Have C550 owners been duped?

Guest davejerome

Guest kurtfhouse
:D  Oh God, I hope not. Then we'd have to talk them through it :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:( :lol: :P :D Thats funny................beacuse its true

Edited by kurtfhouse

Guest roma0803

So is it correct to say there's hardly any software available for a QVGA Smartphone? I ordered an i-mate SP5m recently so am curious about what works and what doesn't work. Apart from the fact that my i-mate will be a WM5 phone...

Guest defect
:o

I love my C550... and i have tomtom working fine, except a little bit of funny text. me and ash (awarner) just had to mess around with the reg for an hour or so :/

such a shame about all the other apps that dont work properly :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have mine 550 for a few months now and I'm quite dissapointed. I totally agree with TS.

Very few apps run normal on the phone, every app I run crashes often and the fact that I should 'downgrade' the phone to run TT5 just doesn't make sense. Why did I bought a QVGA in the first place then?

Guest davejerome

I was just wondering as somebody mentioned an upgrade for the C550, was it originally designed for WM5 then? As it has a QVGA screen and a silly ammount of memory?

Or is it just built by HTC as a WM5 compatible device?

Anybody know that one?

Guest PPCPassion
I was just wondering as somebody mentioned an upgrade for the C550, was it originally designed for WM5 then? As it has a QVGA screen and a silly ammount of memory?

Or is it just built by HTC as a WM5 compatible device?

Anybody know that one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope I am wrong but I very much doubt that WM5 upgrade will be offered by Orange since SPV C600 with WM5 is ready to be launched. I personally would not like to install WM5 for one main reason-Memory. Starting with WM5, all the programs can ONLY be loaded/installed in ROM. RAM will be strictly for running the program. Most of the devices will have more rom (128mb atleast) to accomodate more installable programs. With C550, considering 64MB ROM, after installing OS, you won't have much space left to install the programs unless of course you install them on Mini SD card. As you know, some programs have to be installed in the phone's memory that could be a disadvantage if you have limited space to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

Guest Pondrew
I hope I am wrong but I very much doubt that WM5 upgrade will be offered by Orange since SPV C600 with WM5 is ready to be launched. I personally would not like to install WM5 for one main reason-Memory. Starting with WM5, all the programs can ONLY be loaded/installed in ROM. RAM will be strictly for running the program. Most of the devices will have more rom (128mb atleast) to accomodate more installable programs. With C550, considering 64MB ROM, after installing OS, you won't have much space left to install the programs unless of course you install them on Mini SD card. As you know, some programs have to be installed in the phone's memory that could be a disadvantage if you have limited space to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good explanation. Had been wondering how the memory worked in WM5 to justify the doubling of ROM seen in upcoming Pocket PC Phone devices...

Guest PPCPassion
Good explanation. Had been wondering how the memory worked in WM5 to justify the doubling of ROM seen in upcoming Pocket PC Phone devices...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Pondrew for your kind words. Sometime we all (including myself) rush to get the "newer and updated" version without first trying to figure it if it would work on our device. I truly believe in saying," Newer is not always better" :o

• 2 weeks later...
I personally would not like to install WM5 for one main reason-Memory. Starting with WM5, all the programs can ONLY be loaded/installed in ROM. RAM will be strictly for running the program. Most of the devices will have more rom (128mb atleast) to accomodate more installable programs. With C550, considering 64MB ROM, after installing OS, you won't have much space left to install the programs unless of course you install them on Mini SD card. As you know, some programs have to be installed in the phone's memory that could be a disadvantage if you have limited space to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you describe is only new for PPCs. On the Smartphone all programs are always installed in ROM and not RAM (since Smartphone 2002). With WM5 the PPC platform got the same memory configuration the Smartphone platform always had.

Edited by tw

Guest PPCPassion
What you describe is only new for PPCs. On the Smartphone all programs are always installed in ROM and not RAM (since Smartphone 2002). With WM5 the PPC platform got the same memory configuration the Smartphone platform always had.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct. However, in PPC, regardless of RAM, you have an option to allocate amt of memory to run programs and to store date. In SP that option is not there. First of all I am not sure if SP has been storing data in ROM, if that was the case, why would all the programs get deleted (during hard reset)that were installed in the internal memory? Also, have you noticed the amt of available memory to run programs changes when you install any progrms to internal memory? What I know and have read, MS OS (until 2003 SE atleast) automatically adjust the memory for "optimal" stability of the device. This may change with WM5. I don't have WM5 device, so can't be 100% sure.

Correct. However, in PPC, regardless of RAM, you have an option to allocate amt of memory to run programs and to store date.

That was before WM5. In WM5 you cannot control it anylonger.

In SP that option is not there.
Yes, as I said the SP platform had always the memory config the PPC platform got with WM5 now.

First of all I am not sure if SP has been storing data in ROM, if that was the case, why would all the programs get deleted (during hard reset)that were installed in the internal memory?

