Removing C550 cover without voiding warranty.

Guest fluffcat1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cjlargear

hey fluffcat1, great post....yesterday I fell down (slippe) and my spv c550's cover smashed (on the bottom of the screen). I guess the orange guys wan't replace it. The thing is that I think I wan't be able to do this by myself. If I could pay you a certain amount could you do it for me with shipping expences all covered by me?

Guest fluffcat1
hey fluffcat1, great post....yesterday I fell down (slippe) and my spv c550's cover smashed (on the bottom of the screen). I guess the orange guys wan't replace it. The thing is that I think I wan't be able to do this by myself. If I could pay you a certain amount could you do it for me with shipping expences all covered by me?

Fitting is

Guest mbosch

I've broken the keyboard connector it seems bad...

Any ideas where to find a new keyboard with the connector?

Thanks

PD: I will keep searching on ebay

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Brownstone
No, sorry that offer is not valid as it was

a): 7 months ago and

b ): for the fascia only and I cannot get them on their own any more.

Richard

No worries boss. I'll get one ordered anyway. So what do you get with the fascia now, that you didn't get before?

BS...

Guest fluffcat1
No worries boss. I'll get one ordered anyway. So what do you get with the fascia now, that you didn't get before?

BS...

The entire casing not just the front.

Richard

Guest FerretAD

Thansk for this tutorial mate - The only problem I had was that the keyboard ribbon is abit short - But other than that, I can now see my screen now all the dust has gone :)

Ferret !

• 1 month later...
Guest adamlayzell

can i just say to anyone doing this i have been a mobile engineer for 5 years now and i have found that the easiest way to take off the housing and antenna cover (without scratching it) is to use a stanley knife blade. you can buy tools to do it but a blade is just as good. i have taken apart over 10 of these phones including my own and the blade works perfect. all you do is slip the sharp bit in the crack and "pop" it open. trust me it works better than a screwdriver, and you will be pissed off when you scratch up your new case.

if you need any more help e-mail me at [email protected]. ill do the best i can to help you not mash up your phone. also just a point, the circuit boards are photostatic sensative so be very careful when your touching it. :D

Guest fluffcat1
can i just say to anyone doing this i have been a mobile engineer for 5 years now and i have found that the easiest way to take off the housing and antenna cover (without scratching it) is to use a stanley knife blade. you can buy tools to do it but a blade is just as good. i have taken apart over 10 of these phones including my own and the blade works perfect. all you do is slip the sharp bit in the crack and "pop" it open. trust me it works better than a screwdriver, and you will be pissed off when you scratch up your new case.

if you need any more help e-mail me at [email protected]. ill do the best i can to help you not mash up your phone. also just a point, the circuit boards are photostatic sensative so be very careful when your touching it. :D

Hmmmmm.....

As some force is needed to unclip the fascia, recommending using an unprotected bare knifeblade to a novice, who is the likely audience for a guide such as this, is EXTREMELY irresponsible. :D

You might have the experience of opening 'over 10' of these phones but I've done a lot more and written many such guides - for a first try a plastic edge such as a plectrum or case opening tool as previously recommended by myself is a better option and will not mark the fascia. Nowhere does it say to open using a screwdriver on the outside either so no risk of scratching the fascia.

Anyone needing any more help opening their phone does not need to email you personally - better to post their question here and get the benefit of more than just 1 opinion methnks.

Richard ( who sells the parts, repairs the phones, and has opened over 200 of this style of SPV without the need for a knife to open the casing )

