Objet : [HHP] ARM cache, addition

Hi,

I found this function:

/* StrongARM clock switching */

/* To allow the core to run at full speed, the StrongARM needs

*"clock-switching" enabled. See SA-110 Technical Reference Manual,

* Section 8, and section 5.2.11.

*/

__inline void saClockSwitch(bool enable)

{

unsigned long dummy;

if (enable) {

__asm { MCR P15, 0, dummy, c15, c1, 2; }

} else {

__asm { MCR P15, 0, dummy, c15, c2, 2; }

}

}

Does it mean that memcpy uses clock switching and that is why it is so

fast? But it means as well that memcpy is not battery fiendly!

And could somebody describe what is TLB?

--

Best regards,

Dmitry Yakimov.

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

[email protected]

Madukrinian,

you have nothing to worry about.

The term overclocking for our device is wrong - we do not intend to run it at 160 or 180mhz but at the processors default speed which is 133mhz.

Sure it will probably fry up your device if you put it on 200mhz but should run fine on 133mhz, although it will consume about 15% battery life more than now (hopefully) -

It's possible, and i also got that from a confirmed source

:wink:

Eran

Well, I guess we are all a bit confused on *overclocking* term since we are trying to overclock it to 133 from 84 right? And yes I agree that o/c is supposed to mean running it faster than 133, but this post was mainly to do with getting it up to speed of 133 with the help of an *overclocking* utility... So I cannot be sure what Paul meant in his post..

Guest Paul [MVP]

I am very interested to know who your confirmed source is Eran! Have they actually tried it?

DON'T expect to see the SPV running at anywhere near 133 Mhz :)

P

Paul, nope i haven't seen it but ive spoken to a few companies (including jimmysoftware) and was notified that it can be done.

It could do some serious damage if not tested or overclocked too much but i believe it might be a possibilty,

we should wait and see florin's future firmwares

Eran

"]Eh? What question did I not answer? I'm not keeping any secrets?

P

Paul [MVP] wrote:

A *very* reliable contact told me that running the phone overclocked made it fall over almost immediately, so that isn't actually very likely

- Overclocked meaning more than 84 or 132 (or whatever it is supposed to be)?

- What implications are there re advertising it at higher frequency -> knowingly it is not possible??

^^^ Erm.. Those questions.

On the other side - you did kinda answer the first question by saying:

DON'T expect to see the SPV running at anywhere near 133 Mhz

But what's up with advertising it as being 133 (and why is it not? and even if it is - it is still not...) :)

And what do officials say about this misleading fact if they say anything at all?

And really if it is actually a 133Mhz processor, what's wrong with making it run at full speed?

Thanks.

Who's side are you on?? Let's be fair and agree that it was quite a point of discussion when we first discovered that it did not run at advertised speed of 133Mhz!! And if I remember correctly you were one of the first people to check that urself!

Unfortunately, and I've tried searching for it, I could not find it anywhere on the web - even though one of the sites had that info recently it has just been removed (wonder why?). And it was on one of those 'Why not listen to ******* instead of 30min rush hour' bigboard posters methinks. And we just all know it was. It just seems that all the tracks have been removed...

Guest spacemonkey

Had a look at DjHope's technical manual. Looks like the chip (that's all the manual tells you about) can be instructed to run in various modes (asynchronus, synchronus, fast bus) but that the actual clock speed isn't set on chip. It recieves 2 clock frequencies from the socket. This means that overclocking won't be achieved by some generic instruction to the ARM processor but through the smartphone BIOS.

Anyone got good technical docs of how the SPVs BIOS/chipset works?

Paul is being very mystereous about overclocking and he's also boardering on working against us. OK Microsoft, what have you done with the real Paul while he was in Redmond? :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

Hey, don't pick on me :)

Here's the deal...

I spoke to someone in Redmond (who I can't name), who actively tried to get the SPV running at a faster speed.

The bottom line he told me was that it was running at 84MHz, cos that is the only speed it is stable.

P