C500 is making Data Calls by itself!

Guest filao

Just found out that my C500 is making data calls by itself ... the two arrows pop up in the top right corner every few seconds and is taking 5p off each time.

I'm on Orange PAYG and I know it's not GPRS. I have no WAP connection (I've even taken the WAP number off so it can't dial) and have cleared all IE history.

I'm not sure when it started (I think last night) but could it have something to do with me getting yet another messge saying that action register.arm is ready to download ( igt one of those last night).

Can't give any more info cos my phone is off at the moment.

Any ideas before I hard reset?

Thanks

I have heard about a 'virus' being implanted in certain pieces of software that automatically connects to the Internet and incurs data costs. In certain cases the 'virus' dials a premium number or incurs large GPRS costs where the cash ends up in the code writers pocket!

An example of this was a pirate version of Mosquitos on the Nokia 60 series phones (Symbian).

If you are using any potentially dodgy software I would remove that first to see if the problem goes away...

I've already run AV Scanner for Smartphone and nothing came up (although there is no update definitions function on the demo version).

I'm gonna try the Trend one now and see.

At the moment I've set it so that the Data connection is GPRS then put the wrong user/pass so it cant connect...

I think another hard reset is in order :evil:

Guest jleecong
An example of this was a pirate version of Mosquitos on the Nokia 60 series phones (Symbian).

Actually the author of the program admitted that it was in the original code and was intended for registration checking that never worked out. So it was always in the source just never implemented. The pirated version didn't have any xtra code added except a few screen changes.

A quick search on Google turned up these links. (+ a lot more)

http://home.tvd.be/ws36178/security/troyan/mquito.html

http://www.dvhardware.net/article2932.html

"The Trojan.Mquito is not a trojanized version of the game, the hidden SMS functionality was put in the game from the beginning by the original manufacturer.

This functionality was supposed to be some kind of a copy-protecting technique, but it didn't work right and the whole functionality backfired.

According to the manufacturer, the premium rate contract for the receiving phone numbers has been terminated, so although old versions of the game still send hidden SMS messages, it only costs the nominal fee of sending the message itself"

Edited by jleecong

Guest jleecong
I've already run AV Scanner for Smartphone and nothing came up (although there is no update definitions function on the demo version).

I'm gonna try the Trend one now and see.

At the moment I've set it so that the Data connection is GPRS then put the wrong user/pass so it cant connect...

I think another hard reset is in orderĀ  :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had similar issues with my 5600. The first 2 days it used almost .5MB of data according to AT&T but I wasn't the one who was doing anything. Not sure but for me I ripped out all of AT&Ts setting out and by the 3rd day was no longer using bandwidth.

JLeeCong - thanks for clarifying the mosquitos point.

filao - another thought was that cretain homescreens use GPRS to update weather/time/etc. - do you have any of these running?

Yeah i had the problem with o2 on my c500. seemed to charged 5p/min all day. ended up deleting the data settings as i hadn't installed any additional programs on the phone.

Nope, no plugins at all ... although I used to have some installed but took them off (I think).

I dont use any homescreens with weather et al plugins anyway.

It could be due to an MMS message trying to automatically download and failing. You could try setting the MMS send/receive option to manual in the account setup and see if you receive an SMS to the inbox instead.