Blue Angel rom versions

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

UPDATE:

A new radio stack version 1.13.00 is now out. I've just finished installing it.

Unsurprisingly no dramatic changes from 1.12 though.

Guest JCopeland8814

Not to sound like a complete moron but what does updating the rom do exactly other than allow me to say I've got the newest version?

Guest Pondrew

Depends on which rom you mean. There's the Windows Mobile Rom, Radio Stack Rom + Bluetooth Stack, and the External Rom.

The newer the rom version, the newer the version of Windows Mobile. The changes will usually be beneath the hood but you get small feature changes (icons that weren't there before, different ways of displaying info such as a seperate gprs and telephone signal indicator, etc). Stability and functionality improve.

In theory the newer the radio stack version the better the strength and clarity of signal. I live in a 1 to 2 bar blackspot for T-Mobile and when I had radio stack 1.00 as shipped on the device the phone would cut out from time to time in a call as it lost signal. Since updating to 1.10, 1.12 and 1.13 people are able to hear me more and it doesn't cut out anymore. In fact, I'd say the update turned a 1bar signal at home into a 2bar signal.

There have also been suggestions that the radio stack directly affects the range of Bluetooth.

When the T-Mobile MDA III came out Bluetooth Manager on it sucked and it would regularly lock up the device. This was build 1500 or something like that. Since updating to 3500 and then 3900 the bluetooth range MAY be better but you can be damn sure the stability IS. No more lockups at all.

And finally you have the External Rom, updates to which will include newer versions of the software you had before. For example HTC include applications like Camera, Album, File Explorer, etc. Newer versions are included in newer external roms.

And finally, installing different roms (from different providers) enables you to change the branding or bundled software on the device.

Hope that helped!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pondrew
YES ORANGE M2000 UK RECIVED TUESDAY 19TH JUL

OPERATOR VERSION 4.40.1.179

ROM VERSIONĀ  1.40.00 WWE

ROM DATE 03/10/05

RADIO VERSION 1.06.02

PROTOCAL VERSION 1337.38

EXTROM VERSION 1.40.179 WWE

wmp 10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No sign of this as a Rom Update yet but we can hope...

Guest Big_Dogg123

Tried the O2 Asia ROM on my XDA IIs, since it's the same provider n all. But I keep getting the Country ID error. I'm not getting a response on the XDA-Dev site, any chance you can PM me any advice Pondrew.

PS - Also tried the PDA 2k update with the same Country ID error. Its soooo annoying that every time it fails, the phone hard resets and you have to configure it all over again, just to have another attempt at updating it.

And yes, I did use the MaUpgrade thingy.

Guest Pondrew

Thought I should let you guys know, I found out you may be unable to install software that came with your device after changing to another providers rom.

I recently tried to reinstall the GPRS monitor that came from T-Mobile with my MDA III only to find it was coded to only install on the T-Mobile rom! As my MDA III now thinks it's an I-mate PDA2k neither the GPRS monitor nor the Voice Dial tool will install anymore.

Thankfully T-Mobile's automated 150 line and website both show GPRS allowance remaining with what seems like accuracy to within a hr! As for voicedial, I swear by Microsoft Voice Command which is worlds better giving almost total control of the device through vocal commands.

• 1 month later...
Guest fluffcat1
Anybody know of any new updates from Orange yet?

Last I got was RUU_v2.2OrangeUK_v5.31.1.162.ship.exe - although I can't find it on orange's site. Google the file name and it should show up, or checkout the ftp section of xda-developers.com.

Richard

I've just flashed the WM5 rom (ILLEGAL ROM NAME REMOVED - Please do not discuss or provide location details of illegal roms)

Was shocked by how simple it was to do, I've never tried flashing roms, cause I figured they would be too techinically dificult to install.

Must say that I'm very impressed by WM5, got a nice wi-fi conection to my PC, got my music streaming of my harddrive into WMP10! Pure class!

Was also supprised by how little WM5 slows the system down, I thought that it might be more of a spec-hog than WM2003-SE, but aparently not. Runs smooth as silk on my XDAIIs

Loving it!

From what I've heard Windows Mobile 5 only offers subtle improvements and an evolution of Windows Mobile (integrated wifi will be nice) but until there is an official rom released for the Blue Angel I won't touch it with a barge pole and would recommend against anyone else doing so.

Remember folks, the rules say no discussion of illegal roms and the Blue Angel Windows Mobile 5 rom is definately that. It breaks far more features then Windows Mobile 5 introduces! (yes, I'm aware patches are helping)

Subtle changes make all the difference. The new Office Mobile suite is a good improvement, especially graph function for excel and the new Powerpoint Mobile is useful too. The added native support for GPS is also a bonus. Contacts are now better. The intergration of media is great!

(Sorry for adding the name, I forgot that I wasn't supposed to...)

The new Office Mobile suite is a good improvement, especially graph function for excel a

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it usable? I found the existing version to be crippled beyond all usefulness. Any documents you sync have the unsupported bits removed from them. Essentially, this destroys any Excel and Word documents you open on the phone. Once the info is gone, it's lost forever. It's fine for viewing, but editing documents on the phone is a dangerous game that is just not worth it!

In order to use the phone as a data storage device for these documents, I've just turned the ActiveSync format converter off for them. At least I can carry the document and access it via the ActiveSync "sync directory" feature on different PCs. Just have to remember to never never ever save them on the phone. I always kill the process rather than closing via "ok" to be sure.

