Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest ninjaw
yes i forgot to mention this to bitbank.

its very confusing trying to load roms when i have a lot of mario or zelda games and they all say:

Nahhhh that's a lot worse than that, for example, i cant switch from BustMve4GBC.zip to BustMveMGBC.zip these games are playable, but the quicload crashes everything, just like if they were sharing the same savefile. I need to reset before switching&playing.

I call that a major bug, and it dont seems to come from long names ..

Guest Jamma14
yes i forgot to mention this to bitbank.

its very confusing trying to load roms when i have a lot of mario or zelda games and they all say:

super mario b...

super mario b...

super mario b...

super mario b...

the legend of...

the legend of...

the legend of...

or something like that.

itl be really confusing when everything looks the same and the only way to see wich rom it is is to click on it.

could this be fixed?

Yeh, rename your ROMs. ;)

Bitbank, the problems I mentioned really are happening on my Dash. Any ideas about the .smd issue?? Could you have an option to show all files in the explorer? The sound issue is not really important, and its good if you are fixing the gbc rendering but also any ideas why I cannot load or save (the options to are greyed out)??

And what do you think to my other suggestions (points 2, 6, 7, 8 9, 10 and 11 in my previous post)? I don't mind if you think they suck, would just like to know you've read and considered them.

James

Guest bitbank

Thanks for all of the bug reports. I will address many of the issues brought up here.

The file explorer will definitely get cleaned up so that you can see more of the name.

The problem with load/save and similar names is that in some systems (e.g. GameBoy) there is a game name encoded in the ROM which I use for the load/save filename. The problem with using the zip file name as the basis for load/save is that the names are typically a mess and can be identical between systems. Can you give me examples of conflicting load/save names and I'll see if I can come up with another naming scheme (perhaps add a ROM crc to the name).

BTW - I've disabled load/save in unregistered copies. This was a necessary step to beef up security. I've also seen that someone has taken an interest in cracking my program. The next release will be much harder to crack.

I've had many requests to buy the program to be able to use the full version. As I've said before, I don't want to step on the toes of companies that I work with. However... the chances of me working with Nintendo are probably 1,000,000:1, so I am considering selling registered copies of SmartGear which can play GameBoy and NES (possibly SNES in the future). Is this a reasonable compromise and how many people would actually pay (e.g. $15) for it? I would include the Windows Mobile and Desktop PC versions with free upgrades.

L.B.

Guest ninjaw
The problem with load/save and similar names is that in some systems (e.g. GameBoy) there is a game name encoded in the ROM which I use for the load/save filename. The problem with using the zip file name as the basis for load/save is that the names are typically a mess and can be identical between systems. Can you give me examples of conflicting load/save names and I'll see if I can come up with another naming scheme (perhaps add a ROM crc to the name).

I see, definitively not a good idea ! right now this bug with both Bust a move GBC and both Micromachines GG

Guest kwoodall

Fair warning on this. Nintendo, and other companies, have used the courts, the DMCA, International Trademarks and Copyrights, Patents and anything they can put into their lawyers hands to prevent people from selling emulators. Donations instead of registrations are a little safer. Keeping away from their attention, period, is the safest way. In other words, do as you want, just don't make a big noise about yourself and your product.

Kermit

I've had many requests to buy the program to be able to use the full version. As I've said before, I don't want to step on the toes of companies that I work with. However... the chances of me working with Nintendo are probably 1,000,000:1, so I am considering selling registered copies of SmartGear which can play GameBoy and NES (possibly SNES in the future). Is this a reasonable compromise and how many people would actually pay (e.g. $15) for it? I would include the Windows Mobile and Desktop PC versions with free upgrades.

Guest kwoodall

I have a problem that may or may not be related to your code. Perhaps it's just my settings. The problem is that the emulator runs great until I actual start hitting buttons or using the joystick. Then it slows down as if the input is interrupting the program. It makes games unplayable that on their own, run quite well.

I'm using a Cingular 2125 / WM5.

