Yet another "What handset should I get" query

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

Right...

Now that we know (or strongly now believe) that T-Mobile ARE to give us a 2GB data pack for just £7.50 plus tariff, I am after another tariff package, and handset.

So I am after the advice of you lot as to what I should get.

Should I get an MDA Pro, and keep for those odd occasions I travel away given its 640x480 screen, now that I sold my laptop.

Should I get the same, but sell it on eBay to subsidise/cover the cost of my tariff?

(Bear in mind, our lass already took out a Flext tariff, so I already have a new MDA Vario handset with co-pilot, so can use this NEW SIM I am getting, in that).

Or should I get a new Vario and sell that, or even get a Nokia, just for quick sale of it on eBay?

What do you lot think?

I should add that even on lesser tariffs, I can get the MDA Pro for just £99 online - compare that to the £329 I was quoted in a T-Mobile franchise store just today for the same tariff (by the way, as much as the salesman had not read it yet, he DID show me the latest T-Mobile circular for dealers, where all these new Relax or Flext + WnW Bundle tariffs are listed in it, so the literature is now out with dealers).

I can get the vario for a tenner or less, or with co-pilot and gps for £79.99

All these descisions - what say you lot?

And should I do it now, and add the bundle via My T-Mobile web page, or wait til 1st April in the hope of better subsidies for combined deals, only to find by then they pull the 25% discount.

Guest pjam001

Reply from an email I sent T-mobile.

Thanks for contacting us about our current Flext offers.

I'm happy to hear that you're thinking of joining T-Mobile as a new pay monthly customer.

Our current Flext deals offering 25% line rental discount for life will be available until 30 April.

Please note, this offer is only available if you arrange your new contract via our website, sales department or a T-Mobile retail store.

Guest shadamehr
Reply from an email I sent T-mobile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet.

So anyone wnat to offer any views as to what I should do/go for then?

Guest pcsurgeonuk

I am ringing up for a MDA pro today, decided on the flext thing.

I have heard from Tmobile upgrade department that the 25% off deal is being pulled end of this month. Could have been a 'please upgrade now so I can get your commission' ploy, so difficult to tell as they all lie to you so often. Cant get a straight answer. I do calls more than data so am keen to get the disscount, dont want to take the risk of letting it get away!

I am going for the MDA pro with BT headset as my main phone. Am still concerned about the size but think its manageable so going to go with it anyway. Really hope I dont regret it, going to be stuck for 18 months if I do.

Thought long and hard about the vario but decided against it because:

smaller resolution, keyboard aint as great, rubish proccessor and doesnt have full SD (already have cards I can use).

About the co-pilot, what gps reciever do they give you? They tell me which one it is. After arguing with them on Friday they eventually said "its in the phone" ... lieing little *&%$^&&^%$%...

Good luck battling the upgrade department, I go into battle this afternoon I think.

Julian

Guest chucky.egg
Should I get an MDA Pro, and keep for those odd occasions I travel away given its 640x480 screen, now that I sold my laptop.

No. Just because it's over-sized and overweight doesn't make it a laptop replacement.

Should I get the same, but sell it on eBay to subsidise/cover the cost of my tariff?

Not a bad idea

Or should I get a new Vario and sell that, or even get a Nokia, just for quick sale of it on eBay?

Better idea. Get the thing that sells for most, but sells well. No point having a phone knocking around because it's hard to shift

I can get the vario for a tenner or less, or with co-pilot and gps for £79.99

Where? How?

Vario is probably my first choice for a "keeper", even with the mSD slot. :frown:

And should I do it now, and add the bundle via My T-Mobile web page, or wait til 1st April in the hope of better subsidies for combined deals, only to find by then they pull the 25% discount.

Given the 25% closes at the END of April, and you can't get the data bundle yet AFAIK... I'd wait. In fact I am waiting

Guest shadamehr
No.  Just because it's over-sized and overweight doesn't make it a laptop replacement.

Not a bad idea

Better idea.  Get the thing that sells for most, but sells well.  No point having a phone knocking around because it's hard to shift

Where?  How?

Vario is probably my first choice for a "keeper", even with the mSD slot.  :frown:

Given the 25% closes at the END of April, and you can't get the data bundle yet AFAIK... I'd wait.  In fact I am waiting

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where - T-Mobile online - that's the costs, with the Flext Lower cost tariff I was thinking off - free for vario, £99.99 for MDA Pro

Data bundle CAN be got now - by taking out the tariff, then adding it self, via "My T-Mobile" once your sim arrives.

Guest pcsurgeonuk

ordered my MDA Pro on Flext 35 last night.

had a hellish time doing it though, the upgrade department said I would have to pay £300 for the MDA Pro, as I don't spend loads every month. Aparently a new customer who might spend more is more worth the risk than someone whos paid 35 a month for the past 2 years.

So I went on as a new customer... bought it with a new sim card, when it gets here I will request transfering my number accross and cancelling my old contract. Il be in exactly the same place as if they had offered me an upgrade except I get the 'new' customer deals... very stupid and insulting move on T-mobiles part... glad I got what I wanted out of them tho!

Julian

Guest shadamehr
ordered my MDA Pro on Flext 35 last night.

had a hellish time doing it though, the upgrade department said I would have to pay £300 for the MDA Pro, as I don't spend loads every month. Aparently a new customer who might spend more is more worth the risk than someone whos paid 35 a month for the past 2 years.

So I went on as a new customer... bought it with a new sim card, when it gets here I will request transfering my number accross and cancelling my old contract. Il be in exactly the same place as if they had offered me an upgrade except I get the 'new' customer deals... very stupid and insulting move on T-mobiles part... glad I got what I wanted out of them tho!

Julian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXCEPT...

Since when could you number PORT on the same network and the same airtime provider/billing company? O2 WILL let you port from O2 High Street Tariff, to O2 Online, but as best we all knew, no network would let you PORT from themselves, TO themselves (and technically, that's a migration, not a PORT, as OFCOMM rules define a port as to another network).

Or are you taking your number to a PAYG SIM card first, then porting again?

Guest chucky.egg
...bought it with a new sim card, when it gets here I will request transfering my number accross and cancelling my old contract....

A few years ago Orange did let me move numbers between contracts once in the past, but only after a mistake at their end - I'm not sure it's something they'll do willingly.

But, at the end of the day, I suspect nobody actually knows your number. Everyone saves it to their phone and they dont remember it themselves.

What I normally do is just get a new number and use the first months bundled SMSs to tell everyone the new number.

Guest pcsurgeonuk

Il kick up such a fuss if it isn't possible... people in sales team swore that it was.

Yeah it doesnt really matter, just a pain... I use my phone for business and would have to send 500+ texts at least... and you know not everyone would get it and would be ringing me in an emergancy on a number that I no longer use.

Guest shadamehr
Il kick up such a fuss if it isn't possible... people in sales team swore that it was.

Yeah it doesnt really matter, just a pain... I use my phone for business and would have to send 500+ texts at least... and you know not everyone would get it and would be ringing me in an emergancy on a number that I no longer use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can sympathise with you in terms of the Sales staff saying it was ok.

But can I just ask, what was it made you yourself think this was possible.

In all my years, I've never yet heard of another person ever managing it...

Didn't you think it was a bit suspect yourself?

Anyway, let us know how you get on mate. Good luck.