PPCProfiles Pro

Guest bretto

Guest bretto
Hello! I was just reading this thread to find info on the ringtone location problem and read 10pages only to find it two posts from the end! DOH!

I have the same problem as justme611. PPC profiles is pointing at the correct ringtone and location but when i push the call button>tools>options the ring tone is set to the standard windows one. I can set it back to the tone i want again and the next time my phone rings it's with the correct time, the time after that however it seems to revert to the default windows one?!

Thanks again bretto, i'm going to give the new version a blast! (i'm still on v2.01c)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mike-oh

I think Ive got the fix for this and will get it uploaded asap. Please let me know if you need anything changed or incorporated in the new version.

Do you think we should get a revision history posted somewhere to make finding info on this type of things easier?

Guest bolasz
I'll try to clean up those few issues and get another copy to you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks very much, i had go, see below what I found.

This is strange. Ive checked and double checked on a few different versions of wm200x and different devices and cannot reproduce it. The only thing that might be causing this is that Ive updated my development system. I'll recompile with the older version and upload a copy of that for you if you dont mind testing against your device.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No good news on that one, check out the attached pics, it affects every page of the app. What I found though that I can use the Ok button on any subpage of settings, only using it on the main settings page makes the radio buttons & tick boxes disappear.

-In one of the profiles (unfortunately I can't tell you in which one because I renamed them) in settings/notifications/reminders if you tick flash lights the other checkboxes get cleared. Not immediately, after saving the settings and going back. If lI eave flash lights unticked the other settings for the reminders are saved.

This is getting strange now. I found that reminder settings only get cleared if both repeat and flash lights are ticked but only at 2 out of the 5 profiles...

Could spb pocket plus with its repeating alarms option be also interfering?

-if I want to switch with auto templates to a profile that's set to turn on flight mode, the switch happens, flight mode is turned on but I get an error notification saying that "Can not execute PPCProfilesAuto". I don't know whether the error message has anything to do with flight mode I just wrote it down, this is how it happened.

This is working flawless with the "sp3" version.

Obviously this does happen when you choose not to have a pin assigned to the sim.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean when you do assign a pin?

Yes and no. I have had different icons per profile incorporated in the tray application since day one but have disabled them.

The main reason is that wm200x cannot load icons from disk efficiently so the icons must be part of the compiled program. Also the tray will only accept icons and not bitmaps. And not very high resolution icons at that.

This presents several problems. The simplest probably is which icon to associate to which profile etc, etc. What I have been playing with is to load a bitmap from disk and convert it to an icon. Then use the icon as per the user settings. Not an easy feat really but looks like the best option

Another way is to create a dll full of icons which the user could select from. This is much, much easier.

I have heard that you can create a program to insert icons into the tray app at specific hex addresses but I really want to steer clear of this. When you start inserting alien bytes into an app I just think you are bound to cause instability somewhere along the line.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I guess your right. Also everybody would want to have different icons...

What do you think about the auto switch template? Is it user friendly enough?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like it, it does not contain anything less or anything more that's needed.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback and suggestions I appreciate you taking the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most welcome mate, the pleasure is mine! :)

In the mean time I hope the app is working ok for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the mean time it serves very well! :D

screen.zip

Edited by bolasz

Guest bretto

Hi bolasz

thanks for checking that version out for me.

No good news on that one, check out the attached pics, it affects every page of the app. What I found though that I can use the Ok button on any subpage of settings, only using it on the main settings page makes the radio buttons & tick boxes disappear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK I'll keep at it to see what I can find. The screen shots certainly show that this is the case but reproducing it is proving to be difficult.

This is getting strange now. I found that reminder settings only get cleared if both repeat and flash lights are ticked but only at 2 out of the 5 profiles...

Could spb pocket plus with its repeating alarms option be also interfering?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If spb pocket plus is changing the same registry settings of the notification as ppcprofiles-pro is then yes there could be a conflict there.

What the profile app does is basically edit the registry based on your preferences. Then when the devices standard application runs it reads the registry settings and does whatever it should using the settings we have provided.

Take the reminders for example. in the registry there are a couple of settings that can be modified for the notification.

wave and options. There are others but at the moment we dont control them.

the wave key holds the name of the sound file eg: alarm2.wav

the options key stores a number which signifies the checkboxes selected.

