Gameboy emulator for SPV - ALPHA code

Guest spacemonkey

I wouldn't worry too much about sound, if I were you. Sound on the GB was always crap and really only there to piss off other people. Oh, the memories of long car drives hating my little brother's guts!

Anyway just about to unlocking for the first time now... wish me lock!

Guest PhMajerus

Heh, my first post on MoDaCo ;)

Greetings spacemonkey, nice to see emulators coming to the Smartphone platform :lol:

Why do you want to force installation on the SD Card ?

Installing the emulator to IPSM and the roms in Storage CardProgram FilesGnuboy just works as well (at least on my device), typical CAB package lets users choose where to install the application, meaning they can still install it to storage card if they want to do so.

Try http://www.majerus.net/Temp/GnuBoySP.zip for the CAB and installer.

The ROMs still have to go in Storage CardProgram FilesGnuboy (I would suggest changing that to simple Storage CardGnuBoy ROMs or something for future releases).

spacemonkey and other guys who might be working on the code, you can get the install script from http://www.majerus.net/Temp/_setup.zip, that folder expects to be in gnuboy-X.X.Xppc and to have the Smartphone SDK installed in its typical C:Windows CE Tools folder.

I also included a Web link for some online document that gets installed in PIE favorites, that's an easy way to provide a help or FAQ document without taking any space on the device (the target url doesn't exists at this time, you'll get a page not found error).

Mmm, I've been playing around exclusively on the sound and have come across the same kinda troubles.. Currently ripping out code and a tweakin to try and get the performance up - still have to read through a crapload of stuff about how the chipset actually works though ;) Fingers crossed it will be all nice and simple (yeah, right :lol:)

No, tried frame skip = 10 and it still sounded crap... need to tune the whole emulation end to get it running "full speed" before the sound will come right... ANYWAY...

Yep definately spacemonkey in total agreement their speed is the biggest issue, although games like zelda run great its not very relasitic at the moment to play games like street fighter!

Great work though, i rekon you guys (muff, mboden and spacemonkey) should have a chat you might come up with some things the other hasnt thought off.

Take it easy

DJ Hope

Guest spacemonkey

Emad - Interested parties...

Just did some monitoring of speed. Basically over 2 thirds of the program time is spent just working through the cpu_emulate calls and most specifically the large case statement that actually processes the GameBoy CPU operations...

This would be the main area to target... I'll have a look and see if I can break down some better stats on which ops are specifically taking more time.

That's for tomorrow... got people over for dinner...

Great program.

I have found a small bug you may want to look at. I was playing Zelda Legend of Ages, moving right, when I got a phone call. Program exited and took the call. When I got back in I was still moving right, could not cancel it. Switching phone on/off made no difference. Only solution was to delete the .000 file. That fixed it.

I have re-tested this, and it is reproducible.

Couple of other suggestions, I am sure you have probably already thought of them:

1) Alphabetic sort of rom files

2) Ability to reset a rom from the menu (i.e. delete the .000)

Keep up the good work ;)

Guest spacemonkey

Yep, reset from menu is on the cards... just gotta get the menus working...

As to Zelda jamming going right when the state is saved... that's very weird and is probably more related specifically to the way Zelda handles things... like saves state with right key "down", reload state, right key is up so it does take it out of the "down" state... When you have that problem does pressing right again and releasing it remove the state? Not necessari;y much I can do as it's a bit game specific....

Any more info you could give would be a help...

Alphabetic ROM list... you wouldn't believe how uch of a pain directory access is...

Guest TheDillyYo

Sup yaal - What the dilly yo??

Gotta say im buzzin and all you guys (BIGGUP 2 SPACEMONKEY) have just charged my buzz even further...

This Gameboy emulator has blown me away - RESPEC!!!

Ive had no trouble with it what so ever - all the GB roms I have tried work fabtastically - most of the GBC roms work ok, but some run a little slow....

Im not a programmer myself but was wondering if any1 can boost the speed on STREET FIGHTER ALPHA for GBC as this is an absolute classic and runs far too slow....if ya know what era im talkin about then please some1 sort it out ;)

Spacemonkey man do you think you may have the time to boost the speed on STREET FIGHTER ALPHA for GBC?? cuz as far as I can tell you is the DAPPA DON!!!!

