T-Mobile Germany unveils MDA IV

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Just spotted this article on InfoSync. Seems T-Mobile Germany have revealed the latest in the line of MDA Pocket PC phones...

Pic taken from InfoSync's article:

t_mobile_mda_iv_03.jpg

First to include WCDMA-based 3G, the Windows Mobile-powered MDA IV boasts an integrated thumbboard, a swiveling VGA display and much more.

Offering a glimpse of things to come, the German division of mobile network operator T-Mobile today unveiled the latest addition to its venerable line of Windows Mobile based communicators, the MDA IV. Following in the vein of its powerful predecessor, the MDA III, the MDA IV offers not only GSM, GPRS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but also adds support for WCDMA-based 3G.

A tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz, the MDA IV features one less band than its quad-band predecessor, but more than compensates for the fact by becoming the very first UMTS compatible communicator based on the Windows Mobile platform. Furthermore, the MDA IV is also the first communicator to sport a VGA display with a resolution of 480 x 640 pixels, and will be powered by a 520 MHz Intel XScale processor.

There are yet more firsts, however, as the MDA IV will also include not one but two integrated cameras, as well as a unique swiveling screen concept as seen in the now-discontinued line of CLIE handhelds from Sony and Sharp's Zaurus units. Courtesy of the newfound landscape support of Windows Mobile, the device can either be used laptop-style with both its screen and integrated thumbboard accessible, or tablet-style with only its screen accessible.

Scheduled for availability in the summer of 2005, a T-Mobile spokesperson confirmed the MDA IV will feature either Windows Mobile 2003 SE or a later version of the Windows Mobile platform. Further details concerning the pricing of the device were not announced.

Original article here:

T-Mobile unveils feature-packed MDA IV

Guest Pondrew

Agreed. And must say that I'm not yet convinced by the MDA IVs style. Then again, I really disliked the look of the Blue Angel when I first saw it and now it's 'my precious'!

Guest Chaser81

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I only just got my Jam!!!

I want THAT one!!!!!

Is this the mysterious device Paul has been playing with which he wasnt allowed to comment on?

Guest TheMadScot

I gotta say that the MDA IV is looking a bit, well... ugly. The styling appears to be reminiscent of a 1970's take on what mobile communications might look like "in the future"; white casing, black keyboard, curvy display... I don't think this thing would have looked out of place on an episode of Battlestar Galactica (original) or Buck Rodgers.

Does anyone know if this is indeed an HTC manufactured device?

Guest beersoft

ok, i need this phone yesterday

it has all the things im looking for, camshell, 3g, not looking like a brick ala mpx, a cpu faster than my wristwatch and some ram to play with :D

later

Owen

Nice, like the look of that.

Mind you, it does seem to come out of no-where, most things seem to have much more in the way of rumours before they're announced.

On the MPX front, will it ever be released...................

Darn.. I reminds me of that Motorola Flip-keyboard-thing which was evrywhere 4 years ago..

Forget about the keyboard, kill the clam-shell (once and for all), design something in c500 size with one big screen instead of keyboard and use it horizontal instead of vertical, and I´m on.

Otherwise I´ll wait for the XDA IIs to show up with UMTS.

/J

Guest someone

Another picture of the MDA IV: post-1091-1107430525_thumb.jpg

T-Mobile MDA IV alias XDA 4 : processor XScale 624 MHz, UMTS (3G) + 4-band GSM, VGA display (not 320x240 as before but 640x480 as in current top models of non-phone Pocket PC devices), release date: first half of 2005.

Edited by someone

Guest DylJones

Haven't seen this asked above so....

Anyone know the res of the cameras??? I think this has been the most disappointing thing for MDA's in the last few versions. All major phone manufacturers have popped up to 1 - 1.3 megapixel (Sony, Nokia, Moto...) so why not HTC?

I REALLY hope that at least ONE of the two cams built in is megapixel...

Guest Pondrew
Another picture of the MDA IV: post-1091-1107430525_thumb.jpg

T-Mobile MDA IV alias XDA 4 : processor XScale 624 MHz, UMTS (3G) + 4-band GSM, VGA display (not 320x240 as before but 640x480 as in current top models of non-phone Pocket PC devices), release date: first half of 2005.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's something wrong with my eyes... isn't that the same picture?!

Errr... and the article says its using a 520mhz processor. I remember that Msmobiles.com suggested a while ago that it was going to be 624 but I don't think so... everyone said the XDAIIi was going to be 624mhz and it too is 520mhz. Of course, the spec could change but I'd say 520mhz sounds more believeable for the moment...

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew
Haven't seen this asked above so....

Anyone know the res of the cameras??? I think this has been the most disappointing thing for MDA's in the last few versions. All major phone manufacturers have popped up to 1 - 1.3 megapixel (Sony, Nokia, Moto...) so why not HTC?

I REALLY hope that at least ONE of the two cams built in is megapixel...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it's got at least 1x 1.3megapixel same as the XDA IIi. In fact, aside from form factor and 3g there's not a whole lot of difference between this and that (feel free to point out what I'm missing!).

Guest someone
There's something wrong with my eyes... isn't that the same picture?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope it isn't, the first one is a Shopped one. There's no screen pixel interference (light and dark curves) with the pixels of the CCD chip on the camera with which this picture was made. There are no shadows too.

hmm this lets me think of "find the 10 differences" :D

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.