So ppcp-pro would insert the value 1073741855 in options if all the checkboxes had been selected when you setup the notification in the profile. Thats all we do.

PPCProfiles-Pro doesnt take control of any part of the device except at the actual time of selecting a profile.

You mean when you do assign a pin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry yes if you have a pin assigned to the sim you get asked for the number. If not you dont. But that is up to the security of the sim and I have to try to find a way around it.

Guest fraser

Been using the latest version for a few days myself on the M2000, no problems found though I haven't messed around with the settings to any great extent. Nice update.

Guest bronksy

hey People..

This is really a great program, been using it for months and just abot to potter about with the new version...

Can you just explain though what the Outlook thing sync is for.. I am confused as to why I would need this if I use Activesync..

On another note..

I think you folks need to watch out for adding so many customisations and switches that you will start to loose useability of the software..

It's not just about trying to add as many things as possible all the time, I would hate to see this great piece of software become difficult to interact with.

Remember that useability and the interface are just as important as a feature set.

Guest bretto

Hi bronsky

Can you just explain though what the Outlook thing sync is for.. I am confused as to why I would need this if I use Activesync..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Auto sync in this case is simply the ability for PPCProfile-Pro to switch to a designated profile (Auto) when pocket outlook starts a busy type of appointment and switch back to the previously used profile when the appointment ends. You can use activesync to synchronise your calendar between your desktop PC and your pocketpc.

The version you are using now has an auto profile to the far right. All that has really changed is that that space on the screen has been freed up to use as another profile and a new smaller button has been added to allow the auto sync to be activated. I think it is actually less confusing to use now.

On another note..

I think you folks need to watch out for adding so many customisations and switches that you will start to loose useability of the software..

It's not just about trying to add as many things as possible all the time, I would hate to see this great piece of software become difficult to interact with.

Remember that useability and the interface are just as important as a feature set.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. I keep this in mind every time I make a modification.

Thanks for the feedback.

Guest fraser
Hi bronsky

Auto sync in this case is simply the ability for PPCProfile-Pro to switch to a designated profile (Auto) when pocket outlook starts a busy type of appointment

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, it's the "show time as: busy" thing you are keying on for the actual "should I be in that profile" test then? Haven't played around with that aspect enough to figure it out myself! Does the today plugin show that the sync profile is in effect (as opposed to being active but off)?

Guest bronksy

Cheers for the help. Now either I'm being thick or I'm missing something, but where is the Bluetooth setting thingie?

I have looked.. but I just cannot find it captain!

Guest bretto
So, it's the "show time as: busy" thing you are keying on for the actual "should I be in that profile" test then? Haven't played around with that aspect enough to figure it out myself! Does the today plugin show that the sync profile is in effect (as opposed to being active but off)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct. Setting the appointment as busy can trigger the auto sync.

When you have auto sync turned on the icon on the far right is brighter. This is when you are auto sync-ing but not in an appointment.

When the switch is made at the start of an appointment the icon on the left changes from the "P" to and outlook style icon. When then end of the appointment is reached the icon changes back to the "P".

Hope this helps.

Guest bretto
Cheers for the help. Now either I'm being thick or I'm missing something, but where is the Bluetooth setting thingie?

I have looked.. but I just cannot find it captain!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the moment PPCProfiles-Pro will only provide support for the Microsoft bluetooth stack. The app checks to see if the device is using the MS stack and if not removes the bluetooth options.

Chances are your device uses the broadcom(widcomm) bluetooth software which I would love to incorporate.

BTW the wm2005 MS bluetooth software is prett good compared to the wm2003(se) ms bluetooth software.

If you know of anyone who would like to create a dll to plug into PPCProfile-Pro to provide support for the widcomm software please let me know.

Guest justme611

Hi Bretto,

just tried version 3 beta, and it's really great. The only bug I found so far, is that speaker symbol changes from white to red after selecting the buttons for icon display. And ringtone location setting doesn't work as was in v 2.01c.

Greetz

Just

Guest bretto
I guess there is no way of using the MS BT stack instead?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is but I believe the widcomm bt stack is better under wm2003se than the MS one.

The only bummer is that I cant support the better stack with PPCProfile-Pro at the moment. :)

Guest bretto
Hi Bretto,

just tried version 3 beta, and it's really great. The only bug I found so far, is that speaker symbol changes from white to red after selecting the buttons for icon display. And ringtone location setting doesn't work as was in v 2.01c.

