PicoDrive 0.52 an updated version for PocketPC/SmartPhone

Guest masterall

Guest zfunk007

Ok, I got Flashback working. The ROM I had didn't work on any emulators I tried. Actually, it was difficult to even get a working ROM. I tried 5 different ones until I got one working on any emulator. But it works great. Now I just need sound in Kid Chameleon and I will be as happy as I can be. Thanks again Masterall. You are a GOD! :)

Guest le_pere_noel

hello, i have a qtek9100 and i am try to run the lastest version of pico drive and i have a problem with the file loading i think the problem comes from de Dll file but i don't know wich version of the gsg** file i should take and i don't know where to put it. thx for your help

Guest masterall
hello, i have a qtek9100 and i am try to run the lastest version of pico drive and i have a problem with the file loading i think the problem comes from de Dll file but i don't know wich version of the gsg** file i should take and i don't know where to put it. thx for your help

It uses tgetfile.dll instead of gsgetfile.dll. Just put it in the directory where you put picodrive.exe.

Guest zfunk007

I discovered another strange bug that I figured I'd report. After loading several different games I noticed that sometimes when I went back into the ROM select screen only about 1/3 of my ROMS were present and the games would then run slow for some reason when I select them. When this happends I usually break out of the emulator and when I do that, for some reason Picodrive doesn't show up in my task manager and whenever I try to re-enter the emulator it takes me to the same ROM select screen, except now it is frozen. The only way to fix the problem seems to be to reboot my phone. Very strange.. Just figured I'd share the bug.

Edited by zfunk007

Guest masterall
I discovered another strange bug that I figured I'd report. After loading several different games I noticed that sometimes when I went back into the ROM select screen only about 1/3 of my ROMS were present and the games would then run slow for some reason when I select them. When this happends I usually break out of the emulator and when I do that, for some reason Picodrive doesn't show up in my task manager and whenever I try to re-enter the emulator it takes me to the same ROM select screen, except now it is frozen. The only way to fix the problem seems to be to reboot my phone. Very strange.. Just figured I'd share the bug.

Well, it is really strange. Is it occurs in all version of picodrive or the 0.47? The file list is created and showd by the tgetfile.dll. I only encounter some slow down and file list problem when my IPAQ2210 shuts down the SD card which caused by battery low.

Guest zfunk007

Well after playing with the emulator (Phantasy Star 2 mostly, sound is a bit garbled but the game works great) quite a bit in the past few days I noticed that that bug isn't a big deal. If it happends I just exit Picodrive and restart it again and the problem is fixed. So for now it is running great! I'll continue to update if I find any other unusual things. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kevinsephiroth
Well after playing with the emulator (Phantasy Star 2 mostly, sound is a bit garbled but the game works great) quite a bit in the past few days I noticed that that bug isn't a big deal. If it happends I just exit Picodrive and restart it again and the problem is fixed. So for now it is running great! I'll continue to update if I find any other unusual things. Thanks!

well it seems that this thread is almost dead....

as so far, the emu is quite stable but it seems that there is a little lack of speed since the availibity of the z80...

Guest zfunk007

I wouldn't say this thread is "dead" I just think that Picodrive is to a fairly stable point and alot of games work at good speeds (on a C600 overclocked anyway). Masterall is working on 3 seperate emulators so I'm sure he's busy and will update when he has a new version. We did get a lot of updates for this particular emulator in the past month or so. So I'm happy for the moment.

A couple of other things to note, Sonic 3 as a whole runs fantastic! One of the best emulated games on this emulator. Except for 1 thing, the bonus levels are very hard to play because they are a bit garbled and actually run a little too fast so it is hard for me to dodge the balls. Also Phatasy Star 2 and 3 have garbled sound issues but 4 seems to work beautifuly. Sonic 2 also seems to be a bit unstable but Sonic 1 works just about perfectly. Thats all for now.

Edited by zfunk007

Guest ottotti

Hello! I have a Sagem mys-7 (or, if you prefer, a mitac mio 8870) that runs windows mobile 2003 SE. I have downloaded picodrive 0.47 on my smartphone whit the tgetfile; I'm able to open picodrive, but when I open a ROM it returns in the desktop :) .I don't know what to do!!Now i'm using picodrive 0.025 for smartphone: i can open a little number of ROMs but they are with no sound :) . Can someone help me?

My device is an IntelR PXA262 200MHz CPU, 32 MB shared memory, dysplay tipe TFT 65K colors 176x220 pixels.

Guest nassersyed2

Hey Masterall,

In what language did you do this in? I'm very interested in emulator porting/game development.

What did you use?

Thanks.

Nas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi masterall.

Great emulator. It works perfectly with sound and "Fast renderer" option enabled. At least sonic, street fighter, mortal kombat and what I have tried..

I didn't read all the posts.. but i've done a search in this topic using "vol" and "volume" keywords (without quotes) and return no results.

Is there a way we can use the volume buttons?

If i go to the key settings, when I press the volume up or down it does saves the button code, but in game no effect :)

If i try to map with LONG press volume button up/down IT DOES WORK (i can use the button in game), but it's to hard to play this way.. for a jump you have to hold the button for a while ;)

Sonic in landscape is superb. But if you can enable the volume keys it will be great...

Thanks for porting

Guest mikeeey
It is modified based on PicoDrive 0.30 for PPC, supports 176x220, QVGA and VGA for both PocketPC and SmartPhone now. Sound, 6-button gamepad and ziped rom features are added into the current version by me.

