WiFi SDIO on MDA Compact II (charmer)

Guest fUNKUS

Guest impy78
OMG :)

Thanks for catching that cant belive i misread it :)

Will test SDW820 and Sandisk 256+wifi tomorrow on new rom

Does it work???!!!

Guest fUNKUS
Does it work???!!!

Apologies again for delays but I forgot that since I moved house a couple of days ago its gunna be a while till I get connected. Dialup's not working yet either so I won't be able to test anything just yet.

Ill be connected and testing asap.

(posting from my mdac2)

Guest fUNKUS
oooo get him!

:)

:) hehe

Will have telephone line by mon-wed so ill get the rom over dialup by fri lol. 50mb over gprs would cost!

Anyone else had wifi success with this new rom?

Guest Roadhog
Will have telephone line by mon-wed so ill get the rom over dialup by fri lol. 50mb over gprs would cost!

crikey, wouldn't like to download 50+mb over dialup. it'll take hours. suppose it'll be quicker than someone sending it to you on cd though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fUNKUS

Is there noone else out there with a spectec or similar new sdio card who can try out the rom?

Bt have been mucking me about so I'm gunna still be using 56k untill after the 24th!

40% downloaded so far tho hehe, ill have it all in a few days, eventually!

Guest fUNKUS

ok I've finally got the rom by finding a cheap dialup and a good download manager, will test and post results tomorrow.

(apologies for the long wait....a misguided bt rep even cut my new phone line off for a week for no apparent reason!)

Guest fUNKUS

Posting again via gprs so apoloies for brevity

The sdw820 spectec card will not work on the new t-mobile rom, infact the small 'i' icon that i sometimes saw on the old rom has now stopped appearing altogether.

Ill attempt to borrow another device to check that my spectec card isn't faulty but if this is not the case, it looks unlikely that the spectec card will work.

However

As anna has said the older Sandisk 256 & wifi now works fawlessly (without annas workaround), good news for some, but still not a perfect solution since these cards are expensive, large and getting rarer by the second.

Keep trying and Post details on any working cards to help those who cannot find the sandisk card.

Guest garyeuph
However

As anna has said the older Sandisk 256 & wifi now works fawlessly (without annas workaround), good news for some, but still not a perfect solution since these cards are expensive, large and getting rarer by the second.

Keep trying and Post details on any working cards to help those who cannot find the sandisk card.

Hi fUNKUS - does this mean all i have to do is plug the Sandisk card in for it to work, or are there still some drivers I need to get hold of?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fUNKUS
Hi fUNKUS - does this mean all i have to do is plug the Sandisk card in for it to work, or are there still some drivers I need to get hold of?

You'll need the drivers to get it working and more importantly the small program that includes an AP browser, its actually a verry neat little program that installs from the same file with the drivers call 'Pegas***'. It should be available from the official website, but ive also put it up on the brother thread to this one on the xda developers page.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kandada
Posting again via gprs so apoloies for brevity

Hi, I'm watching out for any news too - I just got a broken MDA compact 1 replaced with a 2 under insurance and now would like to try WLAN for the first time - to find the option seems to have been withdrawn! - Is it the case that the handset running a non t-mob rom can use any wifi sdio card? What chance the newer 802.11g cards will ever work on the new T-mob rom? Any views?

Cheers from newbie Kandada

• 5 weeks later...
Guest adwatkin19

Hi there guys and girls

I have a T-mobile MDA compact II

I have bought a spectec SDIO wireless card, one of the 802.11b/g compatible ones.

I installed the drivers and turned off the phone and back on again. I inserted the card and got the wireless I thingy. But it doesnt find any networks, and when i manually enter the network details, it just comes up saying the network is unavailable. The little light on the card lights up, and it appears to search, but the information just doesnt seem to get to the device from the card.

Any solutions?

Adwatkin19

Edited by adwatkin19

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Stabilo
Hi there guys and girls

I have a T-mobile MDA compact II

I have bought a spectec SDIO wireless card, one of the 802.11b/g compatible ones.