Greetz

Just

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Just

Thanks for the feedback. There are a couple of faults that I know about (what do they say in the industry...known issues :) ) I'll get a new beta with the fixes up in a couple of days to address them.

Do you mean the speaker icon at the top of the device near the time? Thats interesting...

Guest bretto
1. When I assign a "Ringtone Location" other than \Windows\Rings\  the defined ringtones aren't used. Instead I hear a standard ringtone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Just

Ive been taking a look and trying to figure out whats going on with the ringtone location.

I know there is a problem as I have experienced it myself on wm2005 (god only knows what steps I took to experience it) but on wm2003se I can only reproduce it by doing the following.

1. have the default ringtone location set up in PPCProfiles-Pro (\windows\rings)

2. assign ringtones that are only in that directory.

3. change the ringtone location to something else (\Storage Card) that does not contain the previously setup sound files.

Now I get the default windows ringtone.

This makes sense though as wm2003se is looking in a specific place for the ringtone and we know its not there as we just changed the location.

However if i change the ringtone to something thats on the list AFTER changing the ringtone location I get the correct ringtone.

Also if I have a ringtone thats located in say \Windows I always get the correct ringtone no matter what the ringtone location is set to. This also makes sense as its part of the search path.

Could you please confirm if you are doing the same as me or if there is something else involved.

EDIT: Under wm2005 with the above scenario only the ringtones in the selected directory are played. Not the others in the search path. This is different to the wm2003 and wm2003se devices Ive tested on. As this might also be a new "feature" of later wm2003se ROMs I will look for a work around.

Thanks

Edited by bretto

Guest justme611
Do you mean the speaker icon at the top of the device near the time? Thats interesting...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the speaker icon changes from white to red. It always happens, when I setup "selection options" e. g. to "icon buttons" or "text buttons" after clicking "OK".

When I tap speaker icon and change to "off", I have a white "speaker off" icon. When I click once more and change back to "on", I have a red "speaker on" icon. Icon returns to white after warm reset.

Greetz

Just

Guest justme611

Hi Bretto,

Ive been taking a look and trying to figure out whats going on with the ringtone location.

I know there is a problem as I have experienced it myself on wm2005 (god only knows what steps I took to experience it) but on wm2003se I can only reproduce it by doing the following.

1. have the default ringtone location set up in PPCProfiles-Pro (\windows\rings)

2. assign ringtones that are only in that directory.

3. change the ringtone location to something else (\Storage Card) that does not contain the previously setup sound files.

Now I get the default windows ringtone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it's the same with me.

This makes sense though as wm2003se is looking in a specific place for the ringtone and we know its not there as we just changed the location.

However if i change the ringtone to something thats on the list AFTER changing the ringtone location I get the correct ringtone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did it this way round, and now it works. Solution is in changing setup for ringtone location in correct sequence.

Many thanks again.

Greetz

Just

Guest bretto

Hi All

Just uploaded a new beta in the "Latest Release" post. It contains the following. Feel free to check it out and let me know if you have any problems.

Version: V3.00a beta2

Bugfix to stop setting auto switch trigger when enabled with no days selected.

Added ability to store and automatically use SIM PIN when turning off flight mode.

Added ability to display profile names over buttons

Added ability to set text-over-button text alignment

Sped up the vibrate speed of "vibrate" and "vibrate and ring" ring types

Added ability to retain profile settings of previous installations.

Edited by bretto

Guest fraser
If you know of anyone who would like to create a dll to plug into PPCProfile-Pro to provide support for the widcomm software please let me know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there not a simple executable you can call with flags/arguments that will interface with the BT? You only need to turn it on/off, right? Shouldn't be too difficult I'd imagine; my phone already has software outside to the the main BT menu that can turn it on and off externally.

Guest bretto
Is there not a simple executable you can call with flags/arguments that will interface with the BT? You only need to turn it on/off, right? Shouldn't be too difficult I'd imagine; my phone already has software outside to the the main BT menu that can turn it on and off externally.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there is I would like to know more about it because yes then I can use it. But from what I can understand and find out there are function calls in the widcomm dll that need to be called to setup everything.

Ive tried tweaking the registry to see if that will turn it on/off/discoverable but to no avail. I also tried to use the function calls in the dll but still no luck. I think we need to get our hands on the sdk from broadcom unfortunately.

More info is need for sure.