New Orange Developers Site - Unlock Over The Air!

Guest wirefree90

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Nothing yet regarding a relock, 2 Mozilla based requests and one IE.

You can bet it'll come through right when i cant get to a PC...

:lol:

Guest rossy

Monolithix - do you think it might be something to do with that you had previously unlocked your phone by editing the XML files..... if the new unlock does this in a different way, then the re-lock will probably try to reverse it..... which may therefore mean incompatibility if trying to re-lock after decerting the old way.

Hope you can understand all that..... I know what im talking about.... promise :roll:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yep perfectly, i assumed it was due to the fact my phone is now in Manager "mode", it may compare security permissions as per ROM version to decide how to proceed with de-certifying it. As my permissions do not match the default UK1 settings it probably gets confused and fails.

No big deal really...

:lol:

Guest dearsina

I just unlocked it quite sucessfully. I have recently upgraded the OS, but I had not unlocked it manually before. And considering I just shelled out 70 squid for a 256MB SD card it's like getting a new phone all over again. Sam & Max, here I come!

sina

london

Guest Gorskar

Excellent move!

Does this method require a hard reset?

Does it change the security policy in the ROM, so that even after a hard reset it is still decertified?

Guest dearsina

Only requires a few seconds of GPRS/WAP time. Will work after hard reset. "Was this the same Orange we bought our phones from?!"

sina

london

I often see negative comments about Orange, many of them justified. But I do think that they have earned a few "brownie points" back with this one. It is so simple that it is scary !!!

Thanks Orange and thanks to members of this Forum that have contributed to the pressure on Orange to be a bit more realistic.

Steve B

Guest benjymous
I hope you all read the agreement, if your not a developer, and start banging on Orange's door eith all your new apps Orange reserve the right  to relock your phone.

It's a hazy subject.

I'm sure you could just say "I didn't develop the software, but I'm beta testing it" - testing is a vital part of the development process of software, so there's no way Orange can complain about that

Guest davidhorn

Can anyone give me an example of what the phone number should look like? I gave it +447971667237 but it didn't like it.

Am I making an obvious mistake?

Guest mdawkins

I have filled in the details twice now on the Orange developers site and still no message to say my phone has been unlocked, I have tried filling in my phone number details without +44 and with +44 (without the leading 0), anybody have any suggestions as to why it hasn't worked?

WOW :shock:

Definitely impressed by such move... Now I can see how O would benefit from this, but that's another point. My questions really are:

- Does it stay UNlocked after hard reset (seen a very vague answer to that in this thread)?

- What are the chances that site will be there in some time still allowing easy (unverified dev-r) unlock?

Vin: Editing the XML files won't cause your phone to be relocked - they are only looked at during the first boot after a hard reset (I believe). To relock your phone, you will need to perform a hard reset - or use the new, "official" O method - but only if you're gonna develop an app of course :lol:

On another note - submitted my phone number, IMEI several time over the last 4 or so hours and not had a single text message through! No fair - I want my official unlock! :cry:

Hax

Guest v1nn1e

Is it advised to do this unlock process on a phone that is already cert unlocked? Or should you first hard reset the phone to get the cert lock back in the phone and then do this new method of unlock?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

If your phone is already de-certed you don't really need to worry about the Orange method until your next hard reset :lol:

Guest v1nn1e

Yeah but the fact that this way is the correct way it should be done is a very appealing idea in contrast to the hacking method! :wink:

There could be some advantages in unlocking the correct orange way. Or maybe not :?

Guest midnight

are orange just mentioning the 'for developers only' thing just to cover their backs if a non-developer unlocks and messes up their phone in some way (no matter how unlikely)????

Guest Richie M

So how does this actually de-cert the phone? And are they any advantages to it compared to the "hack" way?

Don't suppose if anyone knows if this will work for our Danish friends?