When you have that problem does pressing right again and releasing it remove the state?  Not necessari;y much I can do as it's a bit game specific....
I thought I had tried pressing right, but I tried it again and it fixed the problem.

Alphabetic ROM list... you wouldn't believe how uch of a pain directory access is...

Have you looked at ListView_SortItems (Smartphone 2002 SDK help) - I am not much of a C programmer but it is the type of solution I have used before in Visual Basic.

Guest spacemonkey

OK, new build is up in the usual location...

Changes:

-doesn't leave a hole at the bottom of the screen showing a strip of the homepage (or menus or whatever you looked at previously)

-doesn't need to be in a specific directory. Just make sure the ROMs are in the same directory as gnuboy.exe

-screen in game is a little more centered.. it used to be a little off to the right

-Maybe a performance gain... seems to be a bit faster to me, but your experience with a variety of roms would be appreciated. (tried sound and it's different, but still crap...)

No other things...

Thanks for the new version.

Maybe a performance gain... seems to be a bit faster to me, but your experience with a variety of ROMs would be appreciated.  (tried sound and it's different, but still crap...)

Just gave it a quick try on Earthworm Jim, Virtual Rally and Ghost & Goblins. Seems to be no speed difference to me. I do not have a gameboy to compare to but some games seem too slow.

Just a thought on this (could be way off). I am assuming you are copying the emulator from a Pocket PC one. The Pocket PC is rather more powerful than an SPV and much more powerful than a Gameboy Color. Might there me some code that "throttles" the performance that you need to remove.

One final suggestion. If you do crack the sound, please offer a volume control or a mute. I find most times I play on the phone I do not want it making too much noise. Given the choice I would take performance over sound.

Guest Gorskar

I tried the new version, and It works fine, but I can still see two false buttons associated to the softkeys at the bottom of the screen.

Sterling effort anyway!

No, tried frame skip = 10 and it still sounded crap... need to tune the whole emulation end to get it running "full speed" before the sound will come right... ANYWAY...

EXTRA FOR EXPERTS... 

upset cos your SD Card is full?  Stingy bastard still using the 8 Mb that came with the phone? (I am)

Well, the good news is that GnuBoy includes zlib... what this means is if you gzip your rom file, it'll still play perfectly... (loading time may be a little longer).  That's not regular zip that's gzip (linux people know what I'm saying).  If you're windows only, CYGWIN provides a good set of linux tools under windows including gzip.  If you don't understand what I'm saying just stick with those big fast loading roms and ignore this message.

So, anyway, if I have BubbleBobble.gbc and I gzip it it gets compressed to under half the size and rename BubbleBobble.gbz.gz  Rename this back to BubbleBobble.gbc (otherwise Gnuboy won't find it) and whack it on the phone in the usual place....

Note: Don't need a new version, this has always been in there I just got round to testing it ;)

Thats great stuff, my 32mb card is currently full of roms and this will help loads!

Guest awarner [MVP]

OK updated with the new version now when it loads all I get

is a white screen without the roms listed?

All files are in the same directory as the last version

Also I noted I'm still getting the thin strip at the bottom

and the soft keys.

Any ideas?

Guest fumaras

Great new gnuboy.exe version spacemonkey :lol: :wink: .

I hope the 1.0 gnuboy will arrive soon... :lol:

(and also gnuboysnd.exe with not sound problem).

awarner, in this "new version" the Roms + exe must be in the same folder.

PS: i think it's important to have two versions like gnuboy and gnuboysnd (with and without sound) because some GBC (or GB) games doesn't have sound menu!!! (sometimes it's a big problem :wink: ;) ) and with no sound games (gnuboy.exe) the sound call work :wink:.

Guest TheDillyYo

:oops: Was Me Just being a little THICK :oops:

Got the new version going ;)

Nice1 SPACEMONKEY - Keep up the good work.

Cheers EMAD - duuh i didnt have the roms in the same folder :oops: