M500 Getting Wm5 In Near Future

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy

Hi guys,

as posted under the smartphone main section, I was at the Orange Academy today.

Good news to come from the event is that Microsoft and Orange are currently busy preparing a WM5 upgrade for both the C550 and the M500!

We were obviously told not to tell the general public, as they want us to push the C600 and the M5000, but for existing owners, this is fantastic news :o

Any more info needed, please feel free to PM me.

Guest Pondrew
Good news on the WM5 front to (and I shouldnt really be giving you this info) - however, we were told that Microsoft and Orange are currently working on a WM5 upgrade for both the C550 and the M500 :o

Sounded like great news... until the suggestion of WM5 for the SPV M500 which makes me think he didn't know what he was talking about. :?:

If the 64meg SPV M500 is capable of running Windows Mobile 5 reliably I'll be a monkeys uncle. I'll be astonished if Orange produce an update for that. U sure they weren't referring to one of the other Pocket PC Phone range (probably the SPV M1500)?

Guest sporkguy
Sounded like great news... until the suggestion of WM5 for the SPV M500 which makes me think he didn't know what he was talking about.  :?:

If the 64meg SPV M500 is capable of running Windows Mobile 5 reliably I'll be a monkeys uncle. I'll be astonished if Orange produce an update for that. U sure they weren't referring to one of the other Pocket PC Phone range (probably the SPV M1500)?

I own an M500 and he was blatently waving one around in front of my eyes saying "Both these devices will have WM5 on them in the coming months..."

So god knows.. he did seem to know what he was talking about tho, being a MS Trainer and all.

Guest Pondrew
I own an M500 and he was blatently waving one around in front of my eyes saying "Both these devices will have WM5 on them in the coming months..."

So god knows.. he did seem to know what he was talking about tho, being a MS Trainer and all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really hope I'm wrong as there are A LOT of Magician owners crying out for WM5...

Guest Pondrew
Hmm... wheel c

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just took me two minutes to work out you were saying we'll see! :oops:

That we will. Still say WM5 on a device with just 64meg ram and 64meg rom is looking for trouble.

Guest Confused Stu

But Pondrew, if we'd wanted a nice, safe, easy life we would all own Nokia's, wouldn't we?! :o

The main thing I love about Smartphones and PPC's is the customizability. If you want to change something, you can, if you don't want to - don't! If they do release a WM2005 for the M500 then I'll definitely try it. If I prefer it, I'll keep it, if I don't then I'll switch (or hack) back to the 2003SE.

I agree, it might be looking for trouble. But I'd really, really love to be able to try it and see rather than Orange deciding for me that it won't work.

Can't seem to word this post without sounding like I'm having a go! :oops: I'm not, I promise! I agree with your sentiments, but put my name down as a "yes please!" :(

Guest Pondrew
Can't seem to word this post without sounding like I'm having a go!  :oops:  I'm not, I promise!  I agree with your sentiments, but put my name down as a "yes please!"  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehe. U worded it fine! No problems :(

Guest thefunkygibbon

why all the naysaying? isnt the m500 the same hardware pretty much as the m1000 and i've had wm2k5 running on that fine for the last 6 months.

Guest Pondrew
why all the naysaying? isnt the m500 the same hardware pretty much as the m1000 and i've had wm2k5 running on that fine for the last 6 months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. The M1000 is entirely different hardware being an HTC Himalaya. The differences are real too as an M1000 has the full 128meg of ram that the M500 doesn't.

See here for all the specs.

spoke with orange over here and the only wm5 update that seems to be rumoured is for the c550 ;) if it does not come out then the first upgrade for the c600 would probably work with a tweak :D

Guest mupwangle

>>The differences are real too as an M1000 has the full 128meg of ram that the M500 doesn't.

Do you reckon that the new jam and the S110 will get it at some point?

Guest creamhackered

Just to blow the whistle on this guy.

Sporkguy has been banned around 10 times on Neowin.net. A forum that I moderate and post news to.

He is well known for lies and annoying forum members.

Edited by creamhackered

Guest Pondrew
>>The differences are real too as an M1000 has the full 128meg of ram that the M500 doesn't.

Do you reckon that the new jam and the S110 will get it at some point?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect it (the 128meg Magician) is capable of it. As to whether ANY of the HTC Pocket PC Phones will receive an official upgrade to Windows Mobile 5, who knows?!

Guest ElGato65

Sporkguy has been banned around 10 times on Neowin.net. A forum that I moderate and post news to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh crap, just as I was gettng my hopes up for the C550, ;)

Guest Pondrew
Oh crap, just as I was gettng my hopes up for the C550, ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be too downhearted. Peekie (a Dutch mod with connections) has heard that the C550 IS going to receive a WM5 update. At least, he seemed to indicate such and I got the impression it was seperate to Sporkguys posts.

Guest sporkguy

lol - I've had hassles with creamhackered over at Neowin, but that's nothing to do with this issue.

All I'm posting is the info I got at the Christmas Academy last Tuesday - don't believe me if you want, but I'm just relaying info you otherwise wouldnt get.

Guest ClintEastman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Cream ;)

Guest thereaperman

lol is it me or are more neowin peeps poping up here every day ! ;)

ps note to self edit sig pic(remove branding etc), lol

Edited by thereaperman

what is neowin ? a sort of msmobiles site ;) :D on a serious side lets keep the thread going with positive posting and no personal attacks on other members or we will have to close this thread :?: Next........

Guest thereaperman

i would belive it when i see it, with my own eyes, this rumor has been going round and round for months no with no concrete info if its real or not. So until i see it, its just a jackonory ;)

hmm i read somewhere that Orange have opted not to provide EDGE or wifi on the c600. So wouldn't an upgrade of WM5 for C550's basically make them a c600 ?

can't see them making an upgrade ;)

Edited by w411y