Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
Thanks for taking an interest, bitbank. I tried SMB and SMB3 for NES and Sonic 3 and Spider-Man - The Animated Series for Genesis. I can launch the program and navigate the options just fine. The "open file" dialog box opens just fine, as well. However, when I either double click a rom or click the button to load that rom, the program just exits and drops me back at my today screen. No messages or anything. I didn't play around with the video options, but I'm willing to experiment. Can you offer any suggestions about what settings might be worth messing with? I don't know if it is relevant or not, but I want to point out that I attempted this with those 4 games both zipped and unzipped. Also, they were located on my SD card instead of the internal memory. And one last thing, I have had trouble with other programs on this phone because of its somewhat unusual resolution (320x320); do you think that could be a factor here? If you need to know anything else or if you need me to test anything, I'd be happy to help.

New Info, added later:

I've been doing some experimenting and discovered a few interesting details. GB games appear to run just fine on my Treo 800w with the default options. TG16 and Genesis games run if I check the GDI option, but this reduces the framerate to an unplayable level. None of the other options have any impact on whether attempting to load a rom will actually load the rom or quit the application. I'm going to play around with some other systems and report back what I learn.

There must be 3 different hardware variations of the Treo 800W. Another poster here had one which worked on the old old code. When I got my hands on one, it had a similar problem to the Moto Q9h with a display pitch of 0x1000. I added support for that and it didn't seem to change things for the other poster. Now you say you have a Treo 800W and it crashes when you try to run it. Can you see if the Settings->About tells which CPU it uses? Perhaps it's a XScale or OMAP variation that we haven't seen before.

L.B.

Guest bitbank

A user reminded me about a problem which I actually introduced into SmartGear not too long ago. The backup RAM from GBC/NES/PCE games was not saving/restoring correctly. I had changed the code so that it only got saved if you had "auto load/save" checked. This was a mistake because people want the backup RAM restored even if you're not continuing from the exact spot in your game (e.g. to restore the high score table). I've fixed it and released a new build (1.1.6):

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/private/smartgear.zip

Let me know if this has fixed the backup RAM issue. There's no way to reset the Backup RAM from within SmartGear, so you'll have to delete the files in \SAVE_GAMES. The file name is in the form xxx.yyy.bak where xxx = game name, yyy = system (e.g. GBC/NES/PCE).

L.B.

Guest effigy345
There must be 3 different hardware variations of the Treo 800W. Another poster here had one which worked on the old old code. When I got my hands on one, it had a similar problem to the Moto Q9h with a display pitch of 0x1000. I added support for that and it didn't seem to change things for the other poster. Now you say you have a Treo 800W and it crashes when you try to run it. Can you see if the Settings->About tells which CPU it uses? Perhaps it's a XScale or OMAP variation that we haven't seen before.

L.B.

I wouldn't say that SmartGear crashes when i try to run it. I can launch the program and run GB games just fine. It just quits on me if I try to load a NES, TG16, or Genesis game. I haven't had the opportunity yet to try additional systems yet like I said I would (sorry about that). The 'About' screen tells me my CPU is a 'ARM1136 OMAP2430'. I hope this info helps. Out of curiosity, which issue with the Moto Q9h are you refering to? I looked, but only found that model mentioned in this post with keyboard issues. But this is a HUGE post, so I could've missed something.

Edited by effigy345

Guest Aurelgadjo

Hello,

Nice software, the rendering on my omnia seems perfect for GBC games. You have added an option for touchscreen... ok nice. I can use it for the buttons for for directionnals... It seems directionnal mode, red cross aren't for the A key... true or not ? 'cause on the omnia, there isn't any physical keyboard, and i can't redefine buttons (i can't hit enter ; no enter key.. lol)

thanks

Guest Polarboy389

Hello, this is my first time posting a reply on here, and I would first like to say that i love the smartgear emulator. Though, recently i switched from a Samsung blackjack 1 to a Samsung epix(i907), and i know this problem has been addressed before but i would like to put it back on the table for thought. Before, some one stated that the sound didn't work on their Samsung epix, on mine, that not the case. When I run smartgear on my i907, it works fine, intel I load up a rom. For some reason, when i try to play a game, the system will fast forward for a little bit, or go a little faster then the normal speed it should be running, and same thing goes for the sound. I don't know whether its the setting i have are not set for it properly, or if its the Emulator.

