Tornado PowerControl

Guest merwin

This is probably one of the silliest questions ever, but how do I uninstall v1.4? I'm new to the smartphone scene and all I can find is the 'Remove Programs' under 'Settings.' Is there something obvious that I am missing?

edit: I would like to note that my 'Remove Programs' is empty except for NCF 2.0. I found a thread where the 'Remove Programs' list empties itself when there are more than 50 entries, but I only have approximately 15 programs installed.

Edited by nashash

Guest dewdman42

Very cool program. One question for you. When I am using a media player such as WMP or others to play MP3's, I prefer that the screen go dim to save some battery life. What's going to happen if I have TPC turned on at that moment?

Guest dewdman42

Another question. I'm trying to install the CF2 you mentioned. I have 800MB free on my storage card. When I try to run the cab installer, it prompts me for where to install it. I select storage card, and it begins to work, but when it gets 5/6 done it says I'm out of space and fails. Are you sure this can be installed on the storage card? What am I missing?

Another question. I'm trying to install the CF2 you mentioned. I have 800MB free on my storage card. When I try to run the cab installer, it prompts me for where to install it. I select storage card, and it begins to work, but when it gets 5/6 done it says I'm out of space and fails. Are you sure this can be installed on the storage card? What am I missing?

Unfortunatelly, still some part is installed to the device (just a part to storage card), you have to free some space for that :D

Hi merwin

But first I would like to say: thanks for the great and useful application.

And now I would like to contribute to the discussion concerning new feature called "Automatic CPU Speed Control". As a programmer (author of the DontForget app, see http://blog.softimage.cz/?page_id=26) I have a few comments and maybe points for the final release (or the next one).

First, is a small one. Why you just "minimize" your app and do not set the main window as invisible to hide it completely. Do you have any reason for such behaviour ? You can use just .Visible=false property to do that, I'm doing it the same way in my app. It's annoying to "see" the window still present when switching tasks etc.

Second is concerning AutoCPU control.

Current strategy you hard-coded into is fine, but sometimes and maybe for some people is not applicable.

E.g. once the CPULoad is low but the display is still on (or maybe dim), AutoCPU switches to lowest value - CPUAuto1. This can cause a GUI (window redraw etc.) is too slow when the user just "sleeps" a while and after 20 seconds continues in work - just an example. You can say: set the CPUAuto1 to the same as CPUAuto2. Yes, contrariwise this can drain the battery.(Have to say, for me the best values are: CPUAuto1==156,CPUAuto2==204,CPUAuto3==240 - i have Qtek 8310.) Someone is preffering to have max. CPU power most of the time, someone wants to do that just when running "slow" application, and someone wants just to save a battery life when idle. From my point of view the best is either: implement 3 or 4 hard coded strategies (as described below) or give the user a possibility to "create" the strategy itself - or to have both possibilities, when the user can save own strategy but still he can choose from predefined one.

And what about strategies? I found a picture describing similar idea here:

http://www.immiersoft.com/images/XCPUScalar1.jpeg

It's for PPC, I know, so the program interface have to be changed, sliders replaced by comboboxes etc.

Also it would be great to extend this by the Display state, whether is On or Off, because sometimes the lowest CPUSpeed is needed when the CPU Load is small and the display is off - means is in some kind of idle state.

Now I will try to describe my point of view as a "program code" (example):

Predefined strategy #1 - Maximum performace

if(CPULoad >= 30%) Apply(CPUAuto3)

if(CPULoad < 30%) Apply(CPUAuto2)

if(CPULoad < 10% and Display.IsOff) Apply(CPUAuto1)

Predefined strategy #2 - Good performace

if(CPULoad >= 50%) Apply(CPUAuto3)

if(CPULoad < 50%) Apply(CPUAuto2)

if(CPULoad < 20% and Display.IsOff) Apply(CPUAuto1)

Predefined strategy #3 - Normal

if(CPULoad >= 65%) Apply(CPUAuto3)

if(CPULoad < 65%) Apply(CPUAuto2)

if(CPULoad < 30% and Display.IsOff) Apply(CPUAuto1)

Predefined strategy #3 - Power-saving

if(CPULoad >= 75%) Apply(CPUAuto3)

if(CPULoad < 75%) Apply(CPUAuto2)

if(CPULoad < 40% and Display.IsOff) Apply(CPUAuto1)

I think that's sufficient, I wanted just to "bring" my ideas and views into the problem.

But maybe you at least will think about...

Guest dewdman42
Unfortunatelly, still some part is installed to the device (just a part to storage card), you have to free some space for that :D

Well I have 3MB free on the device. Isn't that plenty of space for this "tiny bit"?? it says it needs 5MB to install it. Seems that you need to have this much space on the device at the time you install it, even if you end up keeping it on the storage card. (shrug). I dunno. I've tried a lot of times to install this with 3-4MB of free space on my device and 800MB free on the storage card. Always the same message about device running low on memory.

Well I have 3MB free on the device. Isn't that plenty of space for this "tiny bit"?? it says it needs 5MB to install it. Seems that you need to have this much space on the device at the time you install it, even if you end up keeping it on the storage card. (shrug). I dunno. I've tried a lot of times to install this with 3-4MB of free space on my device and 800MB free on the storage card. Always the same message about device running low on memory.

Are you copying the cab installer to the storage card and then running the cab from there? That should allow you to install it to the storage card.

If you're running the cab installer from windows, or running it from the phone memory, you probably won't have enough free memory to install it anywhere.

Guest dewdman42
Are you copying the cab installer to the storage card and then running the cab from there? That should allow you to install it to the storage card.

