TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest DJBenson

I'm more than impressed with the software. I thought I'd try using it with BetaPlayer running in the background so I could have the music and directions coming through my car speakers and it works brilliantly - as long as you don't use a codec that is processor intensive (like AAC LC).

I encoded a load of tracks using 64kbs OGG which sound fine through car speakers and there is no slow down in the software at all.

Well done to TomTom for making the software light on CPU time.

Guest JimDerDog
You need to extract the files to a folder on your PC (don't run the Setup from within Winzip. The setup routine needs to see the apk file in the same folder it is in and when you run it from within Winzip or file compression view in XP it temporarily opens it in a temp folder for your profile; which is where the apk file is not) and run the setup from the folder you extracted the files to. Make sure you've got Active Synch running, connected and logged on (if you have the password set). :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thought it might be something stupid that I had done, rather than a fault with the phone - thanks so much for your help qwiki and chazzer - greatly appreciated from a much happier JimDerDog :lol: :( I can see where i am going now!!

Guest JimDerDog

Getting over-excited now - been out detecting speed cameras etc round here - very impressed, but now want more! Does checkpoint actually work with C500? I have the speed camera POIs downloaded and installed, but checkpoint looks like a really impressive toy and the one with teh most toys wins. If it does work, is there an idiot-proof (see above for how idiot-proof required) set of instructions around for installing? All the info on the pocket GPS site seems to indicate that it is only for navogator, not mobile.

JimDer

Getting over-excited now - been out detecting speed cameras etc round here - very impressed, but now want more!  Does checkpoint actually work with C500?  I have the speed camera POIs downloaded and installed, but checkpoint looks like a really impressive toy and the one with teh most toys wins.  If it does work, is there an idiot-proof (see above for how idiot-proof required) set of instructions around for installing?  All the info on the pocket GPS site seems to indicate that it is only for navogator, not mobile.

JimDer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not familiar with Checkpoint, but from their website it looks like a POI warning system for TomTom Navigator on PDA's. Well, if all you want is to be notified when you're near a speed camera or other POI, then TomTom Mobile has this built in.

From the navigator screen either press '5' or go through the menu and choose option '5' Change Preferences. Press '6' Next, then press '5' Maintain POI. Now press '4' Warn when near POI. Select the POI, type in a disance, click OK. Use up/down and 'Test' to pick a warning sound, then 'Select' it. Choose whether to warn only if POI is on route (I'd suggest not for speed cameras), and press Done.

Removing warnings is just as simple. Go through the menus to the 'Warn when near POI' as above. Select one with a speaker symbol next to it that you want to remove. Choose Yes/No accordingly.

Now go and have fun, and show off to all your mates what a great phone you've got :lol:

@beginner

I bought TTM from them and can't fault the service. Bloke on the phone was friendly and efficient, order tracking was top notch (even SMS updates) and arrives before 9am the next day from ordering at 4pm.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Yes without any problems.

Just copy directly from one card to the other either using a card reader or via activsync from phone to PC and back again.

The activsync way can take longer and can also be prone to timing out.

Guest awarner [MVP]

There is a windows and a Symbian version of TTM

As for costs it depends on how much work has gone into the product and what the authors feel it is worth to help them recover development costs..

Guest beginner

Sorry awarner, should have been a bit clearer. What I mean't to ask was are there different windows versions ? A bit like the ROM on the C500.

What I don't want to get from them is TTM which has been sat on their shelves for over 12 months.

Guest DJBenson

I used globalpositioningsystems.co.uk for my TTM pacage - I got a customer returned bundle but it was £30 off the list price which covered the cost of a dual cig adaptor and a snazzy window suction holder for the phone (despite negative comments on the forums - it holds the phone well).

Highly recommend the supplier and also the software. I'm taking my first proper journey with it on saturday to High Wycombe (400 mile round trip) so that should put the software though it's paces.

@cdrider

Did you successfully transfer the data from their card onto a MiniSD card ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, no problems. I copied it from the MMC, to PC, to mini-SD (bought a card reader) then just put the card in the C500. I was a bit nervous at first but it's easy to get going. All the info is in this thread :lol:

Jim,

Just a thought, but you did run the traffic update on the PC while the phone is connected by Activesync, didn't you?

