Is QTek 8300 Worth the $450?

Guest Champ

I have a chance to get my hands on the Qtek or the i-mate sp5m. I just wonder if the 450 bones is worth it. Not to mention that my wife will expect a very good reason for "needing" a $450 dollar phone, but that's a good bit of cake that I'd hate to lay down and then see the price drop once once a major carrier starts offering it.

On another note, I saw T-Mobile US now has windows smartphones in their line-up that are just being released - running WM2003!!! Leave it to good old US companies to stay on the cutting edge of technology - what a sin, releasing new devices to the public with a mobile OS that is already obsolete. I don't know what is worse, releasing old sh*t or not being able to upgrade my SMT5600 to WM5.0 :roll:

Guest gacajun

If you want a Windows Smartphone without WiFi check out the Cingular 2125, it will save you more than $100 US. I have an SP5 and paid the extra $$ for it but I use the WiFi a good bit so for me it was worth the extra money. Just depends on how much you value WiFi in a convergent device.

Guest padla99
I have a chance to get my hands on the Qtek or the i-mate sp5m.  I just wonder if the 450 bones is worth it.  Not to mention that my wife will expect a very good reason for "needing" a $450 dollar phone, but that's a good bit of cake that I'd hate to lay down and then see the price drop once once a major carrier starts offering it.

On another note, I saw T-Mobile US now has windows smartphones in their line-up that are just being released - running WM2003!!!  Leave it to good old US companies to stay on the cutting edge of technology - what a sin, releasing new devices to the public with a mobile OS that is already obsolete.  I don't know what is worse, releasing old sh*t or not being able to upgrade my SMT5600 to WM5.0 :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Russia it costs est. 650 USD, but it is worth every cent. Solid body, outstanding screen, new OS (not much compatible software yet, but the prospects!), good battery life, runs much faster then my old SP3, EDGE, I don't need to carry everywhere my iPaq to connect over Wi-Fi and much more. Best device for all kinds of communication for the money (I prefer not to use communicators with touchscreens due to their worse usability).

Champ I went from sp3 to sp5 mate and it is cool...

If you want my complete honest advice, it seems cash might be a bit of an issue, I would wait pal.

There isnt tooo much stuff on it anyway at the moment, ok you have cool toys and you could argue all day but I just dont think that the cost really justifies an upgrade for you by the sounds of things at this time.

Give it 6 month

Guest padla99
Champ I went from sp3 to sp5 mate and it is cool...

If you want my complete honest advice, it seems cash might be a bit of an issue, I would wait pal.

There isnt tooo much stuff on it anyway at the moment, ok you have cool toys and you could argue all day but I just dont think that the cost really justifies an upgrade for you by the sounds of things at this time.

Give it 6 month

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There will be always a new generation... Right now, in February 2006 the Tornado is an actual modern device. In 6 months there will be a SP6 (or smth. else) which will be much better and will cost 500-600 USD. It is obviously that you like the newer device and the doubts will remain. The idea is: you can wait forever! ;-)

Guest padla99
oh I totally agree 100%... but in that time loads of cool apps would be out =]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, it's a REALLY GOOD reason!. On my SP3 I had over 20 apps (which were really useful for me) installed, now I have only 3 :-(

Guest padla99
Hey Padla my friend! What a small world it is =]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)

The question is, when the all good apps will be out. Devices with WM5 are already since 3 months (maybe a bit more) on the market, but the software companies are not in hurry...

Edited by padla99

I have a chance to get my hands on the Qtek or the i-mate sp5m.  I just wonder if the 450 bones is worth it.  Not to mention that my wife will expect a very good reason for "needing" a $450 dollar phone, but that's a good bit of cake that I'd hate to lay down and then see the price drop once once a major carrier starts offering it.

On another note, I saw T-Mobile US now has windows smartphones in their line-up that are just being released - running WM2003!!!  Leave it to good old US companies to stay on the cutting edge of technology - what a sin, releasing new devices to the public with a mobile OS that is already obsolete.  I don't know what is worse, releasing old sh*t or not being able to upgrade my SMT5600 to WM5.0 :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have just upgraded my SMT5600 to SP5 and I love it! :)

Not very many WM5 applications at this time but I do not think we will have to wait long before they become available. Most of the applications I use work fine on SP5 even that they were written for WM2003. The real advantage over the good old SMT5600 is QVGA screen and EDGE. You can actually do some web surfing with that resolution and speed. Loaded with all these features this phone will be good for a while.

Bottom line: wort every penny.

Guest Nubbing

I would have prefered it to have a better camera with a flash and fm radio. My last phone was a sony ericsson s700i.

I got this phone because of the power its got. WM5 acompanied with a lot of power packed in a relatively small, good looking shell. I have always had a big phone because I always want the latest technology. This has the latest technology, it looks good and its a nice size. Perhaps go for the model without the music buttons as there useless.

A major dissapointment for me has been the lack of quality applications to buy it, there are already good apps out there though and there is a lot to look forward to.

Sat-nav, the screen clearly is good enough for it, problem is I havent passed my driving test yet. An advantage of a phone with sat nav is you don't leave it on display in your car, you always take it with you.

Movies, high capacity mini sd cards, like all small memory, are crashing down in prices. Mainly because of fast memory advances. I currently have a 2 gb card that cost me £90, a year ago it wasn't even on the market. Currently it has gameboy roms/emulator and a gig of music. Eventually I will look into ripping my DVD's to play on my phone but I know its a long process, has anyone written a guide?

I love homebrew apps from your fun apps (GAYDAR, bluejacking, board games) to the useful apps (calculators, theme generators). I am looking forward to the emulator advances. Gameboy all ready works, the next step is snes and the mega drive. I like my phone to have a calendar, advanced stop watches, abillity to open Microsoft office documents (excel/word), wifi is actually quite good I use it before I get up to check the weather/news something I wouldn't bother switching my PC on for. Then theres the phone side of things Loudspeaker, advanced contacts options, the phone reason I carry this multimedia powerhouse around.

With other phones you get board quickly. With a smartphone the fun lasts (changing registry keys aint fun though). Get one now!

Edited by Nubbing