Story - HTC Wizard controversy : is it 802.11g?

Guest sgeary

My wireless router is MSI RG54GS It's definitely G but maybe it does also work with a B - if someone wants to look it up... But I read a review saying Vario was first G device.

Neil

My wireless router is  MSI RG54GS    It's definitely G  but maybe it does also work with a B  -  if someone wants to look it up...      But I read a review saying Vario was first G device.

Neil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there are any WiFi G devices that don't support B and can either be set to use B or at least fall back to B if needed. Looking at your router it does say it's B compliant.

If you are able to monitor your mbps somehow, you can get a rough idea of the connection speed you are getting while copying things to/from your Vario over WiFi. I did this by copying a 4MB file to a shared folder on my PC, then watching the mbps throughput from the config program for my PC's WiFi card. Even though my Vario should be in B mode it was still only getting just above 1mbps.

NetStumbler would work well for peer-to-peer WiFi monitoring I think.

Guest radiator
...I did this by copying a 4MB file to a shared folder on my PC, then watching the mbps throughput from the config program for my PC's WiFi card.

Just out of interest, what are you using to browse shared PC folders?

Asking as I've only managed to get it working once (using Resco Explorer) - was happily streaming MP3's for a while, but when I tried to connect the next day I had an error message saying "no PC's detected on the network" (or something similar) and just can't get it to work again...

Don't think it's a problem @ the PC end either - the other 2 PC's on the network can browse my files no problem.

Do you know of a step-by-step guide I could use to set up my phone for file sharing?

Just out of interest, what are you using to browse shared PC folders?

Asking as I've only managed to get it working once (using Resco Explorer) - was happily streaming MP3's for a while, but when I tried to connect the next day I had an error message saying "no PC's detected on the network" (or something similar) and just can't get it to work again...

Don't think it's a problem @ the PC end either - the other 2 PC's on the network can browse my files no problem.

Do you know of a step-by-step guide I could use to set up my phone for file sharing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just used Resco myself, via it's map network drive function. Once connected by WiFi it found the machines on my network (via autodetect mode under settings). Chose to remember the username/password I entered for access, and since then it's worked each time without my intervention.

I think I had to type in my workgroup/domain as well.

Just tried it again, I turned on WiFi and Resco automatically listed the machines on my network. The machine that I had already set up as a mapped drive was working straight away.

As long as you have it set to automatically authenticate (if required) to the machine you're trying to access, you shouldn't have any problems.

Edited by lekus

Guest radiator
I just used Resco myself, via it's map network drive function. Once connected by WiFi it found the machines on my network (via autodetect mode under settings). Chose to remember the username/password I entered for access, and since then it's worked each time without my intervention.

I think I had to type in my workgroup/domain as well.

Just tried it again, I turned on WiFi and Resco automatically listed the machines on my network. The machine that I had already set up as a mapped drive was working straight away.

As long as you have it set to automatically authenticate (if required) to the machine you're trying to access, you shouldn't have any problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...

Well, I've messed something up as it won't connect to my network at all now. It detects the router, SSID, MAC etc, but doesn't get assigned an IP. I've not touched the router settings, just been fiddling with the phone...

:x

Any updates on this ?

I'm using a HTC Alpine and a Belkin 54G router (which says its backwards compatible)

I can connect but not use the internet :?:

How can i configure my router to be b/g and not just g?

Edited by w411y

• 1 month later...

I got the skinny on this 802.11b versus 802.11g thing by going right to HTC and asking them directly.

Here is the email...

Hi, I recently bought one of your phones under the brand name Qtek 9100 (http://www.htc.com.tw/company/PRODUCTS_IMAGES/PDA%20Phone-2.jpg).

The box says it has 802.11b but your website says it has 802.11g

Does it really have 802.11g? Is that built into the ROM?

If it is 802.11b, can it be upgraded with a firmware flash?

Is there a firmware upgrade available yet?

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Steve

===============

Dear Steve:

Basically, the device does support 802.11b/g.

Regards, Kevin

===============

Thank you Kevin.

Is a Firmware update available for this phone yet?

Steve

===============

Dear Steve:

We will launch a web site: www.qtekcorp.com for update software download in Feb, 2006.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Guest Morninglight

My M3000 connects to my Linksys WRT54G in B-mode or mixed @11mbps only, when I set it to G-only it drops the connection.

I don't think you will gain much from the G standard, the device is not capable of "digesting" a lot of data

I don't think you will gain much from the G standard, the device is not capable of "digesting" a lot of data

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You will gain plenty from the G standard if you are trying to connect to a G only network. Pretty much all consumer networks are G these days. Mine is, my friends' networks all are too. Why would we want to "downgrade" them to B/G just to allow the Wizard to connect when it is known it can do G if only the operators would let it. Mixing B and G on the same network slows it down for everybody.

The issue about G connectivity is not about the connection speed - it is about whether you can connect in the first place.

Guest Morninglight

If the network is set to G-only it is a problem yes.. B-clients slow down a G network much less than in the first generations G, but if it has B enabled but no B clients are connected you should not see any slowdown.

Guest freeloader

If anyone figures out an easy solution to this (short of flashing a complete i-mate rom), please do share.

I'm guessing, someone who's skilled and willing to spend time on this, would have to extract parts from the i-mate rom/extended_rom and release it as a standalone cab fix.

I'm so angry I have to disable G-only mode on my router, but even more because I also have to take the mode down from "Super G with Static Turbo" to "Super G without Turbo" and probably even more that I won't be able to use my phone at most wifi hotspots.

Guest stevo_knuckles

Right

I did a quick search and could not find any reference to this file whatsoever so I will mention it here. (apologies if this has already been spoken about)

I have no idea on these type of things but I have been sent a file called

DJVW_HTC_Wizard_Optimizer_2.0.zip

Now It is claimed to be able to hack the wizard and enable Wireless G?

Inside the zip folder is a cab folder and within this are two files called

Capnot~1.001

Htcwiz~1.000

I am very sceptical regarding this but as I have no idea about hacks or enabling hardware. I was wondering whether anyone else who is a bit more knowledgeable regarding this type of thing wants to take a look at this or has any thoughts regarding it?

Tbh I don't have the balls to try it in case I mess something up.

EDIT: seems someone else has the file and has proven it works since I posted this. See here http://www.modaco.com/WLAN_G_in_all_Wizard...s_-t235348.html

;)

Edited by stevo_knuckles

Guest Morninglight

Check the last post, you don need to import the cab file completely, it screws up some other registry keys too, check my posts in the other thread:

Add this key only:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\TNETWLN1\Parms

add key with name:

dot11SupportedRateMaskG

Value DWORD:

Edited by Morninglight

Guest Morninglight
So, just that registry key on its own is what enables .11g?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I tried it on my girl friends Vario. (read the other thread ;))