Settings that i have on Samsung (i907):

Throttle framerate; activated

auto frame skip; activated

keep backlight on; activated

sound; activated

16-bits; activated

audio rate; 44Khz

Edited by Polarboy389

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rickalo

I just wanted to post to tell others about my experience with this emulator so far.

I've only tried NES so far but I can say that this runs much faster and better than PocketNES did for me.

It looks like people are afraid to say game names so I'll just say I tested an Italian Plumber game (part 2) and a famous boxing game. They both ran at very playable rates.

I haven't listened to the sound or tried the save/load functions yet but it runs so well compared to PocketNES that I had to buy this right away.

The only issue I've had is with my machine itself. You must get a special program to make the keyboard respond properly but this is not a problem with the emulator it is a problem with my machine (HTC Fuze). People can get KforTP to fix the keyboard but just make sure you don't reset the system while you have the keyboard IME swapped.

Thanks for making this emulator BitBank. I may follow up with other posts for other systems to share those experiences as well.

I'm using an HTC Touch Pro (AT&T HTC Fuze) - with EnergyROM 3.0 - 05-28-2009 - Windows Mobile 6.5

Guest bitbank
thanks for all the work you do but even downloading the last release

its not working correctly on my samsung saga

the mouse issue is there until i check use gdi

then whatever smoothness i had is gone

the music and video start stuttering and the only thing that is fixed is the mouse issue

without use gdi checked the mouse issue is there but the music and video appears to play in realtime

Please fix i am willing to donate/buy also

I realize it's been a while, but I finally got a loaner Samsung Saga and improved things a bit with SmartGear. The device has a problem with RAWFRAMEBUFFER and will not work, so "Use GDI" is the only choice. I've updated the code to properly support 150% scale with smoothing in the case where you are using GDI. Performance is decent and you now have the "smoothed" look. I'll be releasing a new release soon. I will make this new release official once I have the Desktop PC version up to speed. I'm making some changes to make it "Netbook friendly" and have all of the GUI features of the mobile version.

L.B.

Guest bitbank
is the SNES portion of this project dead or are their plans to finish it in the future?

SNES support is hibernating for the moment, but may awaken in the near future. The reason is that we are in talks with a company to do an emulation project which may require SNES. If so, then I'll be on it full time. If the project gets approved, I will also have to make a mobile version of Neo-Geo.

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Hello, this is my first time posting a reply on here, and I would first like to say that i love the smartgear emulator. Though, recently i switched from a Samsung blackjack 1 to a Samsung epix(i907), and i know this problem has been addressed before but i would like to put it back on the table for thought. Before, some one stated that the sound didn't work on their Samsung epix, on mine, that not the case. When I run smartgear on my i907, it works fine, intel I load up a rom. For some reason, when i try to play a game, the system will fast forward for a little bit, or go a little faster then the normal speed it should be running, and same thing goes for the sound. I don't know whether its the setting i have are not set for it properly, or if its the Emulator.

Settings that i have on Samsung (i907):

Throttle framerate; activated

auto frame skip; activated

keep backlight on; activated

sound; activated

16-bits; activated

audio rate; 44Khz

I will probably get hold of a Samsung Epix to test in the near future, but I'm not sure. I can't really fix it until I get my hands on it and see what the problem is.

L.B.

Guest PolloLoco

Hey Larry, keep up the good work. This software and this thread is the only reason I keep following this forum.

I hope you can continue to work on SNES - and get good performance out of it. Neo Geo I'm less excited about, because Masterall's Finalburn port is nearly perfect.

Guest PolloLoco
someone needs to buy a Touch Pro 2 and tell me if smartgear works well on it. :D

I'm going to predict that it'll be no better than the current Touch Pro, which means it works well - but not great. The TP2 has the same processor as the TP - so why would it work any better? On the other hand, it has a WVGA screen - 800X480 so a lot of standard software won't work great on it, without a separate program running in the background to scale output.

