XDA Mini S - Driver not recognised

Guest Shera76

Guest Shera76

Ive connected my phone via USB and have installed the driver (by right click install on the USBMDM.INF, selecting INSTALL) but my laptop wont recognise the new hardware.

what could be the problem? I have activesync 4.1.

is there a compatibility issue with my usb ports and the type required by Mini s?

TIA

• 6 months later...
Guest rhino81uk

i have just received my xda mini aswell and im having trouble connecting to my pc. I have installed microsoft activesync. but when i connect my device to the usb port it asks me to install new device. when i click next it asks for " the file 'rndismpx.sys' on windows XP hotfix - KB909394 - source files is needed"

Can anyone help me? why is this happening?

this is my first PDA style device so im a newbie. I thought it would be plug and play!

Any help would be apriciated.

Thanks

Steve

Guest Disco Stu

Welcome to the forum :)

Just a thought; have you updated XP to SP2 ?

That might be where the missing file is.

System requirements on the Microsoft site here

Guest rhino81uk

hi. tried downloading service pack from windows website but still getting an error when i try and install it. it says "setup has detected that the version of the service pack installed on your system is lower than what is necessary to apply this hotfix. at minimum, you must have service pack 2 installed."

Any advice???

cheers

Steve

Guest rhino81uk

would it be easier for me to just buy a mini sd card and reader and transfer files that way? or are there other things i can do by actually linking my PDA to my pc? or will the card and reader do the same job???

cheers

Guest Laser_iCE

The main thing why people sync (the key word) their PDA's/Phones with their PC's is to keep the connection between Outlook and your phone going ... That includes Notes, Contacts, Calendar and other things such as Files and Music using WMP in Windows on your desktop :)

The other thing too, is that most applications and games come in the installer format, and by that I mean you download the .exe (or .zip with the .exe inside...) and run it, and it installs it to your computer and ActiveSync, and once the files are copied out of the installer/extracter, the files are then copied to the phone and installed. Sure, sometimes instead of an installer, you can download the .cab alternative, however this isn't that common, unfortunately.

Make sure you have the latest version of Active Sync downloaded from the Microsoft site, and remember, for the most compatibility, run through the wizard that Microsoft provide ;) It makes things a lot easier!

Guest rhino81uk

changing the subject completely. ive noticed that even when i close all my programs down, when i go into my task manager they are all still running? can anyone tell me why?

Cheers

Guest Laser_iCE

If you want to change the subject -- create a new thread... However, since you're new, and the answer is relatively simple, I'll answer it anyway.

When you hit the X up in the top right, all it does is "minimize" the program that was running ... So unless you're running a third party program on top of it (SPB Pocket Plus is the only one I can think of at the moment, I know there's a free alternative out there, just can't think of it! Someone else will be able to help, or search the forums...), you'll never actually close the programs 'til you kill them in Task Manager.

Guest rhino81uk

ok thanks. as long as i know that its not just my device playing up. does seem a bit silly that the only way you can end a program is in the task manager.

• 1 year later...
Guest Ranger2k0

Xda not recognised

Hi,

I have had the same problem for ages but couldn't be bothered to try and sort it out but the other day I upgraded my mini s to wm6 and lost all data but was fortunate to have everything backed up on outlook so I hunted online for an answer and lo and behold I found it - (I don't know if this will solve yours but it did mine) BUT:

1- I had to use a USB cable that had an extra male USB (Double) at one end as the mini s consumes to much power for the pc's USB port like some external devices

2- I upgraded active sync to 4.5 and it found the driver no prob

3- My firewall that had found a new network which I denied that belonged to windows based device i.e. Xda versions (mini s-sp-Xda IIi ect) I allowed it access and was able to sync fully