Guest adamlayzell

ok. i use a knife blade because it is the only thing i had in my tool kit that resembled the tools we use at work. im sure that the people who own a smartphone are all decent adults with at least some common sense. i mean really, how many kids do you see around with a mobile running windows. er non! because you need to be pretty smart to take advantage of the real power a smartphone has, being able to play dvd's and stuff like that. not ' got this nokia coz mi mate got one. look its even got a 1.3 megapixel camera hu hu' ***. maybe i just presumed that i was'nt dealing with children, which i apologise for and since one of your picures shows you holding a pen knife i didnt think that was too bad. i just want people to be as proud to own a smartphone as i am. scratching or dropping a phone can be gutting, especially when you try to take really good care, of it as i do (not like my mate who has had 3 in 6 months, useless). all i was doing bud was trying to make it a little bit easier for people following your instruction. having to send a phone away when you ripped a ribbon coz your 'a bit rough' can be pretty expensive and god damn anoying when you have to send it htc for repair and be without a phone for 2 weeks. i was'nt talking over you and telling other people not to listen to what you have put on this forum. i think its good that someone out there actually givs a toss and is trying to help other people that are having problems or just simply dont know what to do. that is why i came to this page in the first place. and the e-mail thing. just trying to help dude. i have tested my phone and its capabilities for over 2 years. i must have crashed it over 70 times trying new stuff. i only want to spread my knowledge like you do, and stop people thinking that because they have a nokia N90 or samsung D900, they have the best phone in the world. thats bull. 14 of my mates have converted to smartphones because i have shown them what a mobile should really do. im just trying to spread the word that spv's are the daddy, and if you own a samsung d900 you need to lob it because its a ***!! i dont want to fall out with you dude and forgive me for coming over all condesending. some *** had given me some stress at work and i just came home felling that way out. i just want to teach people that if you have the time and the patience you too can have the best phone in the world.

Edited by Gorskar

Guest fluffcat1

Actually the c550 was marketed at 'the kids' - as it was sold as a 'music phone' with big shiny music buttons on the front and a promotional tie in with some free ringtones and tune downloads at launch.

You'll notice also it's not supported on orange's business website, was never offered to business ( they kept the c500 alive for that purpose) and has never had a rom update to enable any new business - type features.

You might not be dealing with children here but your very likely dealing with people who have never taken a phone apart before. You tell them to use a knife, they're going to use and knife....and if it doesn't come away like you describe, they're going to push harder till it does as they may not know better....then when it does come to bits - the knife is going to go flying....

And people who use a knife to open the casing are far more likely to damage the ribbon than if they use a plastic edge to prise it open.

If you are a phone engineer how come you haven't got any phone opening tools then? They are available at Maplins, all over ebay and many other places for pence or even free with the likes of iPod batteries. Bet your customers love the marks on their phones when they get them back.

Swearing and insulting other readers with sarky comments such as 'maybe i just presumed that i was'nt dealing with children' isn't on.

Please moderate your language in future and think twice before posting. If you want to contribute a different way of doing things, go ahead, but don't be irresponsible and always think 'worst case scenario' when describing a method for doing something.

Richard

Guest jamesgreene

HI,,, I MUST ADMIT RICHARD I FOUND YOUR INSTRUCTIONS ABIT VAGUE,,, AND I HAVE TAKEN 3 SPV`S APART USING THE SAME INSTRUCTIONS AS GIVEN BY ADAM, AND THE BLADE NEVER WENT FLYIN,, U KEEP A FIRM GRIP, WHICH A RESPONSIBLE PERSON WOULD DO,,, THANX JAMES.

Guest fluffcat1
HI,,, I MUST ADMIT RICHARD I FOUND YOUR INSTRUCTIONS ABIT VAGUE,,, AND I HAVE TAKEN 3 SPV`S APART USING THE SAME INSTRUCTIONS AS GIVEN BY ADAM, AND THE BLADE NEVER WENT FLYIN,, U KEEP A FIRM GRIP, WHICH A RESPONSIBLE PERSON WOULD DO,,, THANX JAMES.

So write some better ones then! And while you're at it do some better pictures will you?

'A bit vague'.... :D :D :D

Wow. You're first post all in caps. You must be so proud....I'm glad you managed to take 3 phones apart using Adam's instructions before he wrote them here - do you perhaps know him then? If you couldn't follow my instructions why have you waited till now to post then eh? Hmmmmmm.... :D

Guest jamesgreene

yes mate i think i will write some new instrutions and explain my pictures,, and then people may be able to follow MINE alot easier than yours,,, peace out bro, good look with your instructions, dont damage to many phones will you... :D james,,,,

Guest fluffcat1
yes mate i think i will write some new instrutions and explain my pictures,, and then people may be able to follow MINE alot easier than yours,,, peace out bro, good look with your instructions, dont damage to many phones will you... :D james,,,,

Great! Then I'll sell more cases on ebay! Cheers! :D

Richard

Guest adamlayzell

Rchard Richard Richard. First of all you need to understand a few things.

You obviously dont know anything about warranty's or phone manufacturers in general. You have headed this forum as 'how to remove a c550 cover without voiding warranty'. If you tamper with any electrical item in any way, you void the warranty! Just because you didnt remove the little white sticker saying void dosent mean you still have warranty. Dont you think that manufacturers are a little smarter than that.

