Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest mikeeey
I would definitely buy this if you added ST emulation!!! AFAIK there is no ST emulator for smartphone yet...

whats so great about Atari ST? its older than NES and Gameboy..

Guest netbeui
whats so great about Atari ST? its older than NES and Gameboy..

Two words: DUNGEON MASTER

(what does age have to do with anything anyway?)

Guest ninjaw
Two words: DUNGEON MASTER

(what does age have to do with anything anyway?)

So what, why would i play a stupid bad conversion from amiga ...

Guest Menneisyys
So what, why would i play a stupid bad conversion from amiga ...

Yeah, Amiga emulation should be preferred to Atari ST. Much better games, particularly music-wise.

Guest Zeiram
Yeah, Amiga emulation should be preferred to Atari ST. Much better games, particularly music-wise.

If Amiga Emulation would be as fast as Atari ST it would be a good choice... but it is not unfortunately.

Maybe they will port UAE4GP2X someday... great perfomance on a GP2X on 266Mhz, much faster then my LOOX running on around 700Mhz through PHM. Of course different OS as well on both of them, but possible to port still since they brought it to the Gizmondo as well.

Guest Menneisyys
If Amiga Emulation would be as fast as Atari ST it would be a good choice... but it is not unfortunately.

Maybe they will port UAE4GP2X someday... great perfomance on a GP2X on 266Mhz, much faster then my LOOX running on around 700Mhz through PHM. Of course different OS as well on both of them, but possible to port still since they brought it to the Gizmondo as well.

Yup, UAE4GP2X is the way to go - as has also been pointed out in my Amiga emulation-related article.

Guest bitbank

I'm sorry I haven't had time to keep up with this discussion lately. I'm on a "death march" to finish a product by the end of August. The product is another home arcade machine from Chicago-Gaming.

I did spend a little time this weekend working on SmartGear and I believe I have finally resolved the clicking sound issue (for most devices). I changed the frameskip logic to automatically skip drawing the video when the framerate is falling behind. This smooths out the sound and still allows the games to look good. As a test I ran TG16 games on my MPX200 (132Mhz OMAP) stretched to fill the entire display. In the older code this would have resulted in very bad sound, but the new code plays the games smoothly. I'll have new builds with installers up on my site sometime today (version 0.29).

VGA devices will still have performance problems until I add support for DirectX or GDI which can use built-in hardware stretchblt capabilities (if present). There aren't a lot of X50v users out there, so right now this is not a high priority. This Fall when many new VGA devices get released it will be a higher priority issue.

I'm looking for a good deal on a Motorola Q and Samsung Blackjack for software testing. I had some loaner devices and had to return them. I am looking for cheap devices, so scratches, bad ESNs, broken microphones, non-functional cellphone capabilities are all OK. If anyone can help me locate something in the $100 range I would appreciate it.

The Genesis code is still missing the FM sounds until I can rewrite my YM2610, but the Desktop PC version will have it enabled. Also some save state issues resolved in this build.

L.B.

Guest bitbank

Here's a beta of the 0.29 version (no installer). Genesis is not in good shape at the moment, but the other emulators should work "click-free" with the new auto frameskip code I added. Please let me know.

L.B.

SmartGear 0.29

Guest ninjaw
Here's a beta of the 0.29 version (no installer). Genesis is not in good shape at the moment, but the other emulators should work "click-free" with the new auto frameskip code I added. Please let me know.

SmartGear 0.29

Well i dont care about clicks, I tested, and all the new gfx bugs are still here. BUT i could launch a GameGear game without sound this time. And so i can finally play GG with my headphones.

Guest PolloLoco

Hello Larry,

I just updated to 0.29 - I actually like it without the installer.

However - I tested the 2 bugs I know about, and they weren't fixed. 1) Legendary Axe 2 still plays in slow motion and more importantly:

2) Save states for TG16 still don't work great. I opened up Operation Wolf, played for a bit and saved to slot 1. I exited the game, closed out the program completely - and then started it up. When I reloaded the save game, the background was all screwed up as before.

Guest bitbank

Pollo,

I am still trying to figure out why Legendary Axe II runs slowly on the TG16 emulator.

