Create CAB files to change registry

Guest MitchellO

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

You need an INF then cabwizsp.exe, cabwiz.ddf, and makecab.exe. Check the sample INF below

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

CESignature="$Windows CE$"

Provider="YOUR NAME HERE"

[CEStrings]

AppName="APP NAME HERE"

[SourceDisksNames]

1 = ,"Files",,.

[SourceDisksFiles]

"SAMPLE FILE.TXT"=1

[CopyFiles1]

"SAMPLE FILE.TXT",,,0x00000000

[DestinationDirs]

CopyFiles1=0,"\Storage"

[AddRegistry]

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","Cache",0x00000000,"\Storage Card\Windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet Files"

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","Cookies",0x00000000,"\Storage Card\Windows\Profiles\guest\Cookies"

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","History",0x00000000,"\Storage Card\Windows\Profiles\guest\History"

[DefaultInstall]

CopyFiles=CopyFiles1

AddReg=AddRegistry

You should have 'SAMPLE FILE.TXT' together with the INF, cabwizsp.exe, cabwiz.ddf, and makecab.exe inside one folder then drag the INF to cabwizsp.exe to generate a CAB installer.

The main tweak is located at the '[AddRegistry]' section of the INF.

• 2 weeks later...

No Rizzles dont give up :)

MSDN scares me too. When I was first reading how to make a homescreen I was looking for the first corner I could go cry in!

Theres an insight to cab files here...

http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=93

Basically a cab file can put files in a folder (ie// put an xml and .jpg into the Application Data\Home folder) and can also perform Reg tweaks (ie// system screens such as Start up screen and Shutdown screen)

All you have to do is make a .inf file. This basically tells the cab what to do. Hopefully the link above wil set you off. Good luck

Guest Jamma14

I tend to just edit the setup.xml files within cabs and then recompile/rezip/recab (not sure of the right word to use there) them. That way you can really see what's going on and it's quicker.

Just make sure you don't get lost in all the 's!

James

Guest rizzles
I tend to just edit the setup.xml files within cabs and then recompile/rezip/recab (not sure of the right word to use there) them. That way you can really see what's going on and it's quicker.

James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont really understand any of that my knowledge on the subject is nout!!

Yeah cheers w411y would appreciate that

Guest Jamma14
Dont really understand any of that my knowledge on the subject is nout!!

Yeah cheers w411y would appreciate that

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rizzles, I'd really recommend opening up a cab and looking at the _setup.xml.

I learned homescreen designing like that as well and making cabs is similar but much easier to accomplish.

Edited by Jamma14

You can download it from Microsfot in the SDK Deelopers kit but its quite a chunky download so Ill put the files you need in a rar. Give me 2 secs and Ill walk you through it. I need food first :)

Guest rizzles
You can download it from Microsfot in the SDK Deelopers kit but its quite a chunky download so Ill put the files you need in a rar. Give me 2 secs and Ill walk you through it. I need food first :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok mate, cheers!!

Okay as GPCs site seems to be down Ill just repeat his words in my own way...

Unpack the download and put the folder "Cab Creating Tools" somewhere.

Now you got to create an inf file which tells the cab what to do. So lets look at the one for my Homer Screen....

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

CESignature="$Windows CE$"

Provider="w411y"

[CEStrings]

Appname="w411y-HomerSimpsonWM5"

[CEDevice]

ProcessorType=0

[SourceDisksNames]

1=,Source1,,"Homer"

2=,Source2,,"Sounds"

3=,Source3,,"WMP Skin"

[SourceDisksFiles]

"w411y-HomerSimpson.home.xml"=1

"HomerSimpson-Background.jpg"=1

"HomerSimpson-Message.jpg"=1

"HomerSimpson-Profile.jpg"=1

"HomerSimpson-Error.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Warning.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Info.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Question.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Volume.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Menu.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Startup1.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Startup2.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown1.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown2.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Multimedia.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-Background(Non Orange).jpg"=1

"w411y-HomerSimpson(Non Orange Phones).home.xml"=1

"HomerSimpson-Banner.gif"=1

"HomerSimpson-CanIGoNow.wav"=2

"HomerSimpson-Fail.wav"=2

"HomerSimpson-MailIsHere.wav"=2

"HomerSimpson-Squeel.wav"=2

"The Simpsons Theme Tune.wav"=2

"HomerBackground.jpg"=3

"HomerDisabled.jpg"=3

"HomerPushed.jpg"=3

"HomerWMP.skn"=3

[CopyFiles1]

"w411y-HomerSimpson.home.xml"

"HomerSimpson-Background.jpg"

"HomerSimpson-Message.jpg"

"HomerSimpson-Profile.jpg"

"HomerSimpson-Error.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Warning.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Info.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Question.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Volume.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Menu.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Startup1.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Startup2.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown1.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Shutdown2.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Multimedia.gif"

