Mini Mac Vs PC

Guest confused and hungover

Guest confused and hungover

Morning.

i've been looking at the new mini mac since it was released a few months back... a guy i work with has one and i held it in my hand, it's beautiful.

they're not too expensive and you can get it with whatever specs you need but at the end of the day, it's a mac.

i don't have any experience with Mac's at all, never actually used one, wouldn't know what OS X was if it bit me on the arse... i need some advice here please, would i be making a mistake to get a mini mac? should i just get a new PC instead?

:shock:

Guest Gorskar

I'm quite tempted to get one and set it up as a media centre.

theres 6 Mac minis at work, and they are tiny!

Mac OS X is the ultimate n00b operating system - easier than windows to learn by a long way.

Only real problem with macs are

a) cost - Mac mini is cheap in comparison so this is addressed

:D software - esspecially for gamers, only a limited selection compared with PCs.

c) upgradability - some upgrades are only supposed to be performed at apple approved service centres, and they dont make it easy to do stuff yourself.

I'd say it depends what you want to use it for. If its gaming then stear clear. Other uses though the mac might do you nicely and look great too...

Guest scottishdave

A word of warning regarding the mini. Does anybody remember the G4 cube and what happened to it? Loads of hype and then it died on its ass.

As nice as the Mac mini is you would be better off (if you can afford it) buying a G5 or even a top of the range Imac. They hold there value very, very well indead. Although I do agree at £2500 for a G5 there is a little bit of a price difference.

Software is easy to come by nowadays, there is a good selection of programs that will allow you to do anything on your mac that you can do on a PC You can even run a PC on your Mac if you feel like it.

Games are an issue, however if you want to play games buy yourself a Playstation or an Xbox.

If you want to sync your smartphone with OSX then you need to purchase something like PocketMac which cost about £18.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend getting a mac.

If you do and you need any help or advice PM me.