...Where Angels Fear To Tread!

Guest Sp00k

Guest Sp00k

...Where Angels Fear To Tread!

I feel that there are people out there in smartphone-land to whom the majority of us (manufacturers included), owe an immense debt of gratitude. They're the unsung heros of our time who 'boldly go where no man (or woman) has gone before'. They not only provide the rest of us with a valuable service but they willingly pay, sometimes very dearly, to provide us with that same service, I feel that they should be given the recognition that they so richly deserve...

The people I am talking about, are of course, those truly courageous folk... *The Early Adopters*

With scarcely a thought for their own sanity and peace of mind, these brave souls, on hearing of a new 'toy', immediately do their best to obtain it, in an attempt to be 'the first on the block' with the latest gizmo... totally disregarding the fact that a more reliable, updated version of the item will probably be obtainable at half the price within the next few months, if they shop around.

Not only are they in many cases, the beta-testers that the rest of us rely on but they are unpaid beta-testers... In fact, doubtless to the delight of the manufacturers and distributors, they actually *pay* for the privilege of beta-testing the products on their behalf. What company could possibly ask for a more compliant customer than one who is willing to pay to test the product out and report back on any faults found?

These Early Adopter-types can be readily identified by phrases such as... " Wow! That's real sweet, can't wait to get my hands on one."... or, " Just been in XYZ shop, they don't have it in stock yet but they're expecting them to arrive on Monday, so I've placed my order, I should get one of the first ones!"... and similar excited posted announcements during the run-up to the release of the current latest gadget to the general public.

Unfortunately, some of their ilk may also later be identified by rather less enthusiastic postings, such as... " Damn, only had it three weeks and the 'back' button doesn't work any more, the shop says I've got to return it to the manufacturer but I can't get them to issue an REM number!" or perhaps... "As it's only x-weeks old, should I be entitled to a new one or will I have to accept a reconditioned one as a replacement?"... And various other utterances, in some cases followed by the object of such dissatisfaction appearing on Ebay in 'boxed, as new, hardly used' condition...

In summary... They provide a valuable and worthwhile service to the rest of us and should be loudly applauded for their efforts on our behalf... Early Adopters, I salute you!

Sp00k...