JAVA applications / games

Guest davejerome

Guest davejerome

Hi All,

I am hoping somebody may know the answer to this. As far as I know Java is a virtual machine that should therefore mean that any application/game should be able to run on any handset (be it nokia, sony-ericsson, symbian or smart phone). However they are not fully compatible due to handsets having different screen resolutions / processors.

If I am correct with my thinking can anybody tell me of which handsets would have java apps that are compatible with the SPV C500 / C550? Maybe a sonyericsson K700 or 750i?

Thanks in advance

Guest davejerome

Hmmm, on my old C500 I had a few java applications which were sent to me via bluetooth. I think they came from a k750, and were then installed using java. But I was hoping somebody would know of a list of compatible handsets

Guest Anton8770

I tried installing Nokia series 60 java games on my c550 and they worked fine but with one problem....the two soft keys weren't functional making the games useless since those buttons are pretty essential. It's a real shame, I miss the games on my 7610.

yer i used to have around 80 java games on my old k700i, and none of em work now.

i think i'll have to start hunting down games made for the samsung d600 and similar.

Guest SilentlyScreaming

The jar's I had for my SE T610,K700 all work fine, a few nokia ones don't work, and even though some of the games that worked on the SE phones started up on my C550, occasionally the change in resolution prevented the game from functioning correctly, I guess it depends on how the game is actually written.

Tested around 100 of 1500 so far...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ginosergio
The jar's I had for my SE T610,K700 all work fine, a few nokia ones don't work, and even though some of the games that worked on the SE phones started up on my C550, occasionally the change in resolution prevented the game from functioning correctly, I guess it depends on how the game is actually written.

Tested around 100 of 1500 so far...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I find a list of working Java games on C550 (at 240x320) somewhere in Internet ? Or... are you so kind to make a (small) list answering here ? Just write down the best 10/20...

Thanks !

Sergio

Guest SilentlyScreaming

Currently installed, I have 1941 Frozen Front, 1944, 2X2, AA Invasion, DragonFury & Monsterland (ACO), Air Command Alpha Blaster, Alapha Wing, B-Man (scaled down bomber man), Beach Rally, Bomb, Summer Games 2004, The Italian Job, Tomb Raider1 & YetiSports Part 2

I'll try and play through them tomorrow at work, so far, I've only really checked that they load and don't appear 'courrpted' due to screen res changes. I think at least 2 manage to use full res!

Guest jakobdam

The problem is that J2ME (java 2 micro edition) has been tampered with, by the "respective" cell phone producers.

Nokia implemented special classes in their phones, to ease the handling of sprites and stuff. Siemens did the same. Now, Sony Ericsson has also implemented special classes in their phones - and that means that it's pretty tuff nowadays to find true cross platform games.

The SPV's java midlet runtime is midlet 2.0 compliant, but doesn't support the special Nokia/Siemens/Sony Ericsson specific behaviours.

I have made 3 j2me cross platform midlet - and I know for sure that they run perfectly on SPV C500 as well as Sony Ericsson K750i/W800i. :)

Download them for free here:

http://www.vildmedmobil.dk/index.php?side=501

Of course, they're not all that impressive - but they're crossplatform and they're free. :D