Scrolling appointment plug in

Guest sullivanpt

Guest TEXMudder

I am unable to get this to work. I tried using the sample homescreen that comes with the install and I have tried to edit the xml into my own homescreen. This the message I get on my SMT5600:

"No home screen layouts can be found. Install a valid home screen layout and then select it using Home Screen item in Settings."

Any thoughts? Can someone else post their xml?

Guest nickcornaglia
:-)

have you been able to modify font size and background colour, encence?

cheers, lutz

Didnt do anything with this one yet. It's been a busy week. I'll play with it this weekend.

Guest chucky.egg

Something happened to this thread?

I couldn't seem to get to Page 3, but when I posted this it started Page 3 with no other posts on this page.

Anyways... If I missed something can people re-post please?

Guest sullivanpt

Well, it's 4 in the morning my time. Baby and Wife just woke up and complained that I really need to go to bed. Bummer, I was on a roll too!

I fixed the recurring appointments (This was the killer, 17 hours of frustration before I got this working right :!: ).

Added user variables to control the delay between auto-scrolling events, the amount of time each appointment is displayed, option to disable auto-scroll (really! somebody asked for this), allow a custom launch URL with the action button.

Single day all day events don't show the date twice.

Scrolling past the end no longer jumps to the beginning.

Manually scrolling right when "no appointments" is displayed no longer jumps to the first appointment in your calendar.

I will work on the formatting issues tomorrow.

Thanks all!

:smile:

you are our hero, buddy! i can't wait for the next version - you should let out versions 1.25/1.3/1.35 and so on just to feed us hungry plug in junkies...

cheers, lutz

Guest chucky.egg

Wow fella!

We really appreciate your hard work, but don't forget to have some sleep and/or a life.

Looking forward to the updates though.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest coolandfast

i have played with the new version 1.1 which was send to me today and i have to say, most of the issues are gone!

patrick alias sullivanpt has done an outstandig job last night! i will post more comments when i tested more but guys, this is the plugin you where looking for!!!

greetings.

Guest chucky.egg

@sullivanpt

Just trying version 1.1

I don't know if some of this is intentional, but i've found a couple of things:

- Todays appointments scroll slowly ( > 5 seconds to move to the next item)

- The first appointment tomorrow scrolls slowly

- The rest of tomorrow's appointments scroll normally

- After going through tomorrow's appointments it shows the first appointment tomorrow again

My plugin code is this:

scroll-timer = 10

scroll-speed = 1300

scroll-days = 2

I'll post the whole home.xml if it'll help

p.s. Thanks for the offer of a freebie, but I thought it only fair that i buy a copy after all the effort you've put in!

Guest sullivanpt

I updated the link in the first post of this thread so everyone can download v1.1 from handango.

- Todays appointments scroll slowly ( > 5 seconds to move to the next item)  

- The first appointment tomorrow scrolls slowly

- The rest of tomorrow's appointments scroll normally  

It is true, adding in the recurring appointments hurt the performance :lol: . I find it quite useable on my MPx220, but let me know if older smartphones run too sluggishly -- I have an idea on how to improve this.

- After going through tomorrow's appointments it shows the first appointment tomorrow again  

If this is in auto-scroll mode (unselected) and you have no more appointments for today, then it is doing what it's supposed to do for scroll-days="2". If it's doing this and it's selected, give me some idea of what your appointment times and types are for the next three days, and I'll recreate it in my debugger.

As always, thanks for the wonderful suggestions and help!

Patrick

Guest chucky.egg

Me again!

Why does it show the first appointment for day 2 again? It makes it look like i have 2 meetings the same. Can't it start again at the start of day 1?

I'm also having problems with the highlight and text colours. I can set the highlight colour, but i can't change the text colour, so i can't use black for the highlight and still see the text.

One last thing. How can i show the date or time of a meeting with the plugin on a single line? It looks like the date is always on the line below the subject.

On the recurring appointments can we turn that off to improve speed? I don't need to see those so i'd rather lose them and have it scroll faster.

Thanks for all your work on this. It's coming along really well and really quickly too!

