Worth installing WM5 on C500?

Guest TheBoff

Guest TheBoff

I have "found" a copy of the WM5 image with associated guides and tools for installing onto a non-wm5 phone.

My 2 questions are:

1. Is it worth taking the risk and will it break any of the current features of the phone? (Softkeys, Camera + Volume buttons, App compbatibility)

2. What are the potential benefits of the upgraded OS?

I found it a while ago and have been holding off in case I bugger something up on the phone. I've only got about a month left on my contract so hoping to upgrade to a C550 then anyway.

Thaks in advance

Boff

er if you have "found" WM5.. then NO do NOT install

if you are an MVP/MS Partner then you can install it from the links given/software sent.

if you install the illegal copy (TUT!) then you will risk damaging your phone and the phone will not be replaced by orange/HTC and instead will charge you because of illegal installation of a product that they do not officially support.

Advantage of installing a newer OS is the same as the PC... newer = better faster and more support for future technology

Edited by Tech

Guest TheBoff

Thanks for the reply, I am aware of the risks (hence my post) and potential problems with Orange if things go wrong or even when it's time to part ex my phone. That's why I'm trying to find out what the actual benefits would be to decide if they outweigh the risks.

I am well aware of the supposed advantages of a new OS in general (I've worked in IT for the past 7 years) but that usually comes at the cost of more demanding system requirements and 'features' you may or may not need!

Firstly the C500 was never designed for WM5 (and vice versa) so I can't see any hardware driver improvements. (E.g. more camera settings, improved phone signal etc.)

I would have thought it would have the opposite effect if anything.

Basically, would the benefits be mainly cosmetic? And is anyone actually using WM5 on the C500 (legit copy or otherwise).

Thanks again for replying

well it was actually designed to be installed on C500 as a "base" device.... :o

the advantage is that you'll be able to have more benefits of future technology.

More support for developing and using SQL Mobile Edition (awesome!)

Bluetooth stack has been added for easily accessible for developing

It's just much nicer imo, not that there is anythin wrong with WM2003! :(

you love it or hate ... like marmite as the saying goes :lol:

Guest Pondrew

Tech is spot on in his first post. As for differences, wait until there is a Windows Mobile 5 rom released and then start the discussion.

Until then, sorry folks, the rules are clear on no discussion of illegal roms. Topic locked.