C550 bug list

Guest Techno

Guest Techno

Not really feature gripes, more for actual bugs for the phone.

1. When composing an MMS message and go to capture photo. The default res is 640 x 480 and cannot be changed when going to Menu->Options->Modes. To send a picture of 320 x 240 or smaller you have to use the Camera application and then import the picture into the MMS composer.

2. Also when composing an MMS message and you are selecting the recipient, it does not pick up any other number for that contact apart from the default texting number. Composing normal text message picks up all numbers.

Guest Pagemakers

Clicking on text links to images on some websites (msmobiles) saves to image to the phone and opens it up in the album app, whereas the C500 would simply open the image in IE.

Guest Pagemakers

I guess so, but it makes browsing a pain because the images are saved to your phone and viewed through the album. Then you need to clean the images off your phone. If you elect not to "save" the image, you can't view it.

Guest Pagemakers

Battery Life Issues:

In power management settings there is an option for "Display Timeout" (It is a known problem on the C550 that even with this option set to "never" the screen does turn so dim it is unreadable after the time which is set by the "Backlight Timeout Option"). However, with the "Display Timeout" option set to "never" on the C550 the battery drains at a rate of 10% per hour giving your phone a battery life of approx 10 hours!!!!

Turn the "Display Timeout" to anything other than "never" and your C550 battery will be almost as good as the C500's.

Guest Pondrew

@Pagemakers: Just checked on an SPV C500 and that option is there too and I'm pretty certain the battery life would be similarly affected. Don't see that this can be classed as a bug...

Guest Pagemakers

Pondrew I'm sorry I Disagree....

Just for info, I have 2 C500's here and if you keep the screen on there is virtually no difference in the battery discharge time between display on and display off.

As an example, my C500 ran in a test the other day (Re the poor battery topic in this forum) with the display on (not the backlight) from midnight and at 7pm the following day (19 hours) and the battery was still on a full 4 bars while the C550 had turned off due to battery drain.

I have had my C500 since day 1 and I have always had the display timeout option set to 'never' and my phone lasts for several days (and I also have GPRS permanently connected with email polling every 30 mins, 24 hours a day). This option on the C550 (without the GPRS connected and email polling) runs the battery completely down in 10 hours.

One hell of a BIG difference.

Guest Pondrew

Yeah, I take it back per your post here.

All the devices I've used suck power when the screen (as opposed to the backlight) is left on but as I've never used a C500 day to day (have got access to one but thats not the same) I'll put my hands up and say I could be wrong! :)

C550 will not sync with WMP10 on windows XP. Orange have said that the problem is due to WMP10 recognising the phone as a C550 but trying to transfer to a C500.

If you try to sync music using WMP10 it will fail and you wont be able to transfer anythin over 100kb until you reboot the phone.

Orange and Microsoft are working on this issue and it will be fixed via an update to WMP10 or a patch from Orange..

Guest SilentlyScreaming
1. When composing an MMS message and go to capture photo. The default res is 640 x 480 and cannot be changed when going to Menu->Options->Modes. To send a picture of 320 x 240 or smaller you have to use the Camera application and then import the picture into the MMS composer.

Just got a C550, and noticed the following...

Goto Configurations, MMS Settings, last option.

Havne't tried yet, still setting things up, but it looks like you can cross Bug #1 off your list now :>

Guest incognitolad

A little bug I noticed this evening...

If you send a text with more than about 3-4 people in the "To:" field you will get a "Message cannot be sent" message but it still sends anyway. Very strange. Had people complaining that they recieved the same message of me twice because of it.

Guest pd.ryder

Ref "Bug#2" - you can send an SMS to landline numbers these days (a nice lady from BT reads the txt to you!) but MMS only go to mobiles/SMS numbers. Another one to cross off?

Guest SilentlyScreaming

re. PD.Ryder "Bug #2" - not really, as you can easily have 2 mobile numbers for one person... I have friends who have 'work' mobiles, and in the evening, switch to their own personal one...

when asigining the photo to a contact using the caller photo id program, the "play ringtone" option is enabled by defuly, and still plays the ring tone even if the phone is on silent.

Guest Pagemakers

SMS Bug

Compose an SMS and include more than 1 recipient. The sms does send but a failure message is generated saying "your sms could not be sent".

Guest Gears
...and I'm not sure if everybody in the list receives the sms or just the first person.

Testing this last night, the first person ONLY got the SMS. However trying it this morning, everyone got the SMS but I still got the error message. Hit 'n miss a-go-go...

Guest spgster

Here's a good one..

Set up a reminder.

Lock keypad (Quicklist|3)

Wait for reminder

When the remider goes off, you are given the option of "Dismiss" or "Options" as per normal. But, you can only click "Dismiss". If you activate the "Options" menu, you get the options but cannot select any of them as the key pad is lokked, also, you cannot unock the keypad because the "Unlock" option is hidden by the reminder!!!

Therefore, a looked keypad means you may only dismiss the reminder.

I have also seen this when I have the music player running. You cannot unlock the keypad to stop the music!!!!

Great phone otherwise though.

Steve

Guest neilfenstein

That reminder problem happens with alarms and reminder on the C500! I have to remember to take keylock off when I go to bed or I cant snooze it!!

Guest bitbank

The C550 has a GAPI bug. The bug is that by default the system returns a video size of 176x220 and a fake VRAM pointer (which gets copied to the display at GXEndDisplay()). This is the same as the behavior of the VGA Pocket PCs to allow older apps to work properly. This is supposed to be overridden when the "HI_RES_AWARE" flag is included in the resources. This flag has no effect on the C550. The ESCAPE for GetRawFrameBuffer does work, so the display can be accessed as 240x320.

Larry Bank