TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest blade6750

I have been using TomTom quite extensivley for ova a week now. And have done quite a bit of driving.

The accuracy is quite impressive. The software is very stable. Even going through a tunnel when the signal is lost your position on the map carries on moving (must be based on ur last position and direction). Im well impressed.

Thats the best £190 quid i eva spent.

can anyone confirm that if you get tomtom mobile smartphone edition it supports both symbian AND MS smartphones. If so can you install the software on either device (not simultaneously one or the other). This would certainly count in it's favour for me as i could use it on a 6600 until the C500 update is sorted.......

ANy other GPS software that supports both Symbian (OS7, Series 60 or UIQ) AND MS Smartphone?

cheers n

Guest pete1312

Taken from the User CD which arrived with my TomTom Mobile today:

Beat the jams with TomTom MOBILE Traffic Plug-In!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TomTom will offer TomTom Traffic in autumn 2004, a real-time traffic information service for TomTom MOBILE customers in Germany, France, the UK and The Netherlands. Download and install the Traffic Plug-In to turn TomTom MOBILE into a full-fledged dynamic navigation system.

The Traffic Plug-In receives live, real-time alerts from the TomTom Traffic server and delivers them straight to the driver. With the Plug-In installed, TomTom MOBILE has integrated traffic features. When driving, TomTom MOBILE offers an on-screen, bird's eye view of traffic incidents on the route ahead, and a schematic overview of all incidents on the route.

TomTom MOBILE leaves the driver in charge. The Traffic Plug-In does not by default change the chosen route automatically. Instead it provides the driver with the right information at the right time, and the right tools to find the best route based on traffic information and the driver's knowledge of the local traffic situation.

A year subscription to TomTom Traffic will cost €49, a month subscription €9.95. As a special offer, TomTom MOBILE customers can now subscribe to a month free trial subscription to TomTom Traffic (this does not include your GPRS connection costs).

TomTom Traffic is available for TomTom MOBILE, and at launch will cover the UK, The Netherlands, Germany and France only. TomTom aims at expanding traffic coverage over the coming year. Please keep an eye on our website to see if and when other countries follow.

To subscribe, go to www.tomtom.com/traffic and follow the instructions on screen. To subscribe to TomTom Traffic you will need to have a working GPRS Internet connection on your phone. To register for the free trial, you will need a valid and activated product code for TomTom MOBILE. Click here for more information on the Traffic Plug-In for TomTom MOBILE: www.tomtom.com/traffic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

® Copyright © 2004 TomTom BV. All rights reserved.

Guest sameerabedi

It's me again! I'm just so anxious to get my hands on TomTom Mobile. Since the start of the year my mates have been showing off TomTom on their PDA's, but I patiently waited for it to be released on my e200 - my e200 decided to pack in so I upgraded to a c500 - now to my dismay it's been relaesed for the e200!

So what should I do? Should I buy it and use it on the c500 and wait for the BT fix or wait for the fix before buying? Is the fix a hardware problem or a software problem, in that if I buy it now and copy the software to my miniSD card will TomTom just release an update which I would need to install or will the hardware actually change?

Please let me know - I just want it on my phone asap!!!! (I admit I sound sad, but what can u do?? LOL!)

Thanks

Sameer :shock:

I fully expect a fix for the C500 to be available soon, TomTom are well aware that they are missing a large target market by not having support available. They also need to consider the implications of the mini-SD card format the C500 uses as currently you would have to buy a suitable mini-SD and copy the contents over from the suppplied 128MMC card.

Guest friedcat

After reading the review I knew I had to have this (it'll be the first accessory I'll be buying for my smartphone).

Just managed get hold of TomTom Mobile off eBay for just under £150 inc VAT; can't wait 'till it arrives!

Has anyone had any reliability issues at all or is it quite stable?

Guest pete1312

£150 is a very good price!

I received mine yesterday (£180.15 incl postage from ebuyer).

Tried it out last night for the first time and must report that it is excellent. Very stable, other than it tends to go round in circles whilst stationary at traffic lights etc - but straightens up again immediately you start moving. I do not consider this to be a fault.

My only slight problem so far is that my Jabra BT250 earpiece was not able to pick up an incoming call whilst TT Mobile was on.

Other people have reported no problems with concurrent use, but has anyone had Jabra BT 250 working concurrently?

EDIT: My Jabra BT250 now DOES work.

Has anyone had any reliability issues at all or is it quite stable?

Happy to report that it is one of if not the most stable app I've installed on a Smartphone, benn through SPV, E100 and now E200 and it is rock solid which is more than can be said for other apps I've used :)

Guest sameerabedi
I fully expect a fix for the C500 to be available soon, TomTom are well aware that they are missing a large target market by not having support available.  They also need to consider the implications of the mini-SD card format the C500 uses as currently you would have to buy a suitable mini-SD and copy the contents over from the suppplied 128MMC card.

