TomTom Mobile on c600?

Guest eyup

Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked before, i've searched a bit and havent seen anything other than older software compatibility issues with new phones.

Is it likely that TomTom Mobile (version released for SPV E200 & which i currently own) will work on the C600 when its released?

I'm loathe to have to buy an upgraded version of TomTom so soon after getting the original. Phone upgrade time isnt far away and would like to assess the options.

thanks

Guest roma0803

No, that will not be possible. The C600 has QVGA resolution, a resolution TomTom Mobile 5 can't handle. Rumour is that TomTom is working on a patch, though this rumour is several months old. Newest information tells TomTom is working on a new version (one has to buy or upgrade) that will be released Q1 2006. No confirmation on both rumours though.

Workarounds are available. One is to change the resolution on your phone to make TomTom work. This affects the complete phone and all the programs on it. It will cost a lot of the quality of the screen.

The second is a tool created by the makers of the Mobile Net Switch. This tool changes the resolution only when TomTom is used and the phone is put back in the original resolution when TomTom is closed. Disadvantage is the phone has to soft reset every time you start and stop TomTom, but the C600 will, like my SP5m, do that within seconds. Advantage is you get the nice QVGA resolution and get to use TomTom. I am using this tool for a couple of days now and find it a very acceptable workaround until TomTom comes with a final solution.

Thanks for the reply.

Glad theres a workaround. That why I like these smartphones. People just figure out how to do stuff.

Can rest easy about the upgrade now when the time comes.

thanks

Guest UniqueTouch
Thanks for the reply.

Glad theres a workaround. That why I like these smartphones. People just figure out how to do stuff.

Can rest easy about the upgrade now when the time comes.

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks roma0803 for the info - a work around is enough for me to be use it!!

Time to switch over to Smartphone from PPC ;)

just wish tomtom would hurry up a bit the support on the ppc is better than the smartphone , the QVGA screen has been around long enough for tomtom to make a fix :| maybe there is a new version coming out as the maps from holland are all wrong , roundabouts that have been here for more than 2 years are not included in tomtom 5 but were in version 4 :shock: if they are not carefull they will loose their customers to the other route programmes :|

• 2 weeks later...

according to tomtom this is the list of working phones

Imate SP3 , SP3i

Motorola MPX 220 (Only in Benelux, UK, Aus,Swiss)

Nokia 3230 , 6260 , 6600 , 6630 , 6670 , 6680 , 6681 , 7610 , 7710 , 9300 , 9500

Orange SPV C500 , SPV E200

Qtek 8010 , 8020 , 8060 , 8080

Sony Ericsson P910i

T-Mobile SDA , SDA Music

The list on the other site is not correct :roll: , soon there will be an update to work the c550 , c600 ect but its not out yet

Guest roma0803

It seems to be confirmed by a distributor that this month the update will be available from TomTom. In what format, a patch or so, is unknown at this point in time. It fits with the rumours a solution will be available in November.

Guest roma0803
When ever it comes it will be welcome if not a bit too late for some members who bought the competitions software :|

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess there will not be too many of them. Only CoPilot is WM5/QVGA compatible and is not (yet) available in Europe and I believe only sold as a package wih a phone. Navigon MN|5 is still in betastage and Mapopolis is not realy the same. So I'd say they're right on time.

Guest awarner [MVP]

As I have posted elswhere TomTom are hoping to announce an update this month and that is all I am allowed to say at this point.

But and a BIG but, the compatability list that was posted above is not correct as it lists the C550 which TomTom is not oficially compatable with.

After the update this will be another matter, but until then lets keep to correct facts ;)

Guest keysersoze

Hello Roma,

I am interrestead by the tool to automatically change resolution when using TomTom Mobile 5 on a SPV c600.

Can you send the link where to find this tool ?

Thanks.

Guest roma0803
Hello Roma,

I am interrestead by the tool to automatically change resolution when using TomTom Mobile 5 on a SPV c600.

Can you send the link where to find this tool ?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be right here <

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Hitman_botelle

Has anyone had a problem with TomTom starting but not connecting to the gps receiver on C600?

It worked fine on my C500, but I upgraded and now it will not start my GPS.

I am running TomTom 5.2

I went to the orange shop yesterday and they said they thought there was a Microsoft patch (for Windows mobile 5) to allow more devices to attach under Bluetooth? but could not remember where the updates where stored on the web.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta

SPV C600, TomTom 5.2, UK

Guest roma0803
Has anyone had a problem with TomTom starting but not connecting to the gps receiver on C600?

It worked fine on my C500, but I upgraded and now it will not start my GPS.

I am running TomTom 5.2

I went to the orange shop yesterday and they said they thought there was a Microsoft patch (for Windows mobile 5) to allow more devices to attach under Bluetooth? but could not remember where the updates where stored on the web.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta

SPV C600, TomTom 5.2, UK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Make sure you name your GPS receiver with the word ´GPS´ in it when pairing with your phone. It seems TomTom (v5.20) looks for this word when trying to connect to a receiver. My Rikaline only worked when I named it ´Rikaline GPS`

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hitman_botelle

Back again with more problems on the TomTom Front!

Has anyone had a problem that TomTom Crashes on their C600 phone, when you search for a POI.

It is from a cold boot, so no other applications running.

Program memory free over 20MB with TomTom running.

TomTom Works fine in normal mode. i.e. will navigate home, navigate to favourite, worn when near POI.

But if I search for a POI i.e. select browse map, find, poi, restaurant. The search screen comes up with "one moment please”, locks, and after about 5 seconds it crashes back to the home screen. (or any screen that was last up) If you look in task manager, TomTom has died.

This sometimes happens when I just start Brows map.

Then you have to reboot the phone for TomTom to work again, as I think it has locked up the bluetooth stack.

Guest Motormuis
Back again with more problems on the TomTom Front!

Has anyone had a problem that TomTom Crashes on their C600 phone, when you search for a POI.

It is from a cold boot, so no other applications running.

Program memory free over 20MB with TomTom running.

TomTom Works fine in normal mode. i.e. will navigate home, navigate to favourite, worn when near POI.

But if I search for a POI i.e. select browse map, find, poi, restaurant. The search screen comes up with "one moment please”, locks, and after about 5 seconds it crashes back to the home screen. (or any screen that was last up) If you look in task manager, TomTom has died.

This sometimes happens when I just start Brows map.

Then you have to reboot the phone for TomTom to work again, as I think it has locked up the bluetooth stack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep,

Same problem here with my phone.

I first thought it had maybe something to do with the automatic keylock program. But nope, that wasn't the problem