SPV BATTERY

Guest Satans Cyber Kid

Guest Satans Cyber Kid

Guys i only seem to get about day out of my battery and thats even when i am not using it much.....Do you think i might have a duff battery?

There are few things with the SPV like the battery that is letting it down

Thanks for your help

Guest Satans Cyber Kid
How long have you had it?

Mine is definitely better than it was to begin with (I'm on about my 5th charge / discharge cycle).

P

I have had it since friday. I charge it before i got to bed and then take it off when i get up. It just does not seem to last as well as nokia. the last few days i have made no calls only sent 2 text and it goes right down to about 2 bars.......

Do you think i should get a new one sent to me?

Guest MartinS

My battery is the same, a day and a half with little usage is what I am getting so far :D

I am currently charging the phone for the 4th time and i've only had the phone for 6 days. Another annoyance is that I do not appear to be able to use the alarm with the phone switched off, a fairly standard feature in other phones, and this would at least conserve some battery life.

Other than this its agreat phone but I really need a longer lasting battery. As it stands I may have to use the 14 day returns :cry:

Guest Paul [MVP]

Hmmmm, not good guys.

I guess it is to be expected that the colour screen zaps the battery, although it is a high capacity battery.

I am lucky in that I can normally leave it docked all day, charging in the office...

:?

P

The origional weight should have been 120grams, they reduced this to just 95grams. They have reduced the thickness of the battery since the origional prototype that I saw.

I guess this may have suffered but public views was that 120grams was too heavy.

Battery life is supposed to be around 3 hours talktime and 3.5days standby. The standby is seriously effected by doing things on the phone as the colour screen uses a lot of power.

Guest Third_of_Five
I am lucky in that I can normally leave it docked all day, charging in the office...

So is the phone being charged when it's in the USB cradle? or is that some other cradle.

I ask, cos mine went nearly flat whilst sat in the cradle. Im sure it did. So sure am I that I dont now leave it in the cradle.

If you say othewise, i'll give it another go.

Guest Third_of_Five
You had the power cable plugged into the cradle right?

Lol, no!

I gathered from reading the newgroups that there was some way to plug the charger in. Well, I looked and I looked, and thought, they've sent me the wrong cradle, must have.

Then it dawned on me. That strange adapter that I had to plug my charger into before I could plug it into the phone, which I couldnt understand why it was like that at the time, ah... a little hole somewhere, here's me looking for a large slot!

It's hidden away in what looks like a screw hole. No wonder i couldnt find it.

Guess it's about time I read the manual eh?

Na, im a programmer, we dont read manuals, that's admitting defeat! We just like to make fools of ourselves instead.

Hehe, so it's charging now, in the cradle as I type :D

Q. Do we yet know if it's possible to get a spare charger/cradle? Gonna need one for work. Not much point having a "mobile" if you have to lug a suitcase full of accessories around with it.

Guest Fuchikoma

Like so many have said before me, I really really want to like this phone. And I do, except for the one extremely off-putting fact that the phone's battery has the stamina of a grossly over-weight 80-year-old. I can appreciate the fact that it's a computer/phone hybrid, so I don't expect to get the same longivity on the battery as my old ericsson T39 (which lasts about a week on a recharge). However, I've seen NOWHERE near the 100 hours standby time the danish orange SPV website tells me it has. More like a quarter of that. I'm really thinking about returning it, since I'd have to carry a charger with me, wherever I go. I want a portable phone/pda and not have to bring all sorts of gear just because I might not be back within a day.

What were they thinking when they made this phone? Didn't they figure that people would want to actually turn it on or what?!?

Anyone think it would be possible to optimize the OS for better power management? I mean, since the hardware is pretty hard to do anything about.

Guest Satans Cyber Kid

Hi Guys i have to say the battery on my spv has been rather good today. I have made calls been on msn messenger and sent text messages and i have only lost on bar from the battery display. I took it off charge a 9 am today so not bad really. Just hope it keeps up

My battery is getting better and better after 7 or so complete charge/discharge cycles. I only have amobile and use it for all my business conference calling etc throughout the day and my SPV is lasting about the same as my T68 under heavy use - CHarge up overnight and lasts 1 day of full use, overnight (left on) and another half day. Unsure why a Li-ion battery needs so much power cycling, one should normally be enough.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I can't understand why it's not Li-Polymer, like the T68i?

