Ibm JAVA MIDP = insane results!

Guest killerost

Guest killerost

I have a Qtek 8010 and have been using the original Tao Intent Java software for a time now to run some java utils like Opera Mini and JBenchMark 1 & 2. My JBenchMark score has been around 6500 and the best Qtek 8010 score is 6740 for JBenchmark 1 and 809 for JBenchmark 2.

But today I tried IBM's new MIDP 2.0 (6.0) and JBenchmark went totally balistic!! :)

With this JAVA enviroment my score is 23477 on JBenchmark 1 that's almost 10000 points better than the current number one! And my score was 1554 for JBenchmark 2 that's almost twice as much as current top score.

The numbers speak for them selves, if you look at the details when running IBM MIDP 2.0 compared to the standard java.

You can get MIDP 2.0 for most platforms HERE , or you can get the setup file for smartphone HERE or you can just download and extract the attatched file straight to your smartphone. Place the shortcut in \storage\windows\start menu\ and the IVE directory in \storage card\program files\.

Note that when you're asked where the .JAR/.JAD file is located during midlet installation you can install local files with using file:// instead of http://.

weme_wm2003se_sp_arm_midp20_6.0.0.20051128_112311.zip

Guest killerost

Got a message from the author of JBenchmark and he informed me that the IBM JVE reported an incorrect score. :/ But even tough the "insane" result was incorrect, it still feels faster :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest killerost

Several users has contacted me about the installation of IBM IVE 6.0, and since IBM has "forgotten" a installable cab file in the pre-release I made one myself. :) It's pretty much the same as IBM IVE 5.7.1.1 only with updated and some new files.

Note that the IBM IVE 6.0 in this installation is RC3, not final release.

Enjoy..

Edited by killerost

Guest mmmaiki

Killerost,

Thank you very much for the info. I have successfully installed this app on my Audiovox SMT5600. (originally locked to ATT Wireless, now unlocked) (a version of HTC Typhoon, similar to C500, etc.).

I had hoped that it would enable me to use Opera Mini and Google Local on my phone. Unfortunately though, I have the exact same problems with them using this IBM MIDP as I did previously with the built-in Java.

Both programs install fine, with either MIDP. But when one starts Google Local, there is an interminable message "Loading", and it never gets past there.

Opera Mini (just tried the newest version) starts up fine, but it can never access any web site. I think that may have to do with proxy servers. I need to use one to connect to web sites, for the data plan I use. That proxy is set up in the system's data connection settings, and works with PIE, but I don't think Opera Mini reads those settings. Opera for Windows Mobile (I tried the demo) doesn't read the system proxy settings either, but it has an opera.ini file in which one can specify the proxy, and that works. But I don't see such an .ini file for Opera Mini.

Some people using the same carrier I have, but other phones, say they are able to use opera mini, by setting the proxy in the java settings of their phones. I have not seen any way to set proxy server settings in the built-in java on the SMT-5600, and I also do not see such a setting in this IBM MIDP. Is there a way to set it in the registry, or to create an .ini file that sets it, or any other way to set a proxy server setting for java apps??

• 1 month later...
Guest schriss
Several users has contacted me about the installation of IBM IVE 6.0, and since IBM has "forgotten" a installable cab file in the pre-release I made one myself. ;) It's pretty much the same as IBM IVE 5.7.1.1 only with updated and some new files.

Note that the IBM IVE 6.0 in this installation is RC3, not final release.

Enjoy..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get this error on my SP5 WM5 device. The file and directory mentioned do not exist.

post-9037-1143287213_thumb.gif

• 3 months later...
Guest killerost

I've posted IBM Java runtime enviroment for smartphone here once before and I'm sorry that one of the cabfiles were somewhat untested and didn't install properly. To solve the problem I've rewritten part of IBMs instructions for deploying the J9 runtime enviroment for windows smartphone.

If you have a device with WM2003Se, use the file posted earlier in this thread. If you have a device with WM5.0 I've included version 6.1 of J9 with this post.

Deploying J9 to Windows Mobile 5.0

Use the following steps to deploy this WEME Runtime for Windows Mobile 5.0 CLDC 1.1/MIDP 2.0 on your target device.

1. Download J9 for your device:

weme_wm50_sp_arm_midp20_6.1.0.20060317_111429.zip

J9_reg.rar

Guest superman12674

couldt get this application to work right on T-mobile SDA usa and incounters a problem with the preinstaled TAO midlet manager and i try to creat and account at java sun soft and doesnt let you creat and account and i guess you have to have a special account with them and registry settings you have and here i think it only works if your phone is unlock because certain registry settings are lock and i dont think is a good idea to unlock your phone and what happends if you get a dialer or a virus on the phone and some people have gotten some new kind of virusus that are going around that causes not to let oyu reinstal the rom upgrade.

Guest schriss
Hope this works better! :)

Thanks, it works great. Since my SP5 is QVGA, some java run in a window, while for example JBenchmark2 runs full screen.

