQ hx2190

Motorola MPX-200

HTC Star trk (At&t 3125)

L.B.

Guest bitbank
maybe L.B. will give us SNES for christmas ! Its what Santa wants! :rolleyes:

The next release will include WinMo SNES support. I was reluctant to release it because it's pretty bad in terms of compatibility and speed, but some games are somewhat playable.

I've also come up with a great idea for a usability enhancement that I'm sure everyone will like. It will allow you to play recently played games with a minimum number of clicks.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
The next release will have this enabled.

L.B.

The next release will include WinMo SNES support. I was reluctant to release it because it's pretty bad in terms of compatibility and speed, but some games are somewhat playable.

I've also come up with a great idea for a usability enhancement that I'm sure everyone will like. It will allow you to play recently played games with a minimum number of clicks.

L.B.

YAY and YAY!!!

awesome! Finally, a step up in emulation on my kaiser!