Guest tgwaste
I'm going to predict that it'll be no better than the current Touch Pro, which means it works well - but not great. The TP2 has the same processor as the TP - so why would it work any better? On the other hand, it has a WVGA screen - 800X480 so a lot of standard software won't work great on it, without a separate program running in the background to scale output.

thats not very encouraging PL!

i bought one anyway.. i get 15 days to try it, ill let everyone know how it fairs..

P.S. if it doesnt work good im holding YOU (PolloLoco) personally responsible for all costs and shipping..

:D

Guest tgwaste
It will work, works on my X1 :D

ya my first test shows it working REALLY well..

i only tested for a few minutes though.. i have throttle to 60 on for NES and it SMOKES!

Guest PolloLoco
ya my first test shows it working REALLY well..

i only tested for a few minutes though.. i have throttle to 60 on for NES and it SMOKES!

That's pleasantly surprising. Did you have to fiddle with the keyboard settings to get the phone to work in landscape? Have you tried a more intensive system, like genesis (Altered Beast or Sonic) to confirm that it's 100% speed? NES gave me zero problems - I also have to throttle it. TG16 and Genesis show some lag/dropped frames.

BTW - here's a forum thread comparing/contrasting the Touch Pro vs. the Touch Pro 2:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71400

If you want - we could both play a downloaded movie on TCPMP and benchmark both devices.

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest tgwaste
That's pleasantly surprising. Did you have to fiddle with the keyboard settings to get the phone to work in landscape? Have you tried a more intensive system, like genesis (Altered Beast or Sonic) to confirm that it's 100% speed? NES gave me zero problems - I also have to throttle it. TG16 and Genesis show some lag/dropped frames.

BTW - here's a forum thread comparing/contrasting the Touch Pro vs. the Touch Pro 2:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71400

If you want - we could both play a downloaded movie on TCPMP and benchmark both devices.

Hey,

So when it comes to the keyboard it all depends on what state you start SmartGear in.

If you start it in portrait mode and THEN open the keyboard, the controls and screen orientation are now in landscape.

If you start in landscape then you have to set screen rotation to 90 and change the directional pad.

I use

w - up

z - down

a - left

s - right

TG16 and Genesis are GREAT! When you use the auto frame skip your bound to get dropped frames sometimes im sure but

there is no lag these games smoke on the throttle to 60fps setting. (bitbank: would be cool to have a FPS monitor when playing a game for testing purposes :D)

TCPMP:

heres where the phone pisses me off. as soon as i load any movie the phone freezes and I have to take the back off and

reset it. im using the wm6.1 version of 72rc1 so either im gonna have to wait for an update or try coreplayer which i know nothing about

as ive always used tcpmp.

as a side note:

the playstation emulator fpsece actually gets me a playable frame rate although still a bit slow to be

enjoyable and they have to fix the VGA mode. but im betting the v10 version they are working on will

be nice on this device.

the screen is AMAZING!

Guest bitbank

> (bitbank: would be cool to have a FPS monitor when playing a game for testing purposes smile.gif)

When you're playing throttled, there's no need for a FPS monitor because either it runs at full speed or it doesn't. If you unthrottle it, you'll see the FPS displayed.

Guest bitbank

I've just updated the Desktop PC version of SmartGear to have the "previously played games" feature and some of the bug fixes. It's also a little more "netbook" friendly - I added the "P" key as a way to pause the game since some netbooks don't have a PAUSE key on their keyboard.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear.zip

L.B.

Guest valhen139
I've just updated the Desktop PC version of SmartGear to have the "previously played games" feature and some of the bug fixes. It's also a little more "netbook" friendly - I added the "P" key as a way to pause the game since some netbooks don't have a PAUSE key on their keyboard.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear.zip

L.B.

Hello

I have an HTC TYTN and i got a suggest. Can you map keys for diagonal directacions? For example, i use W for up, Z for down A and D for left and right and I want to use the E key for UP+RIGHT direction. I hope this can be made.

Nice work with this emulator, is the best man!!!!

bye

Guest PolloLoco
Hey,

So when it comes to the keyboard it all depends on what state you start SmartGear in.

