rom update versions:

operator: 8.2.1.10

manufacturer: 1.0.1.12

microsoft: 4.21.15159.0

file system 4.21.15159.0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dido

Guest brainier

Same for me and sync still not working, though I did get seven tracks on today before it failed, which is more than yesterday

Guest pd.ryder

Chaps, I've got the same rom etc but I haven't had the problem with drag-n-drop. I managed to get a whole album onto the card (about 80Mb) with no hang or failure.

I'll have a go with WMP later this evening and post the results.

Guest pd.ryder

Chaps, I've got the same rom etc but I haven't had the problem with drag-n-drop. I managed to get a whole album onto the card (about 80Mb) with no hang or failure.

OK this is definatelty a usb issue. I setup activesync over BT and there was no problem transfering files, Im going back to Orange.

pd.ryder thanks for the headsup, it was a theory as to why some of us had problems and not others. We can rule out pc hardware/software as I have tried 4 different pc setups and 2 different USB sync leads, so this is defiantely a phone problem.

Guest pd.ryder

The site wouldn't let me post so I've had a go with WMP - same result as you lot I'm afraid. I've managed the odd track or two, but that's it. I used to have sync problems with my old E200 as well - everything would disconnect after about 10 tracks or so and I'd have to unplug the E200 and reconnect it - "no device detected" etc.

Even worse - I tried to delete the aborted files to be told off by the PC for file sharing violations!! I've had to reboot everything just to get rid of one & a half tracks. I'm in the process of dragging-n-dropping the same album in without any problem (so far...)

Interestingly, WMP had attempted to create a folder of it's own within called and had also tried to copy the mp3's to the folder I'd highlighted Storage Card>My Documents>My Music so tracks were appearing in both folders simultaneously. Weird! That's probably why I had file sharing violations?

Well, that's all 16 tracks straight in without hanging once. I've got no album art, of course and no conversion to piddley sized WMA's but I prefer to use PocketMusic anyway and I like larger mp3's too. Even WMA's at 64kb sound shite :)

The joy of new tech, eh :shock:

If you want album art just copy it from your pc folders, I copied my WMP music folders straight to the SD card and the album art works perfectly.

If I could copy DRM licences in the same way I could live without the WMP10 sync!!

Guest pd.ryder

NX5

All my music is ripped to mp3 using iTunes so its all DRM free. I can share it with who I like, as many times as I like on as many devices as I like without all the hassel. Most af my albums don't have art attached, although some do and I've never worked out why - nothing has been ripped with WMP, ever!

I've noticed the music symbol on the media keys only serves to pause/play tracks and won't DO anything else. I expected it might open the Library directly, but no, that would be too convenient wouldn't it. No 'on-the-fly' playlists either as far as I can tell, no fading in/out, no removal of silences, volume equalising..... It's all there in PocketMusic and it's got WMA support now (although selecting WMA in the file association list stops you using WMA's as ringtones)

Cheers, Paul

OK, miracle cure for file transfer, reboot the handset and dont use WMP10 sync.

Im on the phone to O now.

File transfer started working after I BTed files. I connected via usb and hey presto, file tranfer worked. I then tried WMP and no show, also file transfer didnt work. File transfer would only work after reboot.

O have now said that they are aware of driver issue with WMP10 on the PC which identifies the C550 but thinks its a C500. We have to wait for Microsoft to release an update or Orange to release a patch. O apologise for the inconvenience!!!!!!

Mark

Guest pd.ryder

Typical, init! WMP that won't work with WMP - arrrrgh!

The album I pasted had art attached but it's a no-show on WMP. Back to Pocket Music :)

Guest morpheus2702

Pretty much echoing what everyone else has said before - starts the sync, hanged 24% of the way into the first song (3% of total) then says it can't see the C550.

For info: Version 4.21.1088 (build 15159.2.6.4)

But hey, drag and drop is far less convoluted...

