Spv M1500

Guest rctempire

Guest rctempire

The Orange Spv m1500. I can say is it some piece of kit, but in overall functionalily(me being a student) is pretty dam good.

Im way ahead of all my counter parts with the motorollas etc. I was pretty ahead with my spv c500, but i seem to like the m1500 at the moment, but i also hate it!

Its a nice phone outside of the leather case provided by orange, but as soon as you put it in a case you might aswell say "Hey Mr Chav/Robber, come steal my brand new phone". The size of the phone is well ridiculous. Measuring in at over 13cm(130mm), its massive. The operation of the phone is not exactly great either, as it takes two hands to do anything, and when making a phone call it looks like a really really big 3G phone your holding up to your ear.

I like the functionallity of the phone with word and such like, but its onboard keyboard is slightly offputting as frankly i want to text quickly, and using slang is pretty important for students who wish to use "u" and "hey how r u?", which the predictive text both using the stylus and onboard keyboard is pretty good at not working with slang. I really dislike the awkward menus this phone/brick/object imposes to the user. It took me at least 20 mins of playing to figure out how to make a phone call, and even discover how to work my way around the phone menus in general.

I really like the phone, but the battery is well, not that good at all, it loves to drain the complete phone batter in one days use, which i find pretty poor, as i want my phone to last a lot longer than that(and i thought the SPV c500 was bad with 3 days battery life). The PDAness of this phone is great, but its still larger than my dads GPRS/PDA, which i find very poor from HTC. My dads is a GPRS/PDA but has no phone, but it still manages to be smaller and well, useable, very unlike the m1500.

Also when making a phone call you keep hitting the camera button during a call, which is a real pain as you want to hang up then well leave the phone alone once it is on lock. But oh no, you have to exit the camera and any other program you accidently tap while on the phone which is very annoying.

The camera is 1.3MegaPixels, which i find excellent, and i love the camera as it fits the massive screen very well. This bouns is a reason for this phone to be great, but its bulky-ness of the phone really lets it down.

The confusing menus are pretty confusing to work at first, but it gets easier as you learn how to use this phone/pda/brick.

You will notice im calling it a brick quite a lot, its well because it is! I must stress that this phone is massive. Imagine the SPV m2000, its not as large as that, but its pretty close(when the keypad is concealed). Its quite a bit of bulk in a pocket, and can be spotted a mile away from any junior thief or professional.

It seems to attract a lot of attention from people in the street, which can be a bouns, but on the other hand its difficult to text people while on the move, which is a real shame for the phone to be two hand oriented. If you like to whip out a phone and text rapidly then put it away, or just a quick phone call, then the m1500 certainly isnt for you as it is rather confusing and pretty poor at being a phone in general.

If you want a proper phone with all the functionallties(i refer to this very lighty, as you cant have a small touch screen phone((at the moment)).)

The Windows Media player is a good little tool, and the sound quality on the head phones are excellent, this makes another bonus, but dont be fooled(you cant have your phone on silent and use the WMP at the same time(like i do on my SPV c500), you have to adjust the sounds on the phone to full to experience the sound, then as soon as you want to stop using the WMP, turn the WMP off and the sound all the way down. This is pretty bad especially when say im in a corridor or going into class and i want to just stop and pull the headphones out, as the phone remains in "Loud mode" thus making it possible for me to get into trouble if my phone goes off in class.

In an overview(albeing a pretty basic overview) i find the HTC Orange SPV m1500, very advanced as a PDA/Phone, but in features its top notch, but on real phone capabilities its very poor, but its backed up by the awkward useage of the phone in writing messages/emails/notes, as it constantly requires two handed operations which is a real downfall if you wish to make fast short texts a real problem.

Hope this helps some people in that showing this phone is good if your a business man, but not as a "Joe Bloggs" or as a "Student". Its just to big for pocketablilty which is real downfall as HTC could have made it smaller and more usable like the m500.

Sadly it looks like i will send this phone back to wait till the SPV c600 is released(hopefully this month, October).

Rctempire

Guest Pondrew

Sounds like your first Pocket PC Phone. Am I right? If so, what you describe with regards menu system/ease of use one handed, etc, is typical of all of them. Even the HTC Magician (SPV M500) isn't that easy to use one handed and that's quite a bit smaller.

A good balanced review even if it does sound like you were never going to get on with a Pocket PC Phone. If you think the M1500 is huge you should see the M2000 and M5000!

So folks, if you want a phone with pda features this probably isn't gonna be it. But if you want the power and flexibility of a Pocket PC but with phone features then they really don't come better featured then this (although I wanna know why we can't have it with WM5?!).

Guest rctempire
Sounds like your first Pocket PC Phone. Am I right? If so, what you describe with regards menu system/ease of use one handed, etc, is typical of all of them. Even the HTC Magician (SPV M500) isn't that easy to use one handed and that's quite a bit smaller.

A good balanced review even if it does sound like you were never going to get on with a Pocket PC Phone. If you think the M1500 is huge you should see the M2000 and M5000!

So folks, if you want a phone with pda features this probably isn't gonna be it. But if you want the power and flexibility of a Pocket PC but with phone features then they really don't come better featured then this (although I wanna know why we can't have it with WM5?!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sure is my first pocket pc. My spv c500 being my first smartphone. Ohh i held the m2000 and it was very large even without the keyboard slid in.

I really do like the functions of the phone/pda, but its size just isnt practical for a student who talks on it for 200 mins and at least 300+ texts a month the keyboard is what lets it down mostly for me. The text recogintion requires really neat writing and normally it doesnt put in the word you wrote anyway.

Its packed with amazing features, and i may actually write a proper report with pictures of the 1.3 Mega Pixel camera to show you what its like. But as a phone its not that practical as its rather large.

Also WM5 - well its been anticipated so much, i think MS are shunning it and waiting for a 4th Gen of phones to be established before commiting it to PC phones.