"HomerSimpson-Background(Non Orange).jpg"

"w411y-HomerSimpson(Non Orange Phones).home.xml"

"HomerSimpson-Banner.gif"

[CopyFiles2]

"HomerSimpson-CanIGoNow.wav"

"HomerSimpson-Fail.wav"

"HomerSimpson-MailIsHere.wav"

"HomerSimpson-Squeel.wav"

"The Simpsons Theme Tune.wav"

[CopyFiles3]

"HomerBackground.jpg"

"HomerDisabled.jpg"

"HomerPushed.jpg"

"HomerWMP.skn"

[DestinationDirs]

CopyFiles1=0,"\Application Data\Home"

CopyFiles2=0,"\Application Data\Sounds"

CopyFiles3=0,"\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player"

[RegData]

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, CarrierBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Startup1.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, CarrierShutdownBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Shutdown2.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, MSBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Startup2.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Splash Screen, MSShutdownBitmap,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Shutdown1.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:ErrorBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Error.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:ExclamationBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Warning.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:InformationBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Info.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:QuestionBox, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Question.gif

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:VolDlg, BKBitmapFile,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Volume.gif

HKCU,ControlPanel\Sounds\Shutdown, Sound,, \Application Data\Sounds\HomerSimpson-CanIGoNow.wav

HKCU,ControlPanel\Sounds\SystemStart, Script,, ap

HKLM,Software\HTC\Album, AudioBK,, \Application Data\Home\HomerSimpson-Multimedia.gif

[DefaultInstall]

CopyFiles=CopyFiles1, CopyFiles2, CopyFiles3

AddReg=RegData

- Everything under [Version] is simple enough. Just change the 'Provider'

-[CE Strings] is what will be said when asked to install. So when running it will say "Do you want to install w411y - HomerSimpson?" and ovcourse you click YES :)

-[source Disk Names] ... these are the names of folders in the Cab Creating Tools folder. So in the folder you just downloaded (including cabwizSP etc" there are also folders named 'Homer' which includes the images and XML. A folder for 'Sounds' and for files to do with the 'WMP Skin'

-[source Disc Files] ... here you list all the files involved in the cab and then give them a number. (as later on in the inf you will say Copy all files = 1 to the following folder...")

-[CopyFiles1] ... these are all the files that are =1 (Same applies for [CopyFiles2] and [CopyFiles3])

-[DestinationDirs] ... these are where your files are copied. So [CopyFiles1] will end up in "Application Data\Home"

-[RegData] ... these are the Reg tweaks I am including (for system screens)

-[Default Install] .. this is what the cab does. So it will put the files from 'CopyFiles1/2/3' into their chosen 'DestinationDirs' and will apply the 'RegData'

Now save the file (from Notepad or your chosen text editor) as *.inf and make sure file type is set to 'all files'

Now drag your .inf file onto CabWizSP in the Cab Creating Tools folder and your Cab should appearin the folder. And thats it. One word of warning.... the paths on WM5 are different to WM2003... ie there is no Storage part to the WM5 OS

Cab_Creating_Tools.rar

Guest rizzles

Cheers thanks for that... seems fairly easy after it has been explained. I'll give it a go and hopefully post my homescreen with a cab.

1 question: when you unistall the theme does it return the extra screens back to default???

Thanks for your help.. wouldnt even have a made a homescreen if it wasnt for your guide!! ;o)

Guest Jamma14

Agreed, a good little tutorial, maybe you could add cab making into your pinned homescreen tutorial??

Jamma

Ps. @rizzles, not completely sure, but I believe they are returned to default.

Guest rizzles

Cheers W411y i can now make cab files!!!

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=ST&f=135&t=235595&st=0

One more small favour if you dont mind w411y... any chance you can edit the xml for me so that the sms and mms counter work on a c600.. i dont have one to test it on but my friend wanted my homescreen on his c600....

bubble.home.xml

Edited by rizzles

GPC... Cant take credit Im just repeating what I learnt from your tutorial :)

James... Good idea Ill go do that :D

Rizzles... Wiked... thats a first homescreen to be proud of :D Thing is... I dont have a WM5 device myself :|

Guides for W411ies :) I like it

EDIT: Posted tutorial in Smartphone Customisation: General Discussion.... decided against adding it to the homescreen tutorial and hopefully it will be pinned also :D

Edited by w411y

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mini_man

James

But how do you do that, i can stop bugging you if you tell me :)

Guest fantimortal

one thing i have noticed when adding extra screens and such is that it while it is possible to add a texture\background to the contacts page via editing the registry (idid it manually at the time) it messes up the contacts part of the phone in such a way that u can't highlight any names, I had to count read each name in my mind as i went down the list because i cudnt see what i was highlighting. Is it possible to add textures to contacts and or start menu... or will it just not work at all ?

I am only asking this here because not everyone can edit the registry and putting it in the cab would prove usefull if it were possible.

Thanks