Kermit

Guest bitbank

Judging by the lack of responses, I think I'll just continue as I've been. People who help me test the program will get registered copies. All 20 people that have asked to buy it will just have to bring me some good bug reports ;)

L.B.

Guest cdogg2000

Bitbank,

I think your plan to really never make this for sale and certainly not free of course, like other have, is extremely crappy for those that try it and really want to enjoy it's full potential. If you're going to make this program a prestigious (spelled wrong yes) program, maybe it might be best to continue on with this in a matter that closes off something soo cool from the public. I understand where you're comming from, you made something awesome and you want to sell it but that seems like it could get you into some trouble. There's nothing that would keep you from accepting donations to enable some cool feature or something so that it wouldn't seem like you're "selling" the software. There are options to get this software out there for those that want it, and I would certainly pay $15 for this. You can pick however you want to receive the money. I apologize if the tone of this is taken wrong, but I really hate when awesome things come out but remain restricted to the average Joe that would really appreciate what it has to offer. If only 20 or so people are looking to buy it, that you know of, I assure you that there are several times more that actually are, but they most likely don't waste there time and just keep checking back until it's available for sale. Im my line of work there are alot of people that are very interested in this software but won't touch it because it's been well over a year I beleive and there still looks like no chance of it being for sale, but they check around or ask me if it's for sale yet. So let's say for example that I account for almost 15 people and yet I'm the only one out of all of them that has even bothered to put it on my phone, because I'm hoping to be able to purchase it. So that's my few cents...

Guest mikeeey
Judging by the lack of responses, I think I'll just continue as I've been. People who help me test the program will get registered copies. All 20 people that have asked to buy it will just have to bring me some good bug reports ;)

L.B.

whos the people that have tested it? havnt we all? lol. who will be recieving registered copies?

Guest bitbank

cdogg2000 - thanks for the interesting response. I did some research on what emulators are currently for sale for various platforms and I also read the Nintendo patent here:

Nintendo Emulation Patent

It appears that it will be OK to release single system emulators. I will do some more research, but I am leaning toward releasing a GBC emulator for sale and see how well it does. If I separate out the GBC emulator, it doesn't violate any of the terms of the Nintendo patent. To patent game emulation by itself is unenforceable, but there are specific "non-obvious" ideas in the Nintendo patent that I don't incorporate in my emulators.

Any lawyers have some opinions to add?

Guest agent.m

L.B.

hey mate

remember i was one of the 1st to test it :D

Guest cdogg2000

I'm having trouble opening .smd files, the explorer doesn't see them. Also, when I'm playing a game, say Mario3 or super mario world, and I save a state in slot 1, I can't save into that slot again until I close and reopen the emulator. This occurs with slot 2, 3, 4, etc. Is there anyway to allowed over writing of saved slots while still in the game? It doesn't take too long to occupy all the slots and then have to close out and refill them all back up again.

Guest mikeeey
hey mate

remember i was one of the 1st to test it ;)

and i was one of the first to test once u continued on this project again after the long 8 month period or however long it was u stopped for.

Guest bitbank

After doing some more research and talking to more people, I think I've come up with a solution. The "gray" market of selling game emulators is something to be avoided. I've spoken with enough authors of similar systems that I've got a clear picture of the liability that I'd like to avoid.

My solution is to offer the emulator technology for sale (e.g. to license my emulators or components) and keep SmartGear as a "technology demo". This way, I can create a dedicated web page for it and release the "limited" version to the public for testing. Dedicated testers such as the people here on Modaco could get registered copies to help me perfect the emulators. The game companies wouldn't be upset because it would not be offered for sale nor given away for free. Companies needing CPU, Sound or Console emulators could find me and get what they need.

Thoughts?

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
After doing some more research and talking to more people, I think I've come up with a solution. The "gray" market of selling game emulators is something to be avoided. I've spoken with enough authors of similar systems that I've got a clear picture of the liability that I'd like to avoid.

