Tornado has the same soundbug as the Typhoon?

Guest xrwz1

Guest gilesjuk

Different processor, different DSP, different software, different PCB. So I would hope it's gone. Would be rather poor for a company not to learn from its mistakes.

Yeah, I know the hardware's different, but even the old DSP was not supposed to perform that bad (after all it was made by TI and installed in several other devices with no problems and if it was faulty, word would've spread). And as for the software, the moto mpx220 having the same OS and not having the bug pretty much says it all. I would guess that soundbug had something to do with the PCB design or with some faulty components they used for the final audio stage. Hopefully things are good now, but until someone can confirm the bug is gone I'm not willing to fork the cash; it's quite a sum after all.

Anyway thx for the reply, I was starting to think nobody gives a damn about audio quality on these devices anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

No, gone.

Overall I was extremely surprised at the excellent sound quality of my Qtek 8300.

After all you would expect good to excellent sound quality from a device which you anyway use as a phone - and only second place as Internet device.

(This may be different for some of you, but I am using my Smartphone as my business phone.)

In parallel to the Smartphones I always also had a contemporary Nokia phone. They are after all renowned for reliable phone operation and very good to excellent sound (simply because Nokia always used good quality speakers).

My present Nokia is the 6680. It sound quality is really excellent - and I am a really demanding user, believe me ;)

I can tell you that the sound quality of the Qtek 8300 is at least as good as that of the 6680, if not surpassing it.

This is surprising and joyful at the same time !

The initial sound quality of my Qtek 8080 (first release firmware) was mediocre to bad.

Tried the first firware update as soon as it was out, just to find out that then the soundquality worsened to "poor". I was desperate.

Experimenting a few weeks later with the newly issued i-mate firware it became almost good, but anyway ok for everyday use.

So definitely HTC learned a good lesson !

No doubt the internet capabilities of the MS Smartphones (even of the old Qtek 8080) surpass those of the Nokia phone.

However this cannot account for bad to awful sound quality ! A phone is a phone anyway, whatever nice additional feature it might have.

Is Tornado plagued by the same soundbug as the Typhoon variants? link to soundbug thread here

I want to get one and while wi-fi is a big selling point to me the soundbug would be a big deterrent. Can anyone who has a Tornado please shed some light in this matter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>