Guest adamkandel
OK, miracle cure for file transfer, reboot the handset and dont use WMP10 sync.

Im on the phone to O now.

File transfer started working after I BTed files. I connected via usb and hey presto, file tranfer worked. I then tried WMP and no show, also file transfer didnt work. File transfer would only work after reboot.

O have now said that they are aware of driver issue with WMP10 on the PC which identifies the C550 but thinks its a C500. We have to wait for Microsoft to release an update or Orange to release a patch. O apologise for the inconvenience!!!!!!

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't someone say this before about the c550 getting recognised as the c500? ... oh, it was me :)!

Guest pd.ryder

My call to OCS was met with 'blank stares' and an eventual "we don't support this issue" :D

Fingers crossed someone within the mysterious 'level 2' know what their on about :)

Guest drhigham
yeah and they did rush it out :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been having the same problem also. I got a reply today from O, they say:

"This issue is currently under investigation by Microsoft, manufacturers of the SPV operating system. At present we do not have a resolution.

As a work-around files can be transferred to the handset manually using the explore device options within ActiveSync."

So fingers crossed. Anyone heard anything else?

• 1 month later...

I got my new C550 last week and have been pulling hair out with this problem over the weekend. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything further from MS or Orange on this.

The last post on this thread is dated 28th July, so I'd like to believe that something has been done :roll:

If Orange are doing a patch, are they likely to release it to existing owners, or just add it to new phones? Where can I get the latest Orange patches anyway?

What I did find was:

1. It will allow copy & paste, but won't copy the album art if you do this :(

2. I can sync 1 or 2 files, then it'll freeze. If I then reboot both the phone and the pc, then it'll sync another one, and so on. The ones I have managed to sync so far do display the album art :o

3. If you sync and it freezes, then you can't copy & paste anything afterwards. Repeat step 2.

If you want album art just copy it from your pc folders, I copied my WMP music folders straight to the SD card and the album art works perfectly.
How do you do this? I coped a whole album folder over, but didn't get the art?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.

Guest didsburylad

I only got my SPv C550 at the weekend and part of the reason was for the music facility.

I have not been able to get WMP to sync by the normal means however I have found a way around it.

I have connected the phone to my pc and then done a search for music on the pc.

Having found what i wanted I copied multiple files and then using the "my computer" window navigated to the storage card on the smartphone where I pasted the files I wanted.

They transferred with absolutely no problem after a couple of VERY frustrating days using WMP 10 on my pc and attempting a sync.

I now have a couple of albumns on the phone and am very happy :o

Oh - first post by the way!

Guest pd.ryder

Welcome to the forum :o

Your work-a-round seems to echo what others have done too. I can't figure out how album art transfers.

Incidentally, I've just had an email from PocketMind of PocketMusic fame:

Dear Paul,

We’ve added support for C550 to PocketMusic (with new skin similar to PocketMusic for Pocket PC!), but we still can not release it because we also added some more features including Audible books support; and there is a tech problem with this feature, so we’re additionally cooperating with Audible to solve the problem. We hope to complete the version soon! J

Best regards,

Ann Braun,

PocketMind

http://www.pocketmind.com

Fingers crossed that this is released SOON.

Guest paul1664

The trouble is I want to use WMP to play protected files from Napster and *i think * you HAVE to use WMP10 to sync. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong!

All I wanna do is play legit music!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally got around to signing up so I can tell you my workaround for this problem which allows you to use WMP 10 to sync (therefore with licences), but it transfers very slowly.

1. First, don't have any other pocket pc/smartphone plugged in as this will randomly stop the transfer.

2. Connect to activesync via bluetooth.

3. When the sync has completed and the phone stays connected via bluetooth, plug in the USB cable as well.

4. Open WMP and enjoy syncing.

That's it. I'm guessing it's transfering via bluetooth but the insertion of the USB cable adds the phone's storage areas to WMP.