My solution is to offer the emulator technology for sale (e.g. to license my emulators or components) and keep SmartGear as a "technology demo". This way, I can create a dedicated web page for it and release the "limited" version to the public for testing. Dedicated testers such as the people here on Modaco could get registered copies to help me perfect the emulators. The game companies wouldn't be upset because it would not be offered for sale nor given away for free. Companies needing CPU, Sound or Console emulators could find me and get what they need.

Thoughts?

L.B.

i dont underrstand. u say selling it is no be avoided, so u will offer it's technology for sale? arent u still selling it then?

Guest bitbank

Mikeeey,

Selling a multi-system emulator that allows people to download unlicensed ROM images and play them is something that the game companies don't appreciate. Selling the emulator source code to game companies who will use it in licensed products is something that won't upset anyone. I've already sold various game emulators to several big game companies, but this current idea will give me more presence on the net. It will also allow companies to evaluate my work without even having to talk to me. Sometimes smaller game companies need game emulators and don't know where to look.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
Mikeeey,

Selling a multi-system emulator that allows people to download unlicensed ROM images and play them is something that the game companies don't appreciate. Selling the emulator source code to game companies who will use it in licensed products is something that won't upset anyone. I've already sold various game emulators to several big game companies, but this current idea will give me more presence on the net. It will also allow companies to evaluate my work without even having to talk to me. Sometimes smaller game companies need game emulators and don't know where to look.

L.B.

ah ok i see. that sounds like a good idea. im sure ul make a lot of money if u sell it to companys. however, if it only supports older systems it would have no use for those companies, being those games arent made anymore. but at the rate your going with your emulator im sure u can add any other game support no problem.

Guest kwoodall

I have a problem that may or may not be related to your code. Perhaps it's just my settings. The problem is that the emulator runs great until I actual start hitting buttons or using the joystick. Then it slows down as if the input is interrupting the program. It makes games unplayable that on their own demo modes, run quite well.

FWIW I also see this problem with Duke3D. But it's not a problem in other games for WM5 that I use.

I'm using a Cingular 2125 / WM5.

Kermit

Guest spinecraft

this is pretty great software and i can play most games in fullscreen on my blackjack. sound is iffy but i am using it in public anyway so i have it on silent.

the only issues i have are that there is no apparent save state function, and running the program creates some weird glitch in the main phone gui (doubled header bar).

cheers, great work so far.

edit: duh, now i know why theres no save function ;)

Edited by spinecraft

Guest spinecraft

larry,

i'm now familiar for why theres no save function ;)

i posted in your blog, but you might not have seen it:

1) as previously mentioned, the “extra bar” issue in the main gui. it’s still there even when smartgear is closed!

2) in mapping keys, it recognizes G and H as 5, J and K as 6. when dialing on the phone, that is how it groups the buttons - but perhaps you should set it to only recognize the letters?

3) regarding the high pitched tones from the NES emulator - i a/b’ed with another emulator and yours is coming out exactly 1 note higher for all songs, etc. if there is some sort of audio transpose you can do, just knock it down 1 half step and you are set.

4) i think diagonal aiming is more important than anything else. example: in gunstar heroes, my movement is mapped out to WASD. having Q and E mapped as “up/left” and “up/right” functions would dramatically improve gameplay.

5) i am having some sprite clashing in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when i finish each level. it doesn't interrupt gameplay but it does make the animation kinda wacky. if there is a tool for it, i will take screenshots for you.

cheers!!

Guest spinecraft

i have noticed another bug-

in genesis emulation...my main example is the sonic games, i.e. "sonic and knuckles 3".

there is an error in sprite display-

when you jump into water, there's a splash, with no shaded "water" area-

instead, as soon as the water comes on screen (for instance, if you walk into the area), the entire screen receives that overlay.

perhaps there is some sort of code for masking/binding a shaded area which smartgear is missing?

cheers!

i'm looking forward to giving you more extensive bug reports without a 5 minute gameplay limit ;)

Guest bitbank

Thanks for all of the bugs and suggestions. I'm aware of all of the current issues in the GUI, file handling, and so forth. Right now I'm needed on other projects, but I will try to work on SG this weekend.

L.B.