Because the hardreset procedure deletes the flash ROM on SP. BTW, the same happens now with WM5 on the PPC.

Also, have you noticed the amt of available memory to run programs changes when you install any progrms to internal memory? What I know and have read, MS OS (until 2003 SE atleast) automatically adjust the memory for "optimal" stability of the device.
As I wrote the automatically memory adjustment existed only on the PPC until 2003SE. On SP you install your programs always in the \Storage folder and \Storage is in flash.

If you still do not believe me you can either read the MSDN developer documentation ;) or you can take out the battery of your SP for a day. If you plug it back in all your data and installed programm still will be there --> because it is in Flash.

This may change with WM5. I don't have WM5 device, so can't be 100% sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have WM5 PPC and SP devices and the PPC now has the same memory config the SP always had though there is no \Storage folder.

Edited by tw

tbh, the c550 is a great phone, and its always been a while before developers can utilise the new feautres of phones.

the QVGA screen plays videos that are immense quality, and tbh i love the way the device is for the cheap price of £150.

i got a decent, skinnable interface and a good media player. i can also play gb roms, and a lot of other things.

yer so wat, its a bit smaller on the screen, but once the QVGA screen is utilised, its gonna be sweet.

WM5 is gonna be like vista to xp, a GUI upgrade and a few extras.

it wont stop the QVGA software from looking good. ;)

Edited by MiG:uK

Guest davejerome
WM5 is gonna be like vista to xp, a GUI upgrade and a few extras.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely vista will be more than that. I heard it was heavily built around security.... ...give it 48 hours till cracks appear.

Guest Tommy24

I bought my SPV550 here in Holland 3 months ago...and asked in the Orange-shop...is TomTom compatible with the type smartphone...because I explained that I own the software an GPS yet. (from an other Qtek)

They just told me that it would work right away..!!

So yeah..I`m pritty sure I`m F#c*ed....!

cheers

Tommy

Guest PPCPassion
If you still do not believe me you can either read the MSDN developer documentation ;) or you can take out the battery of your SP for a day. If you plug it back in all your data and installed programm still will be there --> because it is in Flash.

I have WM5 PPC and SP devices and the PPC now has the same memory config the SP always had though there is no \Storage folder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do beleive you and it makes sense once you mentioned about taking the battery out. I was wrong and I do appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

Since you are using WM5 OS, what benefits/enhancements have you experienced over WM2003SE OS? I know most of us (including me) want to get on WM5 bandwagon but would like to get as much info as possible prior to buying SP w/WM5.

Thanks

• 7 months later...
Guest sporkguy

When I used to work for Orange, I went on the 'Christmas Academy' held in London by Orange in some fancy photography studio last October

During the Microsoft/SPV Session, the little asian guy who didnt tell us exactly who he was said that "WM5 is in the pipeline for the C550" bu then he also said "The C600 is more than likely to contain WiFi in the final model" (I also got to play with a version of the C600 with Wifi in it - and it was buggy as hell at that stage!)

To be honest I think the guy was full of crap, as he also mentioned a version of WM5 for the M500. So perhaps it IS possible for the device to run it - but ONLY the SPECIFIC version built for it.

That means: DONT TRY AND FLASH ANY OLD VERSION ON IT!!

• 3 months later...

I believe the C550 would be able to run WM5 just fine. The reason? Motorola mpx200 is like 5 times weaker, but manages to handle WM5. Just a matter of time till we se WM5 on our C550's :D

Guest awarner (MVP)

The MPX200 does not handle WM5 that well and you have to use the storage card etc to even run the OS, it was only tested on the MPX200 to see what the minimum spec would operate like.

It is unlikely we will ever see WM5 on the C550 as the OS would have to be specifically written for the device and MS would be unlikely to bother spending the time to do this with an outdated device.

Guest randomelements

The SPV 550 WILL run WM5 but Orange chose to stop their development on a WM5 ROM for it (it's the OEM that builds the ROM not MS)

I can't find the link at the moment but the MS Windows Mobile site states that older devices CANNOT be upgraded due to hardware changes but if you consider that the HTC Douton (http://www.smartphonehistory.com/specs.php?UID=23) is identical to the Hurricane except for the processor then this excuse is just a cop out.

Orange discontinued the C550 so will not develop a new ROM for a phone they no longer support. Even before they discontinued it they stated that a ROM would not come out for it.

From what I recall, you could install one of the development ROMs that were floating around the darker side of the web but obviously the hardware buttons etc. didn't have drivers so there was little point.

The fact that I couldn't upgrade was one of the main reasons that I decided to get a new phone and, seeing as O wouldn't give me a good deal, jumpred to TMob.

Guest awarner (MVP)

I have not said it would not run, I only said it will not be released.

The Douton is a completely different device. As with the MPX200 the Typhoon varient of WM5 was only made as an experiment and not as a retail solution.

While Orange modify the ROM to their own settings MS are still needed to enable the core OS to run with specific hardware.