TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest pete1312

I still can't get TT Navigator 3 Maps of Western Europe to work with my TTM. It has been reported here (or in other threads on this site) that they are compatible. If done sucessfully, apparently TTM will ask which map you wish to load.

I have copied my "2nd" map (it should not matter which country) into the root directory of my SD card, alongside my original TTM Great-Britain-Map, but I get no option to switch countries.

Can someone please give me further clues?

I quite agree. I have already bought TT for my E200, some **** has stolen the GPS unit and after looking at the latest TT GPS offering compared to other units on the market, I certainly don't want one of theirs.

In addition, I have the sneaky feeling that my old GPS unit was taken specifically because TT will only work with their own kit! ie some hacker has lifted it so they can use it with their cracked version of the software.

As far as Im concerned, I've bought the software and therefore entitled to modify it to make it work with other GPS units.

EDIT awarner

You have to bear in mind though... It is not designed to work with 'numerous cracks'....

I have 3 BT GPS Units.... TT Only works with 2 of them... The original TT and Fortuna.... Altina 708 is no good...

maxmix

PS I am trying to get a complete list of compatible BT GPS's but the thread has not made much progress :)

Guest stevewooding

I've used TT on my pocket pc and am more than happy with it. My problem is that I already have a TT GPS unit, so I just need the software for my smartphone (C500) - why should I splurge for another unit I don't need just to get the software. However, I can't find anywhere on the 'net that sells just the software - it's an all-or-nothing package.

So, does anyone know if/when TT plan to release just the software for those of us loyal customers who've bought their products in the past and now want to use our existing hardware on a new platform?

Steve

I still can't get TT Navigator 3 Maps of Western Europe to work with my TTM. It has been reported here (or in other threads on this site) that they are compatible. If done sucessfully, apparently TTM will ask which map you wish to load.

I have copied my "2nd" map (it should not matter which country) into the root directory of my SD card, alongside my original TTM Great-Britain-Map, but I get no option to switch countries.

Can someone please give me further clues?

Did you get anywhere with this? Cheers

Guest Confucious
So, does anyone know if/when TT plan to release just the software for those of us loyal customers who've bought their products in the past and now want to use our existing hardware on a new platform?

Steve

TT don't seem to value customer loyalty. Your best bet is to by Co-Pilot's maps as it doesn't look like TT will be selling maps only.

Guest stevewooding

I've not used Co-Pilot before, and I really do like TT's format, big icons and 3D map representation.

There's also another hitch - Co-Pilots software-only package is ~£130, and you can get hold of TT's software PLUS GPS unit package for ~£150 on ebay and some other internet stores.

I did email TT and got a standard 'we currently do not supply software-only for the smartphone, we will let you know if this changes in future'

Steve

Guest Confucious

It is a bit of a pain isn't it. You would have thought they would have offered an upgrade path. I was lucky, I only paid £110 for my Co-Pilot including the receiver. With Co-Pilot the s/ware is registered to the device so can't be pirated, you would have thoughtTT would do something similar.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Good luck and merry crimbles :)

Guest christhedon

Hi,

I imagine this question is already answered in this post, however I've gone through 13 pages so far and I'm not getting anywhere. So I'm hoping someone will answer these specific questions:

1) What is the fix for C500 and TomTom (Is it the traffic master pluggin?)

2) Is (1) the only fix?

3) If it is can you just install the pluggin but not use it. I.e. not use the GPRS, but still have TomTom working.

Perhaps a new thread or FAQ could be created with the answers to the above?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MonkeyJug

WOW!!

i was blown away tonight by tomtom...

i took the plunge after reading this thread and i can say that it is THE finest gadget i have ever owned.

straight away, i punched in my mate's address and went round to his house, totally gobsmacked by it's accuracy and the warnings about the speed camera on route to his address.

then, when it said, 'you have reached your destination', i was literally at the front door!

UNBELIEVABLE!!

needless to say, my mate was equally taken with it and now wants one... :)

remarkable piece of equipment - buy one NOW!

Guest awarner [MVP]

I will update the pictures in the first post when I have time, I have

also added the traffic link to the first post so it's easier to find.

Guest chucky.egg

OK, I bit the bullet and got myself TTM, and I have to say... WOW!

The screenshots don't do it justice. It is SO smooth, and the voices are SO clear and steady, especially when compared to Mapopolis, whose pet Dalek used to stutter really badly on my phone.

Anyone considering it, but not quite sure... buy it, it ROCKS! (and I hate phrases like "it ROCKS!")

But a couple of questions...

1) Can I add my own alert signals for POIs? I'd like to have speach warnings for the Speed Cameras, or at least a siren or something. A cow moooing isn't going to make me think "Speed camera ahead!"

2) Anyone know where to get the tool that converts your contacts into a POI overlay? I'm sure I read about it here somewhere but I cant find it now.

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

OK, found the SmartContacts2POI app from a link in the Coolsmartphone review >>> HERE <<<

SmartContacts2POI Thread:

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?nam...ewtopic&t=14116

SmartContacts2POI Download:

http://www.bbpsoftware.co.uk/portals/0/Sma...I_SMP.ARMV4.CAB

Still looking for an answer on the question of adding my own alert signals though....

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest MonkeyJug

you can change the alerting sounds in change preferences/maintain POI/warn when near POI/ then select whatever POI you want to edit and it will let you change the warning distance and sound...

I have mine set as the fog-horn, it's the loudest so i can hear it above my trancey vibes... :)

Guest chucky.egg
you can change the alerting sounds in change preferences/maintain POI/warn when near POI/ then select whatever POI you want to edit and it will let you change the warning distance and sound...

I have mine set as the fog-horn, it's the loudest so i can hear it above my trancey vibes... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, maybe i wasn't very clear.

If i have a wav file (or any audio file that is supported) how can i put it into TomTom so that i can use it as an alert?

Wicked thread.... and after reading it for nearly 2 hours I still need help PLEASE... not that I am desperate or anything....

Purchased TTM way back in October & ran it on my E200, upgraded to C500 once the patch was available.... this bit was OK & I fell in love with TTM.

Just purchased the Parrot 3300 car kit & "bonded" lovingly with the phone part... no problem here... but the TTM is killing me! Read all the tips on renaming the bond to TomTom Wireless etc & yes oh yes it worked... Sat nav & phone perfect bar the voice still comes out of the phone..... no problem I can live with this. Turn the ignition off wait 2 mins & try again....... bugger all GPS. Phone fine but TTM says no gps link blah blah.. Wipe the BT bond, re bond & hey presto works for the first time again but subsequent power ups refuse to recognise the GPS.

Any ideas before my Wife locks me out of the house for spending the whole day looking at the computer or pressing buttons & screaming at the car.. :twisted:

Ta from a suicidal brummie.

Mal