I installed the drivers and turned off the phone and back on again. I inserted the card and got the wireless I thingy. But it doesnt find any networks, and when i manually enter the network details, it just comes up saying the network is unavailable. The little light on the card lights up, and it appears to search, but the information just doesnt seem to get to the device from the card.

Any solutions?

Adwatkin19

Spectec issued a new driver on the 14th October. My Blue Angel running WM5 can now connect to 802.11g networks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adwatkin19

Hi there,

cheers for that, i downloaded the latest drivers, and yet still no luck.

i keep hassling T-mobile and they just keep saying something along the lines of:

"We are working on an update that should be out soon, but we cant say when, and we are not at liberty to say what improvements will be made to it"

Adwatkin19

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MP-Cyber

HI.

bought am sdio wifi card and card me in MDAc II malfunctions(MDA Compact II A Spectec SDW 820 ).Will advise somebody?Thank you.

Edited by MP-Cyber

The plot thickens...

I'm getting WiFi on the original ROM and I don't think I've installed anything other than the WiFi card drivers... but its very temperamental - seems to take ages to connect but then works fine.

Anyway, I shall wait and see if the new ROM improves things once they've fixed it.

(It's corrupted at the moment incase anyone's been having problems running the update. I phoned it in to tech support on Monday and they're trying to fix it - the guy said it could take a while, so might not be done till next Monday (11th Dec.).

For reference I'm using a 'Pluscom SDIO-54' card. £26 off eBay including P&P.

Edited by PHGN

Guest adwatkin19

Can i just ask:

what is corrupt, the actual rom on the downloads website?

has anybody heard anything about when the next update will be?

Cheers all

Adwatkin19

Right, the Pluscom card does work under the new ROM.

BUT - I'm finding it really random... card doesn't always power up and doesn't seem to like finding network. Once it does connect it's fairly reliable, until the device goes to standby, then I'm back to square one.

Is there a trick to getting a quick connection?

• 5 months later...
Guest lesage

I wonder if my experience helps...? (Using T-Mob MDA Compact II/WM5 updated ROM (v 2) and Pluscom 54mps g sdio)

I get the impression that the PDA 'learns' about the SDIO card such that it finds network much more regularly now. Previously the performance was as bad or worse than PHGNs experience above

Having gone thro resets soft & hard, driver reinstalls etc (- see my posts on Pluscom's own forums) the card would connect randomly & only v occasionally at first: *it* decided when to connect, not when I wanted it to. Virtually useless in fact

Then I noticed that, when it worked, it more often connected 1st thing of a morning after being off all night. I then got into habit of turning it OFF during a surfing session BEFORE it lost contact typicallyafter a pause, per PGHNs experience, so that the last thing the PDAs memory knew was the configuration of when it was actually working

Whether from this action or something else ancilliary, it now connects fairly reliably. After start up, whether during day or after a long break, it generally still needs to be kick started by simply going thro the 'Settings' routine (- not changing anything, on Work network etc.) The card will then emit  4 or 5 blue flashes, be recognised & then generally pick up the network and work perfectly. Sometimes a soft reset assists at this point if it doesnt flash. It then seems to stay live for much longer than before. When it works, its fast...

And incidentally, I restored my PDA to its PRE hard-reset condition (using Spb backup) and the improvement was at least if not more marked then. So I dont think the connection performance has anything to do w/hard resetting in  my case at least

I have read elsewhere that the MDA 'learns' over time on programs quite unconnected w/SDIO use. I presume theres something weird in the memory...

Also theres a v3 of the MDA Compact II ROM on the German T-Mob site. Does anyone know what this does compared to v2? I wonder if it helps this SDIO recognition?

Lesage (UK)

Right, the Pluscom card does work under the new ROM.

BUT - I'm finding it really random... card doesn't always power up and doesn't seem to like finding network. Once it does connect it's fairly reliable, until the device goes to standby, then I'm back to square one.

Is there a trick to getting a quick connection?