The save states of TG16 appear to work fine. The problem is that my TG16 emulator has a problem running Operation Wolf. Try other games and see if it's really a problem with the load/save code.

L.B.

Guest bitbank

Ninjaw,

Can you please relist all of the gfx bugs that you are seeing?

Please be very specific as to what system (e.g. GBC), what game, and what device you are running on with what video options.

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest PolloLoco
Pollo,

I am still trying to figure out why Legendary Axe II runs slowly on the TG16 emulator.

The save states of TG16 appear to work fine. The problem is that my TG16 emulator has a problem running Operation Wolf. Try other games and see if it's really a problem with the load/save code.

L.B.

Hello Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've actually tried to load and save with other games and there is still a fair amount of distortion when I reload from a save state. I just happened to use Operation Wolf as an example. The work around I've been doing - is trying to save between levels. When the screen goes black and refreshes, there's no distortion.

For example, I've recently been playing Bonk's Big Adventure - and if I save in between a level, I see the graphical glitches when I reload.

Let me stress that this may not happen if you're currently playing the level your saved game is in - if the background is the same as that of the saved game. But you WILL see the distortion if you close out of the program, start fresh - and then try to load the save.

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest ninjaw
Ninjaw,

Can you please relist all of the gfx bugs that you are seeing?

Please be very specific as to what system (e.g. GBC), what game, and what device you are running on with what video options.

Sure ! I use french C600 QVGA smartphone, so I use 240x320 150% screen.

The GFX bugs are mostly on non-moving screens or menus. On Sega Game Gear it's old story, but on Nintendo Game Boy Color it's a very strange new bug !

On game gear Micro Machines 1 & 2 allways had menu gfx bugs but still working very great:

mm1ggmb4.pngmm2ggnp6.png

On last major update, I was surprised to see a new bug on Bust A Move 4 Game Boy Color ! I play this game a lot, and it's really very new, it happens on the game map screen:

bam4gbcjz3.png

Guest jaikben

great emu, I never tried it but works great on eten m700, only problem is that chase hq for nec is not working, black screen when game starts. BTW is it possible to include sega cd emu would be great night trap on a ppc lol

Guest bitbank

Thanks Ninjaw,

I found and fixed the GBC bug. I had rewritten the tile draw code in ARM asm for more speed and there was a typo in the code which handled horizontally flipped tiles. I have uploaded a new smartphone build (0.30) here:

SmartGear (smartphone) 0.30

Once I fix a few more things I'll do an official build with installers.

Guest ninjaw
Thanks Ninjaw,

I found and fixed the GBC bug. I had rewritten the tile draw code in ARM asm for more speed and there was a typo in the code which handled horizontally flipped tiles. I have uploaded a new smartphone build (0.30) here:

Yeah ! that works

Once I fix a few more things I'll do an official build with installers.

Plz dont, or offer both, Installer is a pain in the ass on C600 (short memory)

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I am interested in Smartgear but I have a question. Bitbank, do you plan to emulate the time system of Pokemon ? I tried with the demo version, but the time is not emulated correctly. There are also graphics problemes in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly OT. Newbiw question. What are the file extensions expected for the various emulated platforms? I had a few SNES files with a .SMC extension I tried to use, and SmartGear won't find them.

Thanks.

Guest bitbank
Slightly OT. Newbiw question. What are the file extensions expected for the various emulated platforms? I had a few SNES files with a .SMC extension I tried to use, and SmartGear won't find them.

Thanks.

SmartGear doesn't currently support SNES.

L.B.

SmartGear doesn't currently support SNES.

L.B.

So what is the full list of platforms it supports?

I just PayPal'd up the fee on the bitbank web site. Nice work.

Guest bitbank
So what is the full list of platforms it supports?

I just PayPal'd up the fee on the bitbank web site. Nice work.

SmartGear currently supports GameBoy Color, GameGear, Master System, NES, TurboGrafx-16 and Genesis. The FM sound support is currently disabled in Genesis to allow it to run at full speed on mobile devices. The code supports all Windows Mobile devices 2003 and newer as well as desktop Windows.

L.B.