But anyway, I try to stay away from silly Java :)

Chris.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest derek_k

I see that the font rendering in this IBM JRE is no better than the Intent one... can't somebody figure out how to get anti-aliased text already? :D

Edited by derek_k

• 1 year later...
Guest aries1975
I've posted IBM Java runtime enviroment for smartphone here once before and I'm sorry that one of the cabfiles were somewhat untested and didn't install properly. To solve the problem I've rewritten part of IBMs instructions for deploying the J9 runtime enviroment for windows smartphone.

If you have a device with WM2003Se, use the file posted earlier in this thread. If you have a device with WM5.0 I've included version 6.1 of J9 with this post.

Use the following steps to deploy this WEME Runtime for Windows Mobile 5.0 CLDC 1.1/MIDP 2.0 on your target device.

? This means the file from the first post if you have a WM2003Se device

? This means the file from this post if you have a WM5.0 device

2. Unzip the archive to a temporary directory on your harddrive.

3. Create a directory called T9 on your device. (Ibm suggests the root folder, I prefer creating it in "\Storage Card\Program Files\")

4. Open the J9 folder and create a MIDP20 folder.

5. Copy the previously unzipped bin, lib and examples directories to the MIDP20 folder.

Note: These directories can be copied to any location you choose on the target file system; however, the \bin and \lib directories must remain intact. The base J9 executable and its shared objects must remain in the \bin directory.

You can make a shortcut to the emulator.exe file in the \bin directory. This is the main J9 file and it will install and run midlets.

I've also included a .reg file who will register .jad and .jar files wirh the emulator.exe in the \bin directory.

If you have NOT installed J9 in the \storage card\program files\J9\MIDP20\ directory you must replace this location with the actual location on your device in the J9.reg file

Hope this works better! ;)

Is it possible to install .reg file without registry editor ? I uploaded the .reg file to my device but when I click on it, it say that there is no application associated with j9.reg .

thanks a lot!

� This means the file from the first post if you have a WM2003Se device

� This means the file from this post if you have a WM5.0 device

2. Unzip the archive to a temporary directory on your harddrive.

3. Create a directory called T9 on your device. (Ibm suggests the root folder, I prefer creating it in "\Storage Card\Program Files\")

4. Open the J9 folder and create a MIDP20 folder.

5. Copy the previously unzipped bin, lib and examples directories to the MIDP20 folder.

Note: These directories can be copied to any location you choose on the target file system; however, the \bin and \lib directories must remain intact. The base J9 executable and its shared objects must remain in the \bin directory.

You can make a shortcut to the emulator.exe file in the \bin directory. This is the main J9 file and it will install and run midlets.

I've also included a .reg file who will register .jad and .jar files wirh the emulator.exe in the \bin directory.

If you have NOT installed J9 in the \storage card\program files\J9\MIDP20\ directory you must replace this location with the actual location on your device in the J9.reg file

Hope this works better! ;)

Hi there,

I followed your installation instructions (by the way, I'm trying to install Opera Mini in my Motorola Q), the problem that I have right now is that I can't import the Reg file that will associate JAD and JAR files with the Java install. How do I do it or where do I get a Register Editor that will allow me to import the Reg file?

Any advice will be a great help.

Thanks

Edited by oso53b2

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@oso53b2

Welcome to MoDaCo forum. ;)

There are several applications which can import REG files. An example of phone-based app is RESCO Explorer, in particular, the Registry Editor module. There are also desktop-based CE registry editors which can import REG files. Examples are Registry Workshop and CERegEditor.

Links:

http://www.resco.net/smartphone/explorer/default.asp

http://www.torchsoft.com

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest recordtalk

I can't install any jar/jad because when type url cant wrote "." or "\" in field. Please help

I have a Qtek 8010 and have been using the original Tao Intent Java software for a time now to run some java utils like Opera Mini and JBenchMark 1 & 2. My JBenchMark score has been around 6500 and the best Qtek 8010 score is 6740 for JBenchmark 1 and 809 for JBenchmark 2.

But today I tried IBM's new MIDP 2.0 (6.0) and JBenchmark went totally balistic!! :)

With this JAVA enviroment my score is 23477 on JBenchmark 1 that's almost 10000 points better than the current number one! And my score was 1554 for JBenchmark 2 that's almost twice as much as current top score.

The numbers speak for them selves, if you look at the details when running IBM MIDP 2.0 compared to the standard java.

You can get MIDP 2.0 for most platforms HERE , or you can get the setup file for smartphone HERE or you can just download and extract the attatched file straight to your smartphone. Place the shortcut in \storage\windows\start menu\ and the IVE directory in \storage card\program files\.

Note that when you're asked where the .JAR/.JAD file is located during midlet installation you can install local files with using file:// instead of http://.

• 3 months later...
Guest Umopepisdn

Does anyone know where to find the latest version of this today? IBM seems to have buried this pretty thoroughly, and I'd really like to find a MIDP platform that interprets the backspace on the Q correctly.-Umo