If you're running the cab installer from windows, or running it from the phone memory, you probably won't have enough free memory to install it anywhere.

Yes I did copy it to the storage card and try to run it from there.

Guest Sky_Walker

I have installed TPC 1.4 on my HTC MTeoR, but it doesn't work properly... :rolleyes:

when I run the aaplication, the screen switches to "dim"-mode, but when I press any button it goes back to "bright"-mode and stay in it untill I press "Quit" in the TPC... The same thing appears when I try to use Tornado Low Light... Are there any solutions for this problem? May be there are some keys in the register, which are responsible for this apperance: when a button is pressed, the display mode changes?

Edited by Sky_Walker

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hidden_dragon

I have a Cingular 3125 and have installed CF2. However, after installing TPC 2.0, it says that I must run a newer version of CF. How do I determine if CF2 was properly installed on my device?

Guest jcostantino

If I'm not mistaken, the CAB file needs to have enough space free in main memory to expand because that's where the temporary file directory is. When I was installing .NET CF 2.0, I had to uninstall programs to free up space to allow it to install. Also, I think .NET CF eats about 2mb in main memory and sends the rest to the storage card.

Guest atlzbest25
if you want more (or less) speed than 228

just use regeditSTG.exe to edit ..TornadoPowerControl registry

1.HKEY_LOCAL_MAC..

2.SOFTWARE

3.tornadoPowerCont..(push:Values)

then you are free to change your speed values from the registry(CPUSpeed,CPUAuto1..2..3) Thats it!

There is no CPUAuto1..2..3.. ? Is that in ver 20b4?

how can i change the default 116/180/204/228 Speeds?

Guest PEK93RT

Event Shortcuts:

* Event Shortcuts are started whenever the phone display changes modes

* If the files do not exist or are empty, they will not be executed and an error will be displayed in the application

* Any application can be executed from these links.

* Create and place the following files in the same folder as TornadoPowerControl.exe

Power_On.lnk

Power_BacklightOff.lnk

Power_UserIdle.lnk

* The shortcut files that are included with the application are empty and must be replaced with real links before they will work

What the heck do i do to create shortcuts? Im just starting to mod my phone and i looked everywhere to no avail, plz help

can someone please explain the "power_on.ink, power_backlight.ink and power_useridle.ink"?

i just installed this app, and the readme says to create files in the same folder as tpc.exe (/programs/tpc/ ). there are folders with these names there already.

now, here in the thread, it says to create shortcuts. what am i to link these shortcuts to?

I'm a very happy user (for months!) of TPC. But, I am also confused (very) as to what these files do. I understand how to use them, but for what purpose?

I'm wondering what someone would put in these files. What would I want to start every time the mode changes?

Any purposeful examples?

Guest adamsbrian74

3 quick questions on this app.

1.) Is there a way to get the CPU Status indicator on the homescreen?

2.) Is it possible to set this application up to auto start from the startup folder and auto minimize so it's always running when the phone is booted, etc?

3.) Also, does it need to run as an app? Couldn't this be setup as a service so it's not in the list of applications from a task manager perspective?

I just stumbled on to this application, and got it to install perfectly on my Dopod S300.....just starting to actually use it and wanted to see if those 3 questions were worth the time of this typing!

Thanks!

Guest sergiopi
HTC S 620 stable at 264 mhz, but more reliable at 252 mhz, thanks for this great ap. video quality increasead dramaticly!!!

On my HTC 620 I am using it to have more battery time... Power Control and the DOWNCLOCK feature are important for me. Any experience using omaclock on Excalibur or Tornado devices to improve battery life?

Guest heavylift
On my HTC 620 I am using it to have more battery time... Power Control and the DOWNCLOCK feature are important for me. Any experience using omaclock on Excalibur or Tornado devices to improve battery life?

As for the overclocking feature, there is no doubt, at least for me, that the speed increases and also, battery consumption, not that great deal, but is preceptable. i´ve tried to underclock to many speeds, 108, 124, but normaly i´ll go for 132 mhz that is the first speed sugested by the program, well is shure that something is working slower, menus, everything, what is odd , is the fact that , i at least with my s620, can´t find any, SuBSTANCIAL diference in battery consumption or economy, i ain´t saying that it don´t exists, but is not perceptable to me, that for me is enought for using the normal clock speed of 201mhz ( the program says it´s running at 186 mhz..) for battery saving, anyway . (for instances, if you compare the underclock feature as for battery saving, with the tornado low light, the dim light feature will give u much more autonomy , hands down)

Edited by heavylift

• 2 weeks later...

@ heavylift

Just curious to know how you were able to change the default highest setting of 228 in the PowerControl App to 252 or 264 for your Excalibur. Basically I would like it to be at 252 at all times, I guess the only way is to have the app (PowerControl) running in the background all the time even when the device goes into standby so when awakened it will still be overclocked at 252. I would greatly appreciate your time and help, thank you.

Regards,

Guest andy_sutton

Can someone clear me up on this please? I created the shortcuts as follows but I left them with the default of pointing to the executable with no options. Is that how it's intended to work if I have TPC set to auto-CPU?

Power_On.lnk

Power_BacklightOff.lnk

Power_UserIdle.lnk

All contain:

60#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe"

Do I need to add options after them to manually change CPU and brightness or will the Auto function take care of that for me?

I also created a shortcut in the \windows\startup folder to start TPC automatically and hide (below)

60#"\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe" hide

But it doesn't hide it pops up in the foreground and I have to exit. Again is this the way it's intended to work or am I doing something wrong?

-Andy-

Edited by andy_sutton

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.