If you start it in portrait mode and THEN open the keyboard, the controls and screen orientation are now in landscape.

If you start in landscape then you have to set screen rotation to 90 and change the directional pad.

I use

w - up

z - down

a - left

s - right

TG16 and Genesis are GREAT! When you use the auto frame skip your bound to get dropped frames sometimes im sure but

there is no lag these games smoke on the throttle to 60fps setting. (bitbank: would be cool to have a FPS monitor when playing a game for testing purposes :D)

TCPMP:

heres where the phone pisses me off. as soon as i load any movie the phone freezes and I have to take the back off and

reset it. im using the wm6.1 version of 72rc1 so either im gonna have to wait for an update or try coreplayer which i know nothing about

as ive always used tcpmp.

as a side note:

the playstation emulator fpsece actually gets me a playable frame rate although still a bit slow to be

enjoyable and they have to fix the VGA mode. but im betting the v10 version they are working on will

be nice on this device.

the screen is AMAZING!

Glad to hear things are working well for you. Why don't you unthrottle Genesis - play a game, and compare the framerate to what I'm getting? Perhaps it's a matter of expectation because my old 6700 had zero dropped frames, and I definitely see some with my Touch Pro.

Also - there's a particular version of TCPMP that was modified specifically for the Touch Pro. Otherwise, it would not work. I recommend trying it, I'll attach the link to the PPCGeeks Thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t...=ultimate+video

Just install the TCPMP file - you don't need the others. If that doesn't work - you could also use Coreplayer. It's just as easy to use as TCPMP - it's by the same people so the GUI is practically the same. Problem is, you'd have to pay to use a full version, but you can download a trial.

Guest Jorgr
A user reminded me about a problem which I actually introduced into SmartGear not too long ago. The backup RAM from GBC/NES/PCE games was not saving/restoring correctly. I had changed the code so that it only got saved if you had "auto load/save" checked. This was a mistake because people want the backup RAM restored even if you're not continuing from the exact spot in your game (e.g. to restore the high score table). I've fixed it and released a new build (1.1.6):

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/private/smartgear.zip

Let me know if this has fixed the backup RAM issue. There's no way to reset the Backup RAM from within SmartGear, so you'll have to delete the files in \SAVE_GAMES. The file name is in the form xxx.yyy.bak where xxx = game name, yyy = system (e.g. GBC/NES/PCE).

L.B.

I believe I was the one who reported this problem.

I tested the updated build (GB/GBC) and discovered that a new type of file was produced (.bak). Even so, the emulator would not restore the saved data. I tried starting a new game in Zelda - Link's Awakening (DX), but when I reset (or reloaded) the game, I had to start from the beginning. The same thing happened in Pokémon Blue.

Another thing I noticed is the unusual format (.bak). Other GB/GBC emulators (TGB Dual, BGB), produce an .sav-file, which varies in size, around 8-64 kb (compression?).

So, unless I'm misunderstanding, and we are discussing two different things, this issue has not been fixed. Also, I would suggest using the same format as the two mentioned emulators - this way save files can be transferred between PC and handheld devices.

Guest tgwaste
Glad to hear things are working well for you. Why don't you unthrottle Genesis - play a game, and compare the framerate to what I'm getting? Perhaps it's a matter of expectation because my old 6700 had zero dropped frames, and I definitely see some with my Touch Pro.

Also - there's a particular version of TCPMP that was modified specifically for the Touch Pro. Otherwise, it would not work. I recommend trying it, I'll attach the link to the PPCGeeks Thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t...=ultimate+video

Just install the TCPMP file - you don't need the others. If that doesn't work - you could also use Coreplayer. It's just as easy to use as TCPMP - it's by the same people so the GUI is practically the same. Problem is, you'd have to pay to use a full version, but you can download a trial.

hey,

so the fix for tcpmp was to set GDI in video options (instead of direct draw).

i download the hqhd version anyway though, thanks for the link!!

i unthrottled genesis and turned of auto frameskip and it was barely playable. also i dont see any FPS meter anywhere on the screen or any option for it so maybe im missing something there?

i thought if it could throttle to 60fps that it was a really good thing. maybe im wrong? i guess i dont understand why one would NOT do that.