m2000 and sat nav

Guest p1tse

Guest dazultra2000

If what you mean is having a wired GPS reciever plugged into the PDA as you walk around, I don't see why not, providing the reciever you have uses an internal battery, because I doubt it'd run for very long off the PDA.

Otherwise it's the same as it being in your car.

Guest dazultra2000

Okay, my kit just turned up, nice piece of gear it is too!

The GPS reciever is tiny! A little smaller than a bar of soap!

Aaaanyway, to answer any previous questions:

The kit, as I though, does indeed have 3 connectors. One for the connector on the bottom of your PDA, one for a power source (i.e. cigarette lighter adapter) and one for charging/connecting your reciever, be it bluetooth OR wired.

So mine is all connected up and looks the business...however, there's a snag.

I appear to have it all connected properly through bluetooth. GPS output is selected in the bluetooth manager and connected, and under GPS properties, I have selected TomTom Wireless GPS on Bluetooth Serial Port COM6, and on the status page it displays "GPS Time" and the moving dots...

yet it refuses to pick up any GPS signals - have I missed something?

Guest p1tse

so i guess you can't just have a tomtom wired gps on the pocket pc and walk around with it, cos it needs power.

so it's either bluetooth or i've thought of something else...

is there a sat nav jacket for these?

Guest dazultra2000
so i guess you can't just have a tomtom wired gps on the pocket pc and walk around with it, cos it needs power.

so it's either bluetooth or i've thought of something else...

is there a sat nav jacket for these?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure - I think some of the wired recievers have internal power supplies, or can run off the phone's battery.

There is no satnav jacket for the M2000 (can't see it would work with the keyboard)

Why not just spend a little more and get bluetooth? at least then it's portable, wirefree, and compatible with your next phone when that time comes around (providing it's bluetooth)

Furthermore, using it as a walking GPS device isn't going to be of much use methinks, as the software is all designed to work with road maps, and isn't really detailed enough for walking.

Edited by dazultra2000

Guest fraser
Furthermore, using it as a walking GPS device isn't going to be of much use methinks, as the software is all designed to work with road maps, and isn't really detailed enough for walking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I take it with TomTom, you can use the maps without GPS? I used to use Mapopolis on the Smartphone and I found it really useful for locating pubs in Glasgow. We have a few very long streets with a lot of pubs on them, and they change often. Find the address on Yell or NightB4, and bob's your uncle, a night of drunkeness in some strange new boozer is on the cards. I'm interested in TomTom, but not it's it's only for route planning and driving. I want to be able just to use it as a 2D map, scroll around, search etc. A pub guide would be nice, along with food!

When walking, just look at a street sign, key it in, and you have your "you are here" thing. That's how I did it with Mapopolis. So long as you can read a map, it's easy.

Guest dazultra2000

Yeah you can use it without the GPS - but I really, REALLY don't see the point in that, as a map pack costs about £50ish....might as well just buy an actual map!

And the maps are detailed down to most average sized house-roads, but the level of detail consists of the shape and name, and that's about it.

You may find the occasional POI in towns or cities such as cash machines, but levels of detail in these areas are limited as there aren't many vehicle roads in them anyway!

I have found that if cars can't go there, the map can't either!

• 1 month later...
Guest Pee_14

I have read the topic in great detail, as I need to set up Sat nav on my M2000

Unfortunatley, I still cant make sense of it.

I assume I need..

1 GPS Reciever

2 Software/Maps

3 Memory Card

I have been looking on ebay, and I have no idea what is compatible and what isnt.

I think TomTom sounds the way to go.. Would someone be kind enough to post me a link to an example of what I need on ebay|

the 3 way cradle sounds Ideal for me also, but I dont know which reciever is compatible with it?

Sorry to sound dumb, but any help would be apreciated.

Guest Pee_14
I have read the topic in great detail, as I need to set up Sat nav on my M2000

Unfortunatley, I still cant make sense of it.

I assume I need..

1 GPS Reciever

2 Software/Maps

3 Memory Card

I have been looking on ebay, and I have no idea what is compatible and what isnt.

I think TomTom sounds the way to go..  Would someone be kind enough to post me a link to an example of what I need on ebay|

the 3 way cradle sounds Ideal for me also, but I dont know which reciever is compatible with it?

Sorry to sound dumb, but any help would be apreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to add would this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...5770267080&rd=1 do the trick?

Guest Carnivor

I just got meself a SDIO GPS GlobalSat SD501

IT ROXXXXXORS

way better reception on it, even indoors.

with no external power prob around 2.5hrs continuous useage.

working with tomtom and gps dash.

the only semi downer on it is the m2000 sd slot is upside down, but it justifies it to the positive side of things by not having to unfold the antenna, so its even smaller,

you just cant see the LED underneath, wow, seeing as you can check gps status so easily actually using the m2000 software, a poxy little LED is the last of my worries

Guest Carnivor

oh yer, forgot to mention the other downer,

no sd card for your maps, but the 32mb internal storage is ample enough for the smaller regional tomtom maps

Guest tetstb

Can someone clarify if when using a bluetooth GPS, can you still use a bluetooth headset or car-kit and is there any way to have the TomTom audio come through the car kit ?

Cheers

Bob

Guest nigidivitch

Satnav on the Blue Angel is exceptionally cool!! I'm running Navigator on an MDA3 with a wired tomtom receiver and it not only works really well (especially with the speed camera locations installed on it - from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-poi-alerts.php), but it also looks seriously cool and impresses people all the time despite my shitty car!! It's routes are very good, and it works things out pretty quick (although when I used it to navigate me through the Lake District in a minibus it didn't pick the right size roads too well!!!)

The only real annoyance is that it has a tendency to crash quite a lot (somewhat ironic with it being navigation software), and it's not too easy to reset the phone and start up Navigator again whilst driving!! This could be because my SD card is too big for the phone to really cope with though (1gb)?

Anyway, go for it, it kicks arse!!

Guest bruceybonus

tomtom nav 3 does work fine with the M2000, mine is working perfectly....wired version...

The cable for powering both the m2000 and the wired tomtom gps unit is about 15 quid on ebay...

the only thing i found is you neeed to move the slider in settings slightly towards programs to give it a little more memory, and turn off recieve infrared beams otherwise it wont see the gps unit...

from there on in it's plain sailing....

tomtom needs to be registered for it to work, so dont buy a copy, plus youll get free upgrades..., best also to have a min 256mb SD card...

go on. splash out, its the cheapest way to get a fully working portable sat nav system.. 8)

Guest Pee_14

forgive me. but tomtom does NOT have to be registered for it to work, I have been using (for testing purposes only of course) a copied version for a few weeks now.. works perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pan366e

Hia, just bought a GPS reciever from ebay (a Fuzion Cube) and i'm having probs having my SPV M2000 finding its GPS location.... (where it is now?)

Any ideas?

Help.... pls..... :roll:

Guest the_evertonian

If an in-car solution is what you want, but you already use bluetooth for hands-free, then this is what I suggest:

Get a powered GPS cradle/mount like the Arkon CM845 (available on ebay for around £90), then all you'll need is software, maps and the SD card.

Basically, the mount has a USB data/charging cable, which fits into the M2000 data slot, and a GPS receiver, all powered via the cigarette lighter socket. Even better - the mount has a built-in speaker with its own volume control which you plug into your M2000 headphone socket.

I've got mine running with TomTom 2, and it's works fine.