Old Smartphone application compatibility

Guest Nicnatros

Guest Nicnatros

Would any programs that run on smartphone 2002/2003 run on 5.0 but just at smaller screen size? I have a lot of freeware games and applications that I've spent a lot of time scouring the internet for, that I don't want to loose.

Here's a theory:

Is it possible for some application developer (not me) to write a very small program which would do the math and percentages to expand the 75% to 100%. Maybe this small program would be copied to each directory where an old program exists and a config file would specify the exucutable to run and the program would convert the sizes.

Just a fantasy... not sure if this conversion is possible. If anyone knows more I'd be interested in if this is possible.

I did this once before for getting PPC stuff to work on the Neonode (a 'smartphone with 176x200 screen but running winCE.net).

For apps, u can just resource edit the dialogs, and it works for the most part. For games, alot of them used GAPI (gx.dll). I mad my own gx.dll that you could place in the program directory if you wanted it scaled down (It would scale down the frambuffer passed to it). Unfortunately there was no way (or way i've found) to hook universal mouse events in windows CE (and variants) very nicely i.e. mouse events across all apps.

Mouse events arent a problem with smartphone because we don't have a touchscreen, but most games now use directdraw because its faster. I know less about that, but maybe its still possible?

I lost my source code to it some time ago, but if its really necesary i could make it again. I suggest you look at the one i made for the Neonode here:

http://www.redneo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=gapi

It will scale down the screen rather than up, but try it anyway. If you don't see any side affects of scaling the screen, i'll make one that scales up instead.