My Video Card Broke :(

Guest James

Guest James

My video card has decided to give up on me ;)

Nvidia Quadro4 900XGL

its been a bit on and off for a few weeks now..... now its really F**ked.

NOT a cheap replacement ;)

post-2777-1116582793_thumb.jpg

Anyone had anything like this fixed before? its not in warranty. or will it become a VERY expensive paperweight. :P

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadro4xgl.html

Prices here:-

http://www.dealclick.co.uk/brand/Compaq/graphic-cards.php

Oh god! VERY expensive paperweight!

My GeForce 4 died a week after warrenty expired, Im sure these things have timers on them ;)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Any idea what exactly is wrong with it? Lots of apsects can affect something like a graphics card, heat, power etc...

Guest James

it was freezing the screen.... then flickering off then on again.... then freezing the screen again..... in a loop untill the computer shut down or froze completly.

i was also geting a weird overlay of messed up colours over the screen.

Guest James
Oh god! VERY expensive paperweight!

My GeForce 4 died a week after warrenty expired, Im sure these things have timers on them ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gutted! ;)

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I've seen all manner of screen corruptions / lockups caused by overheating GFX cards. Has the fan packed up on it? It it making any odd noises?

It may be worth replacing the HSF, cheaper than a new CAD based gfx card!

Guest mupwangle

You 100% sure it is out of warranty? (I have the facility to check HP/Compaq warranty information)

To be honest I've not really heard of graphics cards being repaired, like ever. (from a company POV as it is usually uneconomical)

Are you definate that it is the card and not the machine? Have you tried another card to check?

Edited by mupwangle

Guest James

have tried an identicle card and its fine.... also tried the card in another PC with the same results.

The fan is fine... and when it was starting to go wrong, it only happenen when it was cold (first thing in th morning)

Guest mupwangle

Not that this will help at all, but someone here's asked if you turn your machine on and off a lot. If so then that might be causing the issue - these cards are designed to run constantly and turning them off a lot could cause odd problems due to the expansion of the card.

He's not heard of them being repaired either. (He's an engineer for HP)Sorry.