Or is it? It seems awfully small for 1000Mah Li-Ion...

Mine is getting better and better too...

P

Guest Satans Cyber Kid

P

I think all the SPV needs is a bit of time and TLC

The more i use it the more i love it. I was on the train on the way home tonight and thought i would log onto my company email system via IE......Oh my god i cant get over how good it was......This phone is the nuts even with all its problems i would not be with out it

Guest MartinS

Well my battery is getting worse :x After a full recharge last night, taken off charge at 7am this morning, used for five minutes in total all day, the phone is now warning me of a low battery. I am afraid this is going back tomorrow :D

I need a phone with a battery that will last for 36-48 hours without a charge with moderate use 30-45 minutes. This is not that phone, or at least the one I have isn't :wink:

Guest Satans Cyber Kid
Well my battery is getting worse  :x   After a full recharge last night, taken off charge at 7am this morning, used for five minutes in total all day, the phone is now warning me of a low battery.  I am afraid this is going back tomorrow  :D  

I need a phone with a battery that will last for 36-48 hours without a charge with moderate use 30-45 minutes.  This is not that phone, or at least the one I have isn't  :wink:

I am really sorry to hear that mate....maybe ask for a replacement

Guest Third_of_Five

Is it not that you/we are playing with the phone less and less as the novelty facter wanes?

I am sure my batt life is genuinely getting longer as I have not really had a chance to play properly yet, the phone has pretty much been put into comission and I have been away a lot on business so no chance to lay around :-(. I guess it might gt a real hammering this weekend!

Guest spacemonkey

Battery life on Li-ion batterys does in fact get better after a number of cycles. This is standard for all li-ion batteries.

As to poor battery life in general... this is no great surprise. The official rating off orange is 3.5hours talk and 100hrs standby (and I never believe these ratings) at a time when most phones have standbys of at least a week this is admiting from the outset that it's not a big battery and the phone is very demanding.

The design seems to be based on the concept that when you get home at night you'll drop the thing in it's cradle to sync and leave it there on charge over night, every night.

If this is unnacceptable then I think you've made the wrong choice of phone and should get something with long battery life that lets you talk on the phone and buy something like this when it's 2nd or 3rd gen and a lot more finalised.

Later

Monkey

Guest Funkyberry

Hi there...

Last year for my industrial year placement, I worked for an internet startup company. Everyone in the company was issues with IBM Workpad C3's (i.e. rebadged Palm V or something)... They also had Nokia 6210e's (on Orange too actually)...

When people got into the office, then plonked the Workpads and the 6210's into their docking stations, and thats where they sat until the user had to goto meetings or something.

The Orange SPV is quite obviously aimed, for now, at business users. Business users don't have time to sit there watching 2 hour long video clips (unless they are waiting for South West trains!)... so they will be happy to show it off at business lunches or conferences, but the rest of the phone's life will be stuck in its docking bay recharging.

Oh yer, and for when they got home? We bought them docking stations and chargers for home :D

-funkyberry-

Guest bjambean

I do completely understand the role of this phone as being highly business orientated (it screams "I'm business minded" at the top of its voice all the time) and the fact that it can do Sound Pictures and Video is the thing that entices users like my self who will use the phone to death and not need all of the business features.

but the problem I have with the phone is that they have been more than generous with the in box accessories but for a phone with such a poor battery they should have either included a second charger or battery and if they chose to add a battery, they should have added a slot on the desktop cradle so that both batteries can be charged at once.

I have to say that I am sending mine back. I love the stuff it can do but it does it rather slowly - i.e. stuttering mp3s if you are doing something else on the phone. The battery life is also annoying but I think I would keep the phone and carry the charger around with me if it weren't for the stupid certification thing!

In whole too many little bugs and faults turn this phone into a poor one - for me anyway - but I have a feeling that this certification thing won't last long before it's cracked and Orange will fix the bugs and I'll buy one again and put up with the poor battery life (Or maybe I could bodge a t68 battery onto it!)

The stuttering MP3's you can actually stop, all depends on what the bitrate of the MP3 is.

I have been finding that any media you wanna mess around with, if it runs at the right bitrate you can still get away with doing something else on the phone.