How To Setup Tomtom 5 On K-jam

Guest thereaperman

Guest thereaperman

here are 3 key steps in making TomTom 5 work on an i-mate K-JAM with a Bluetooth GPS.

STEP 1 : INSTALL TOMTOM5

You do this by copying the CAB files from the CDROM (eg F:\PocketPC) to the K-JAM and launch one by one from there with the explorer of the K-JAM

You can install voices the same manner by copying the CAB files to the K-JAM (eg from F:\Voice on the CDROM)

STEP 2 : UPGRADE TO V5.1

EDIT: Please use the tomtom official site to obtain the update here

STEP 3 : ACTIVATE THE GPS CONTROL PANEL

Fire up a registry editor (eg http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/phmregistryeditor.shtml )

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings

Delete the DWORD marked "hide"

Add a DWORD called "Group" and give it the value of "2" (dec)

The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings.

STEP 4 : INSTALL TOMTOM5

1. Establish a bond with your GPS and select the checkbox for serial access.

2. In BT, select the OUTGOING port to 6.

3. In the GPS control panel, select the GPS program to 0 and make sure that the hardware one, is set to None.

4. Start TT5 and the GPS settings, select another bluetooth GPS, and you will see COM 0 free. Select COM 0 and close TT5.

5. At the GPS control panel again, now select COM 6 (before we set it up at 0).

6. At BT: select OUTGOING port to 0.

7. Back again to GPS control panel and select NONE.

8. Finally start TT5 and it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected.

Edited by thereaperman

Guest Pondrew
no problem, maybe someone can make it a sticky??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wish granted 8)

...although had to make some minor alterations to comply with forum rules :o

Guest JimDerDog
...congrats!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dumb question maybe - I have just changed from SPV C500 to Qtek 9100 and have tomtom mobile 5 for my old C500 - can I run this on Qtek or do I need to buy a different version of tomtom for this new toy? Is it possible to upgrade if so, or do I need to buy the whole thing again?

Help appreciated

JimDerDog

Guest thereaperman

from what i know you can run some of the smartphone software on the wm05 phones, the only way to find out is to try it ;), i read somewhere that someone got it working but can not find the url at the mo

Guest knownothing
here are 3 key steps in making TomTom 5 work on an i-mate K-JAM with a Bluetooth GPS.

You do this by copying the CAB files from the CDROM (eg F:\PocketPC) to the K-JAM and launch one by one from there with the explorer of the K-JAM

You can install voices the same manner by copying the CAB files to the K-JAM (eg from F:\Voice on the CDROM)

Fire up a registry editor (eg http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/phmregistryeditor.shtml )

3. In the GPS control panel, select the GPS program to 0 and make sure that the hardware one, is set to None.

4. Start TT5 and the GPS settings, select another bluetooth GPS, and you will see COM 0 free. Select COM 0 and close TT5.

8. Finally start TT5 and it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I have a QTEK 9100 and tomtom Navigator 5, I have tried following your instructions but some things seem to be different

I have copied over all the files from the supplied SD card onto my Mini SD card and tried to launch the start app (the one with the tomtom symbol) this flashes up a tomtom screen but then does nothing.

I downloaded the 5.1 update from tomtom but it keeps crashing when i try and run it?

"STEP 3 : ACTIVATE THE GPS CONTROL PANEL"

how do i do this??

The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings

"Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings" i can find this through the reg editor but not the rest, all i have when i click on "GPS settings" is something called Redirect?

any ideas? maybe i will have to wait for tomtom to release an update, but if you have any ideas the will be appreciated

Thanks

Guest thereaperman
Hi, I have a QTEK 9100 and tomtom Navigator 5, I have tried following your instructions but some things seem to be different

I have copied over all the files from the supplied SD card onto my Mini SD card and tried to launch the start app (the one with the tomtom symbol) this flashes up a tomtom screen but then does nothing.

I downloaded the 5.1 update from tomtom but it keeps crashing when i try and run it?

"STEP 3 : ACTIVATE THE GPS CONTROL PANEL"

how do i do this??

The GPS panel will now show up in your connection settings

"Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\ControlPanel\GPS Settings" i can find this through the reg editor but not the rest, all i have when i click on "GPS settings" is something called Redirect?

any ideas? maybe i will have to wait for tomtom to release an update, but if you have any ideas the will be appreciated

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as my info says, you can not run tomtom from the hands you need to click on each .cab file one by one to install tomtom on the device ie gps.cab, tnn.cab etc

you have to make the reg entries under gps and delete the redirect item for it to work, also you have to make sure you have quit the reg file editor or it will not show up at all

Guest benlane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) Cannot thank you guys enough. Tremendous info. Just got the Qtek 9100 - it's close to perfect and I've had them all. I've been using the HP 6515 (I get to play with most of the new stuff) with TomTom 5.1 and liked it. BUT!! without you folks sharing with the rest of us - it would be almost impossible to use on the Qtek. Too bad the vendors don't get like you guys do.

Many thanks again.

Edited by benlane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Step 6 - I only get the option in BT of COM 6 or 7?

help!

--

rmg

Guest ajfoggy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got it working.

6. At BT: select OUTGOING port to WHATEVER NUMBER IS AVAILABLE EXCEPT 6.

8. Finally start TT5 and

CHANGE GPS BT PORT SETTINGS TO WHATEVER NUMBER YOU CHOSE IN STEP 6

it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected.

Edited by rmg

Guest ajfoggy

YOU ARE A STAR!!!!!!

IT works!!!!

;) :D :D :D

Cheers

I got it working.

8. Finally start TT5 and

it should connect automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds and click the GPS settings and you should see it has connected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest pengeltje
YOU ARE A STAR!!!!!!

IT works!!!!

;) :D :D :D

Cheers

I got it working.

8. Finally start TT5 and

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest ajfoggy

I think you problems are caused by not having the 5.1 update, this is essential. If you don't have it you only have the stand BT ports listed. The settings are updated so whatever port you set in the WM5 GPS settings appears in the TOMTOM GPS settings.

Guest mcwarre

@thereaperman

I have tried this method with the cab files on the sd card (used a reader). 3 of them install fine but the 4th (TTN.cab) goes through the location selection, shows the instal bar but then says that the installation was unsuccessful. I have tried several times (including a 'virgin' installation after a hard reset) and nothing helps. Any ideas??

TY

Guest ajfoggy

I would try a different set of software, maybe there is something wrong with the TTN.cab??

I installed that way ok. copied all TomTom files/folders to sd card, then in the 2577 folder installed gps.cab, then the other two, then the ttn.cab.

You are using the navigator version and not the mobile version??

Edited by ajfoggy

Guest mcwarre

I have full PPC TT5 (using those cabs). The TT5.1 update I have downloaded (.exe I believe) uses activesync to update from 5 to 5.1.

Shall give it another try as reaperman suggest. Let ya know in the morning (webless during the weekday evening, boy that hurts) ;)

Guest pengeltje
I have full PPC TT5 (using those cabs). The TT5.1 update I have downloaded (.exe I believe) uses activesync to update from 5 to 5.1. 

Shall give it another try as reaperman suggest. Let ya know in the morning (webless during the weekday evening, boy that hurts) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right. For the SP5 you need ttqvga, regeditSTG, TTM 5 Mobile and you need to unlock software-security.

In the beginning I had TT4.

Thank you all !!!!

g_unit.bmp

Guest mcwarre

Am I being totally thick here? When it asks for mu activation code, I goto www.ttcode.com. I then enter my product code (from licence) and device code from the K-Jam. Then fook all happens it just says invalid.

Can someone please confirm that they have done this and got it working??? Hope fully before I go mad.................