ChangLog

0.31 Update cyclone to 0.0082, add various display mode and smooth stretch, support both 176x220 and QVGA PPC and SP.

0.31 Fix the key setting dialog.

0.32 Add icon and fix key setting error.

0.40 Add sound support, some games has sound now, Add support for ziped rom, update cyclone to 0.0084

0.41 add 6-button gamepad support, some game running well(such as sf2plus)

0.42 add battery-backed ram support for some game less than 2MB, add 3-button/6-button setting, fix unable to save start key setting.

0.43 add battery-backed ram support for all game, fix 3-button/6-button setting dialog

0.43a fix uncompressed and gziped rom loading problem, fix save state becomes a replay problem.

0.43b fix the bug for unable loading bin or smd file which introduced in 0.43a, add menu key(used for pause game) setting, fix WM5 system key setting problem

0.44 add z80, dac, psg emulation, most game play with sound correctly, add frame limit setting

0.45 fix some memory handling (some from PicoDriveN 0.8, thanks notaz), add VGA support, fix display problem when receive a phone call

0.45a fix SRAM save problem

0.46 merge cyclone 0.0083(from PicoDriveN 0.8) to 0.0084, add new portrait large display mode, add banking mechanism support(Super Street Fighter 2 is able to run now), add fast render(from PicoDriveN 0.8), add screen pad for PocketPC, fix z80 unable to disable, update screen pad skin(thanks philipfei@IOICN)

0.46a add screen pad in landscape left mode, fix the display position error when enable fast render.

0.47 add shadow&highlight effect support, fix video status when go into the display section, add screen pad setting, optimize z80 a bit, able to load old save state now, add accurate frame emulate(disable fast render will enable accurate frame emulate), reorganize the screen button position

It need a free version tgetfile.dll to run, which can be get from http://tillanosoft.com/ce/tgetfile.html

its perfect on my phone only 1 thing....QVGA is not properly fiting the entire game in the screen. the right and left edges are cut off.

Guest mikeeey
its perfect on my phone only 1 thing....QVGA is not properly fiting the entire game in the screen. the right and left edges are cut off.

also i must add that u cant adjust the framerate. u can only add numbers on but backspace doesnt seem to work

Guest Cescone

Also if you could add a "stretch-to-fit" mode for QVGA phones, that fills the entire screen or at least the most part of it, even if the aspect ratio will be wrong, I'll really appreciate it :)

Like this:

examplexo5.jpg

Edited by Cescone

Guest djtwok

Found a bug (i think so): While all games run really fast, streets of rage 1 is extreme slow (dont think its the z80 emu, sonic 1 runs great).

Guest mikeeey
Also if you could add a "stretch-to-fit" mode for QVGA phones, that fills the entire screen or at least the most part of it, even if the aspect ratio will be wrong, I'll really appreciate it :)

Like this:

examplexo5.jpg

Cescone is the picture on the left the way how large portrait looks on your phone or how u wish for it to look? for me it looks like this:

soniclargeportraitva3.jpg

edges are cut off

so i have to use just normal portrait. wich looks like this:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8761/so...portraituc9.jpg

i dont like that its a lot smaller.

i did like your idea of the picture in the right.

Guest mikeeey

o and masterall i also noticed that when you try to adjest the framerate you cant backspace. so you hav to leave it at 60, or add numbers onto it wich is pretty useless considering that just crashes picodrive lol.

Guest mikeeey
o and masterall i also noticed that when you try to adjest the framerate you cant backspace. so you hav to leave it at 60, or add numbers onto it wich is pretty useless considering that just crashes picodrive lol.

woops lol it looks like i already said that at the top

Guest Cescone
Cescone is the picture on the left the way how large portrait looks on your phone or how u wish for it to look?

Yes, it looks exactly as in your picture. I wish masterall could implement a "stretch-to-fit" qvga mode, that could fill at least the 90% of the screen; I know that the games would have a wrong aspect ratio then, but the screen of the phone is so tiny that IMHO anyway you could see the action on the screen better.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OMOIKANE

When Blaze hitting enemy with punch in Streets of Rage 2 JE emu freezes

about 1-1,5 sec. If z80 disabled glitch disappeared. But intresting - cutted) Street of Rage 2 U run w/o that problem. And yes, SoR 1 is _VERY SLOW_

...and Beyond Oasis works great :-) Yep.

Thank U for The Emulator.

sorry'bout my runglish.

lmao @ the bad 'runglish' :)

anyways, just though i mention that Streets of Rage 3 runs awesome with great sound on my c600, as well as Super Street Fighter 2, Mortal combat 2 (no sound) and Sonic 1.

I was so glad my absolute fav genesis game 'ghouls and ghosts' is excellent on this emmulator with full sound support.

Thanks for this masterall !!!

odt

Guest mikeeey
hy,i can't modify the fps rate on my spv c500 and on fifa 97 the text is invisibal,why?

me neither but i found out 1 way. its a real hassle but u know the program true connect made by raspberry software? well have that activated so u can move the mouse off the monitor onto ur phone and u would use ur keyboard to not backspace, but to say ctrl+x and that would cut the text and then u can add a number from there.

i imagine tho that theres probably a program out there that adds a copy/cut and paste function to the smartphone. that would work to if there is such a program.

does anyone know of one?

not tryin to get off topic here but just for the framerate fixing without making life too hard