Guest sullivanpt
Why does it show the first appointment for day 2 again? It makes it look like i have 2 meetings the same. Can't it start again at the start of day 1?  
We might not be talking about the same thing. I'm imagining that you aren't seeing any appointments for day 1 because all of your day 1 appts. are already ended. Probably should post or e-mail me a rundown of the current and following 2 days worth of appts (subjects, etc. not needed, just times).

I'm also having problems with the highlight and text colours. I can set the highlight colour, but i can't change the text colour, so i can't use black for the highlight and still see the text.  

This should come from the fgcolor attribute of the format tag inside the plugin. I thought I had this working, let me know

One last thing. How can i show the date or time of a meeting with the plugin on a single line? It looks like the date is always on the line below the subject.
This isn't supported yet. You'll have to wait for 1.2 :lol:

On the recurring appointments can we turn that off to improve speed? I don't need to see those so i'd rather lose them and have it scroll faster.  

Hee hee, No way I'm turning off recurring appointments after spending 17 hours to get them in :arrow: #-o (The entire rest of the code only took 20 hours) . But I itend to improve the scroll speed in 1.2 too.

I'm off to bed for the evening (it's 4 am again!). Have fun.

Definately the one plugin I've been waiting for, and what a great job you've done with it!

Just one thing I would like added (and I realise you can't do what everyone wants but I think this would be useful for people), is it possible to show the appointment location?

I have so many lectures in a week its great to just look at the homescreen & see where I'm going next.

Thanks.

Guest sullivanpt
Just one thing I would like added (and I realise you can't do what everyone wants but I think this would be useful for people), is it possible to show the appointment location?

Thanks for the good wishes. and your feature is on my to do list for 1.2 :!:

Patrick

... i couldn't resist anymore and had to get me the full version without the fancy stripes. thank you for the fantastic idea and its very quick and smart development over the last days!

cheers, lutz

Guest chucky.egg
We might not be talking about the same thing.
Yeah, I think you're right. I've just emailed you

Yeah, that works! Sorry, just my inexperience at homescreen design!

This isn't supported yet.  You'll have to wait for 1.2  :lol:
Already planning 1.2?

Not planning on any holidays in the next few years are you? We might have lots of stuff for you to be doing! :D

Hee hee, No way I'm turning off recurring appointments after spending 17 hours to get them in

I didn't mean for you to turn them off, I meant an option for the user to opt not to have them (maybe via a setting in the plugin?)

That probably doesn't matter if you can resolve the speed issues anyway

Again, thanks for all your work, but GET BACK OUT OF BED AND FINISH IT! ;) (I'm kidding!)

Guest coolandfast

@ sullivanpt

for users like me who do not use the location - please make it a feature to be handled flexible....

i have also encountered the differences in scrolling-interval but quite honestly, it does not bother me at all!

i just wait to be able to define the sequence how the fields are displayed (eg tomorrows appointment -> [date], [time] [appointment] @ [location]).

i like it a lot, thats way i had to get it! i think, good development work needs to be supported.

Guest chucky.egg
i like it a lot, thats way i had to get it! i think, good development work needs to be supported.

Well said! And developer interest in their customers doesn't get much better than this

Guest nickcornaglia

Like Lutzh, I bought the plugin tonight. I'm still playing with it but I did notice that it jumps back to the beginning of the month ocassionally. (Nov 1st). A bit sluggish but I'm hoping for improvement with future releases. Also still trying to figure out formatting unsucessfully thus far.

Guest sullivanpt

As I'm sure you noticed, I dedicated yesterday to keeping the wife and baby happy. Went shopping (bought a $5 coffee, thanks! :lol: ), visited baby's grandma, and watched the DVD of 50 first dates. A good time was had by all.

I'm hoping to have a new version 1.2 by next week. I plan to look into the following option,s plus anything else you bring up between now and then that I can figure out how to implement.

- Full support for label tags and customization of location, time, and subject placement.

- Better scrolling response time (and improved battery life as a result).

- Fix buffer problem when appointment subjects are longer than 90 characters.

- Don't show "best" appointment when in continuous scroll mode (some combinations of user settings can make it appear that the next upcoming appointment is scrolling by twice).

- Track down probably memory leak (anyone else experience this?)

Keep those ideas coming, and have a great week!

Patrick