Try following these steps:-

Switch off Bluetooth on your phone.

Remove the GPS device from your phones BT list.

Apply the traffic update as above if not already done so.

Enable both com6 and com7.

Switch on GPS device.

Start TomTom Mobile.

It will switch on your phones bluetooth automatically.

The screen will say the signal was lost and start counting up.

After about 1 to 2 minutes the phone will bleep and the message changes to say switch off the phone and switch it back on.

Do switch the phone off.

Switch the phone on.

Start TomTom Mobile.

Again it switches bluetooth on automatically and should auto connect to the GPS.

Hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

qwiki.... I LOVE YOU! I have been fiddling around with mij T-Mobile SDA and several GPS devices, ended up buying the TomTom mobile GPS, followed your instructions and BAM! off we go!

Thanks a million, you're a lifesaver! :lol:

Guest beginner

Ordered it from gps4less in the end globalpositioningsystems.co.uk hiked the price since my post :-(

DJBenson, how did you hear about the cheaper customer return option....anymore going ?

Guest DJBenson
DJBenson, how did you hear about the cheaper customer return option....anymore going ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd been watching the site in the hope they'd reduce the price and one night I noticed they had one in stock that was flagged as a customer return but in working order and with full 12 month warranty - for £140 so I stopped hesitating and ordered it.

When it turned up the box was a bit battered and the GPS unit had a few scratches on it - but the £25 I saved went towards some other kit I needed so they were not that significant to me.

Guest pmeletti

ok...

I copied the MMC to my PC then upto the miniSD card (root of it)

I then turned on the C500, then went to file manager and went the sotrage card then tomtom dir, then run tomtom mobile.exe (as there was nothing from tomtom when I switched the spv on..)

Now I get the TomTom Mobile option under the menu, but when I run it I get the message "Failed to Start"..

HELP!

Guest chazzer
ok...

I copied the MMC to my PC then upto the miniSD card (root of it)

I then turned on the C500, then went to file manager and went the sotrage card then tomtom dir, then run tomtom mobile.exe (as there was nothing from tomtom when I switched the spv on..)

Now I get the TomTom Mobile option under the menu, but when I run it I get the message "Failed to Start"..

HELP!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you copy all folders to the root of you MiniSD card. (You may need to enable view hidden files in Explorer before you copy the files).

Did you click Start, then More... (9), then More... (9) because there should be a double hand icon on the next menu choice.

Best bet is to follow awarners advice at the beginning of the thread and I promise you it works. :lol:

Guest pmeletti

Yes the double hand icon is there, but when I run it I get that error.

I followed this:

1. You need 6,5 MB free mem on MiniSD to update.

To free memory you can remove voicefiles.

Two types are available: tomtom/dataXX.chk (16kHz for S60 and MSSP) and tomtom/dataXX.22k (22kHZ for MSSP only).

MSSP users can delete any double 16kHZ voice file, S60 users can delete any (double) 22kHz voice file.

E.g. if you have data04.chk, data05.chk, data04.22k and data05.22k (all english voices), you can delete the files data04.chk and data05.chk, because the 22kHz voicefiles are of higher quality. The app will always try to open 22kHz voicefiles first if present.

Unfortunatly it did not say how the program executes (ie do I need to run the exe I run or should it auto launch on spv pwr up..)

Thanks! :S

Guest awarner [MVP]

How much space do you have free on your storage card?

It could be that you did not need to remove the above files and you may have accidently removed another file by mistake.

Am I wrong, or is the info in this thread just being repeated again and again and again...?

All that has been said for the last few months is already IN this thread. Why does everyone insist on having it explained individually? It just clutters up the thread...

Guest awarner [MVP]

Nope you're correct, ppl find it easier to ask the questions again than to wade through the past 28 pages to find the solution. It's human instinct to find the easiest option and we have the choice to help those in need or not.

It's something that always happens and is unlikely to ever change.