The problem is with the design of the c500. On the e200 all u need to do is remove ur existing SD card and replace it with the MMC card whilst ur in the car - if they released it for the c500 in miniSD format then u'd have to turn ur phone off, remove the battery and then swap the cards - which are tiny!!! It would be a lot of hassle - so copying to a larger miniSD card would be the only option.

Why did HTC decide to go all clever - after managing to shrink the c500 to a nice size comparable with most other phones, they then used a new format of SD card and put it in a really awkward position!!!!??? Having a side slot for the SD card was much better, and they should've stuck to that!!

Anyway I don't really have an issue about copying the information across, I'm glad that ur able to in the first place - I'm just anxious to get that BT fix sorted - how come the problem exists when the c500 is essentially the same as the e200???

Anyone from TomTom on these forums who know anything about the fix and whether it is imminent???

Thanks,

Sameer

Guest the_ugly_north

Question....

after managing to shrink the c500 to a nice size comparable with most other phones
Answer.....

they then used a new format of SD card and put it in a really awkward position!!!!??? Having a side slot for the SD card was much better, and they should've stuck to that!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Guest sameerabedi

Yeah, although they got it down to a good size, surely they could have left the SD card slot on the side???

Anyway, does anyone know if the fix will be a software update - cause i managed to get my e200 back from the dead and so should I buy the software use it on the e200 and then wait for the fix before using it on the c500 - or will the software be updated and I'd have to buy it seperately.

Thanks!

The update will be made available as a download on TomTom's website so you can happily buy for use on the E200 and transfer to the C500 as and when the fix is published :)

Guest pete1312
The update will be made available as a download on TomTom's website so you can happily buy for use on the E200 and transfer to the C500 as and when the fix is published :)

C500 does not effect me - I'm happily using E200.

I would however mention that www.tomtom.com is a real pain (in my opinion) to try to navigate around!

Even though I already have a GPS solution (Smartnav) in the car it is not very good at all.

I am therefore going to go mobile.

However after just selling my E200 to upgrade to a C500 i find that I can't do it using Tom Tom grrrr

Does anybody have any idea when the update will be released? Are we talking weeks, months, quarters?

Are there people on the forum testing a C500 solution ? awarner?

Also does the C500 support concurrent BT connections?

And last but not least just grabbed this from the Tom Tom website.

Question  

What effect does TomTom MOBILE have on phone battery life?  

Answer  

Using TomTom MOBILE will drain the phone battery much faster than most applications. To avoid running out of battery:  

Purchase a car charger for your phone and charge your phone whenever you are not charging the TomTom Wireless GPS receiver.  

Whenever you have finished using TomTom MOBILE, you must close that application using the “Exit application” menu option.  

Will the C500 battery last a day on a trip from say London to Newcastle, or will it need to be pluged into the cigerette lighter.

What in car chargers are out for the c500?

Cheers for answers to any of these.

Fozza

Guest pete1312

I've just completed a 5 hour return trip with TT Mobile running on my E200. It's fully charged battery lasted 4.75 hrs, so I guess a car charger is a must!

Guest awarner [MVP]

I used a sync and charge cable when I tested the E200 but I normally charge it when I'm in the car anyway :)

As for the C500, the battery life is far superior and so TTMobile will last a good journey without needing a charge. For long distances I would recommend a charger that same as I would when using a PocketPC running the same app. Remember the backlight is always on and so will drain the battery.

Car chargers only cost a few pounds and can be easily bought from ebay. Just remember to buy a five pin mini USB charger.

As for BT according to other members of the site here it's a Yes

and as for a C500 release I do not have a definate date but hopefully it will be very soon.

awarner you are worse than a politician! :roll:

Do I save money from this months paycheck, next months, or ask Santa?

Problem with using in this system in conjunction with a charger is that my fag lighter in the car already powers my Archos Av340.

I can sit the reciever on the back window and run it's power from the boot fag lighter however this does not work for the front.

Is it possible to buy a spare battery for the C500 yet?

Cheers for the quick response by the way.

Fozza

Guest awarner [MVP]

I don't know about a spare battery off hand.

But as I have been lucky enough to be a beta tester due to NDA

I cannot give you details on a release date even if I had one.

All I know is that they are working on a release as fast as they can.

Guest Confucious
awarner you are worse than a politician!  :roll:  

Problem with using in this system in conjunction with a charger is that my fag lighter in the car already powers my Archos Av340.  

What are you doing watching your av340 while you're driving? :)