I haven't had any problems with docs. I'm running activesync 4 with the converters turned off. Office Mobile doesn't support .pxl or .pwd anymore, it now saves in native .xls and .doc format, I find that it offers far better support like that. Especially the being able to open .ppt files and run them normally, without any conversion.

Guest inspectorgadjet

I'm running the i-Mate ROM on my PDA2k. I have a weird side effect though. It seems that after using GPRS once, it gets somehow disabled and I have to restart the phone to use it again. Anyone know how to get around this?

I'm running the i-Mate ROM on my PDA2k. I have a weird side effect though. It seems that after using GPRS once, it gets somehow disabled and I have to restart the phone to use it again. Anyone know how to get around this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange. I've not had this problem on my MDA III running the I-Mate rom on T-Mobile network. Are you on Orange? Just that I've heard of this problem on other Orange devices such as the SPV M500 and older Smartphones.

I haven't had any problems with docs. I'm running activesync 4 with the converters turned off. Office Mobile doesn't support .pxl or .pwd anymore, it now saves in native .xls and .doc format, I find that it offers far better support like that. Especially the being able to open .ppt files and run them normally, without any conversion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, sounds a lot better. I've found it's the Excel chart destroying that annoys me the most. I understand that displaying them might be out, but to actually strip out the original data on saving? ugh!!

Guest inspectorgadjet

I am using it on T-Mobile with the i-Mate ROM. I'm hoping the Orange SPV M5000 will be out soon and then I am going to cancel my T-Mobile and stick solely to Orange again.

I am using it on T-Mobile with the i-Mate ROM. I'm hoping the Orange SPV M5000 will be out soon and then I am going to cancel my T-Mobile and stick solely to Orange again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I often think I'd like to go back to Orange (if nothing else there support in providing rom updates puts T-Mobile in the shade) but not an option unless I move somewhere with an Orange signal.

On the topic of the problem with GPRS, disconnecting and not reconnecting until a soft reset, could it be any of the software you've got installed or something in the settings? Strange that we're both running the same rom on the same network yet not having the same problem. Did you make any changes to the I-Mate extended rom?

Guest inspectorgadjet

I installed the rom as is. I didn't change anything. I've not installed much software a couple of games and TomTom 5. But other than that it's all standard. I did drop it a short while back and left some nice dents and scratches, but that shouldn't be causing the problem.

• 1 month later...
Guest Pondrew
I think no-one has picked it up yet as I can't find trace of it in the forum but O2 UK has released a new ROM for the BA, XdaIIs.

I installed it - seems to be all right. Big improvements:

O2 Active UI v3.6.024 -well, seems to be more stable than previous versions

Bluetooth build 3900

Radio build 1.12

Windows mobile CE version 1.40

BlackBerry Connect v2.0

Removal of Photo Contacts

AND AND AND.... are you ready?

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 10! I am not joking. I've got it on my BA.

Strange O2 does not list WMP10 in the features of the new ROM.

Download it from http://www.my-xda.com/

You'll need your O2 number and IMEI to accessd the software upgarde section of the site.

Enjoy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Pondrew

For those who haven't heard yet, the latest Blue Angel rom available (newer then the O2 one mentioned above) is a new T-Mobile Germany MDA III update. The details of the new rom are as follows:

Rom Version: 1.42.00 WWE

Rom Date: 05/09/05

Radio Version 1.13.00

Protocol version 1337.42

ExtROM verson 1.42.115 WWE

Bluetooth version 1 build 3900

with the latest build version of Wm2003SE seen on a Blue Angel to date:

4.21.1088 Build 15159.2.6.4

And no I'm not running it yet. Why? Well apart from it being for German MDA IIIs I'm not willing to lose my mms/mms vids, even if it would be nice if my MDA III once more thought it was an MDA III ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Cingular Siemens SX66, and here is my version:

ROM version: 1.20.10 WWE

ROM date: 10/08/04

Radio version: 1.02.10

Protocol version: 1337.35

ExtROM version 1.20.115 WWE

I think WWE stands for World Wide Edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a Cingular Siemens SX66, and here is my version:

ROM version: 1.20.10 WWE

ROM date: 10/08/04

Protocol version: 1337.35

ExtROM version 1.20.115 WWE

I think WWE stands for World Wide Edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too have a Cingular siemens sx66 my version is:

ROM version: 1.33.10 WWE

ROM date: 01/21/05

Protocal version: 1337.35

ExtROM version: 1.33.110 WWE

Guest Pondrew

T-Mobile UK have released the latest rom. The only difference to the T-Mobile Netherlands MDA III rom is in the extended rom version (presumably just regionalised rather then any real changes).

Rom Version: 1.42.00 WWE

Rom Date: 05/09/05

Radio Version 1.13.00

Protocol version 1337.42

ExtROM verson 1.42.112 WWE

Bluetooth version 1 build 3900

Wm2003SE version 4.21.1088 Build 15159.2.6.4

• 3 months later...
Guest MikeSel

ROM version: 1.42.00 WWE

ROM date: 09/05/05

Radio version: 1.13.00

Protocol version: 1337.42

ExtROM version 1.42.112 WWE

Bluetooth: <--- No idea where to get this from..