For example:

1. When you take the screws out the back of a phone, didnt you notice the blue paint all over the thread. It serves 2 purposes:

First, its a threadlock type of glue, which helps keep the screws in place and stop them unscrewing themselves like they used to do on the old nokia 8310, if you rode a motorbike often. Second of all they tell manufacturers if you have been playing about with the screws. Thats because the paint gradually wears off, the more you play with them

2. All phone manufacturers set their screws to a certain torque. When you take you phone to a repair centre they can tell if the phone has been tampered with, just by the torque reading the screwdriver gives.

3. Any new mobile around today has screws that have been made to de-thread themselves the more they are used. Nokia invented them, (if you like) to stop any other corner shop tampering with phones , in the 8850 era. Any decent engineer taking a phone apart can tell straight away if a phone has been tampered with just by looking at them.

you cannot tell people that they are not going to lose warranty if they have a good dig around it with a hunting knife. That is just dumb. Think a little deeper before you start posting false information on decent web sites like this, and stop giving other people false information. Dont worry, i wont be posting or coming on this site again. I dont really want to waste my time talking to a jobsworth like you fluffy. I suggest you go back to work at McDonalds tomorrow and serve me a Sausage McMufin meal and a coffee when i come in to before i go to work.

see you!

Adam

EDIT by Pondrew: Bad language removed (this is a family friendly forum besides which flaming is against the rules...)

Guest fluffcat1
Rchard Richard Richard. First of all you need to understand a few things.

You obviously dont know anything about warranty's or phone manufacturers in general. You have headed this forum as 'how to remove a c550 cover without voiding warranty'. If you tamper with any electrical item in any way, you void the warranty! Just because you didnt remove the little white sticker saying void dosent mean you still have warranty. Dont you think that manufacturers are a little smarter than that.

For example:

1. When you take the screws out the back of a phone, didnt you notice the blue paint all over the thread. It serves 2 purposes:

First, its a threadlock type of glue, which helps keep the screws in place and stop them unscrewing themselves like they used to do on the old nokia 8310, if you rode a motorbike often. Second of all they tell manufacturers if you have been playing about with the screws. Thats because the paint gradually wears off, the more you play with them

2. All phone manufacturers set their screws to a certain torque. When you take you phone to a repair centre they can tell if the phone has been tampered with, just by the torque reading the screwdriver gives.

3. Any new mobile around today has screws that have been made to de-thread themselves the more they are used. Nokia invented them, (if you like) to stop any other corner shop tampering with phones , in the 8850 era. Any decent engineer taking a phone apart can tell straight away if a phone has been tampered with just by looking at them.

you cannot tell people that they are not going to lose warranty if they have a good dig around it with a hunting knife. That is just dumb. Think a little deeper before you start posting false information on decent web sites like this, and stop giving other people false information. Dont worry, i wont be posting or coming on this site again. I dont really want to waste my time talking to a jobsworth like you fluffy. I suggest you go back to work at McDonalds tomorrow and serve me a Sausage McMufin meal and a coffee when i come in to before i go to work bitch.

see you!

Adam

Wow! Next you'll be saying they'll dust inside the phone for prints eh? Somehow I doubt it...

Using the right screwdriver and not inserting / removing the screws repeatedly will prevent wear to the heads. The torx screws HTC use are not anti-tamper and are not listed in the official service manual as such. The threadlock is not consistantly applied to all screws either and the service manual tells you to put the screws safely aside for re-use.

Besides all the points you mention, from experience with warranty returns ( and fascias are not covered under warranty anyway so swopping it then returning the phone later for a subsequent fault is OK IMO) HTCEurope do not check closely the points you mention and HTC's service agent SBE make a phone look worse anyway as they need a guide like this!

Where do I say use a hunting knife BTW? I used a leatherman to remove the foam seal from the old fascia but as you'd be a fool to send your old fascia back with the phone for a warranty repair any marks you make on the old screen with the 'hunting knife' don't really matter do they?

All I said was 'be careful with a bare knife blade opening the phone' and I get all this venom. You must have had a really bad day this time eh? Everyone else seems happy with my 'false information'...

What a lovely post, thankyou.....I had to get all 5 stars on my badge to get the car in my sig free with a value meal.

See ya! What a loss(er)....

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1